Question

dantilley

It appears that as you make more and more posts, your member "level" underneath your avatar progresses from being Newbie, to Member, to Advanced member, etc. What are the boundaries for these member types?

Also, some people seem to have put in their own customised member type (e.g. "Addicted member" for Jai Dee, "Cold as Ice" for Ice Maiden), how do you do that?

Thanks a lot,

Dan.

I think it goes as follows:

0-9 posts Newbie

10-49 posts Member

50-499 posts Senior Member

500-999 posts Advanced Member

1000-1999 posts ?

2000 + posts Platinum Member

Maybe some errors/gaps in the above, but you get the gist?

Once you get to 500 posts you can edit your Member Status description like I have to read anything you like.

:D

/Edit - I just re-read what I posted and there are definitely some errors in it.

Anyone know the actual cutoffs? :o

Edited by Jai Dee

according to huski the following is the case:

Newbie 0

Member 10

Advanced Member 30

Senior Member 100

Super Member 1000

Platinum Member 2000

Titanium Member 5000

Star Member 10000

however if you look up at Jai Dee he should be in the Platinum group from his post count. So things mayhave changed since huski posted the above member group titles.

however if you look up at Jai Dee he should be in the Platinum group from his post count. So things mayhave changed since huski posted the above member group titles.

Maybe I've been held back (just like at school) until I improve the quality of my posts? :o

Newbie 0

Member 10

Advanced Member 30

Senior Member 100

Super Member 1000

Platinum Member 2000

Titanium Member 5000

Star Member 10000

True, but then Jai Dee has probably over-written his "Platinum Member" status with his own "Addicted Member", customised one. However, I notice that George is a "Platinum Member" with 9,000+ posts, so the Titanium boundary mentioned above appears to be wrong.

Newbie 0

Member 10

Advanced Member 30

Senior Member 100

Super Member 1000

Platinum Member 2000

Titanium Member 5000

Star Member 10000

True, but then Jai Dee has probably over-written his "Platinum Member" status with his own "Addicted Member", customised one. However, I notice that George is a "Platinum Member" with 9,000+ posts, so the Titanium boundary mentioned above appears to be wrong.

of course...member group versus member title is a completely different thing.

Well spotted dantilley

Newbie 0

Member 10

Advanced Member 30

Senior Member 100

Super Member 1000

Platinum Member 2000

Titanium Member 5000

Star Member 10000

Well I am an advanced member with 2545 posts

Maybe the Mods thought only 30 of them were worth reading

Hmmm............... yep, that sounds about right

we have it set so the member group bumps you up to advanced member with 500 posts (allowing bedlam access, advanced members under 500 posts were original VIP members)

Promote members of this group to:  Advanced Members
When they reach  posts: 500

default titles are still as follows:

Newbie 0

Member 10

Advanced Member 30

Senior Member 100

Super Member 1000

Platinum Member 2000

Titanium Member 5000

Star Member 10000

we have it set so the member group bumps you up to advanced member with 500 posts (allowing bedlam access, members under 500 posts were original VIP members)

/snap

how many point to be "Cheeky Member" , huski? :o:D

Bambi :D

Not to go against what the official rules are but I think member status should be based on longevity and not posting numbers.  The criteria isn't fair IMO.  No biggie though, so be it.  :o

That won't work.

Have a look at the member list, the vast majority of members have only 1 or two posts.

Maybe a combination of membership months and posts would work better but do we really need a member status

Not to go against what the official rules are but I think member status should be based on longevity and not posting numbers.  The criteria isn't fair IMO.  No biggie though, so be it.  :o

I agree. The 500+ thing encourages post count padding.

I'd rather read a forum where everybody is urged to post when they have something to say with some actual content.

But, I think that many things here are good enough to wade through a few posts that are padding.

member status?

a custom title can be changed from the default after 500 posts, as your's was.

I agree. The 500+ thing encourages post count padding.

I'd rather read a forum where everybody is urged to post when they have something to say with some actual content.

But, I think that many things here are good enough to wade through a few posts that are padding.

I'd just like to point out that I have nnothing to say....and certainly not padding or anything like that..

member status?

a custom title can be changed from the default after 500 posts, as your's was.

Ya I know Huski. Thats not really what I was trying to say but since we can change our own after 500, it doesnt really matter. The point I was trying to make was that status or respect, if you will, should be earned by seniority and not post numbers.

Ya I know Huski.  Thats not really what I was trying to say but since we can change our own after 500, it doesnt really matter.  The point I was trying to make was that status or respect, if you will, should be earned by seniority and not post numbers.

Senority and perhaps message size (not including quotes). If it were not for the emoticons, a lot of people wouldn't have as high of post counts as they do. It was discussed in another thread (about members who post a smiley as a reply, or members who quote the entire contents of a previous message, with no response at all).

Problem is, to rate member rankings, or count posts, based on other criteria (senority, message size, ect) would probably require changes in the forum programming itself.

Setting higher limits, especially at the lower end, to achieve higher member ranks is feasible, but wouldn't prevent "post-padding".

Another option possibly, is to increase the time-limits in the flood control (the thing that prevents you from posting replies less than a minute after a previous reply).

That would present problems as well, as it would reduce the enjoyment of a lot of members, especially those that like to read (and reply to) almost every new post.

TV has the Bedlam forum for those who have achieved 500+ posts (almost there !), what about a forum for those that have been (active) members for 1 year ? I say "active" because there are a huge number of members who have signed up, maybe posted/replied once and are never heard from again.

I'm not sure how easy it is to create new forums, and it would take quite a bit of admin work initially, but perhaps a Bedlam style forum for the 1 year + members, and another for the 2 year + members ?

That would reward the "old-timers" for hanging in there, and you wouldn't be able to access those forums by padding your post count.

I don't expect anyone will still be reading this by this point, but what the hey, if I ever finish this, it will up my post count by 1 at least ! Not bad for 15 minutes of typing :o

Number of posts gauges contribution to the board though it does not measure the substance of the posts, that's up to the rest of us to determine. Board activity is good for business and the padding is not so bad that it interfers with subject matter besides members don't flood the more serious forums with padding posts.

Number of posts gauges contribution to the board though it does not measure the substance of the posts, that's up to the rest of us to determine.  Board activity is good for business and the padding is not so bad that it interfers with subject matter besides members don't flood the more serious forums with padding posts.

:o

we have it set so the member group bumps you up to advanced member with 500 posts (allowing bedlam access, members under 500 posts were original VIP members)

/snap

how many point to be "Cheeky Member" , huski? :D:D

Bambi :D

My dear bambi,

Don't you know you can always be a 'Cheeky Member' with only one point !! :D:D:D

gintOnic :o