Dogs Puppies And Expats

cheese

Hi,

I am new here . Going to be in Bangkok from Feb next year.

want to have a pet dog once my family settles down in Bangkok. I prefer to buy one from a responsible breeder, rather than picking up one from a store/market. Googled several times, but could not find much information about dog breeders in Thailand (obviously they have their presence in Thai langauge, I guess).

Perhaps some of you have experience in buying dogs from breeders in Thailand.

First question: Do you have met dog breeders who are really interested in the dogs they breed and their future? Particularly I am interested in people whom I can rely on to have a source of continuing support.

Second: There will be times when my whole family will be out of thailand for some times (less than two weeks). What are the options for ensuring quality care for a pet dog in Thailand duing such absences. Do any of you have experience in this issue.

Thanks a bunch.

HiCheese and welcome.

I am afraid I cannot answer any of your questions, but I assume that you will be living in a house as opposed to a Condo ? Only many (mosy) Condos that I know of (or have lived in )in BK do not allow pets.

as an aside we have a Golden Retriever, but we live up-country.

Good Luck, I am sure others will be able to help in your quest for information

Cheers

TP

Several times a year there are dog shows at various locations here in Bangkok. I have been to a number of them and it is here that you can make some good contacts concerning breeders etc. The shows are advertised in papers like the Bangkok Post and The Nation so when you arrive just keep checking until a show comes up. What kind of dog are you looking for?

Hi haiPauly, Spaniel, SiamOne, tywais and others,

Thanks a bunch for the replies. Is this a great place or what!

house as opposed to a Condo
Yes, I am planning to rent a house instead of a condo.
here are dog shows at various locations
That's a great idea. I hope being totally ignorant of Thai language would not be a problem?
actual breeders selling their dogs
Do you have experience in dealing/talking with them. Anyway, I am going to visit this wonderful place as soon as I arrive. (I have been to BKK more than ten times, but never been to Chatuchak yet!).
pedigree golden retriever
I am thinking about breeds like golden retriever or labrador retriever, mostly because 1. I have a small child (3+) 2. There may be periods (though brief) that we may have to leave the dog with other caring people (e.g. vacations).

I am thinking about breeds like golden retriever or labrador retriever, mostly because 1. I have a small child (3+) 2. There may be periods (though brief) that we may have to leave the dog with other caring people (e.g. vacations).

You can't go wrong with either of those breeds, except they eat a lot. :o Good around kids and well tempered. Good luck with your search.

Tywais,

was your retreiver absolutley barking mad at four months?

Although mine is loving (and we love her very much)she will not stop jumping up or biting. She does not hurt when she bites its more of a "lovebite" She can have my hand in her mouth for a few minutes and never hurts meI suppose, but the jumping is becoming a problem especially when guests come. :o

Any ideas?

Cheers

TP

Tywais,

Although mine is loving (and we love her very much)she will not stop jumping up or biting. She does not hurt when she bites its more of a "lovebite" She can have my hand in her mouth for a few minutes and never hurts meI suppose, but the jumping is becoming a problem especially when guests come. :o

Any ideas?

Cheers

TP

we also have the same issue with our dog. our basset hound is very loving but we can not stop her jumping up and doing her play biting. donno if there is a good obedience course we could take her to in bangkok.

we also often go out of bangkok for short periods of time and we really need to find a good residence to leave our dog. any tips would be very appreciated

Tywais,

Any ideas?

Cheers

TP

For many years I was involved in dog rescues. Mainly Bouviers. You really have to keep the upper hand on breeds like that. I learned a bunch from a trainer after I had major problems with one of the rescues. One thing we had to do was keep her in a cage for most of the day. I can't believe it, but they actually do OK in cages. Makes them feel safe. Especially when they are in new surroundings. I couldn't do it very long, but took care of the chaos she created.

Other rules we learned. NEVER feed them table scraps. Or as we were told, never feed them unless it is in their dish. Never let them jump on you. Be firm and push them down. Get them lead trained real fast. I know you won't have the issues we had, but the "training" we got was awesome. Worth the money.

NEVER feed them table scraps.  Or as we were told, never feed them unless it is in their dish.  Never let them jump on you.  Be firm and push them down.  Get them lead trained real fast. 

I agree. Dogs are creatures of habit. (arn't we all :o !) We have a Gereman Shephard god with my mom. She (the dog) really wanted to climb on to our beds when she was small. We allowed to place her front paws on the bed, but never to fully climb. Until this day, she does exactly the same -- often places her front on beds, chair etc. but never the back (never climbs fully).

By the way, anybody have advice on what to do when the famiy is on vaccation??

Tywais,

Any ideas?

Cheers

TP

They are "hyper" at that age aren't they? :D Afraid you will have to put up with it for another 6-8 months when he will begin to settle down. Labradors are even more hyper but the absoulute craziest breed I had was Irish Setters. Never again. At about 8-months we were able to begin teaching our retriever some basic manners (never sent to obedience school, but would recommend it.).

Just remember to keep your shoes out of reach or you will be buying new pairs every week :D Even now at 2.5 years he can be a handful if he doesn't get exercise. He loves water. When he knows he is to be taken for a swim, he will go grab his leash himself and starts jumping up and down.

Ours is a male and can be agressive when a strange man approaches our house, but not a female. Also he knows I am the 'alpha' here and if my wife has a problem with his behaviour I just have to show my face and he lies down. (I never hit our dog except an occasional light slap on his backside if he goes overboard). They are very smart animals and learn quickly. Anyone who says a Golden is too passive to be a guard dog hasn't met ours. The breed is highly protective of its' owners and in the OP's case will be highly protective of his kids.

When guests come over perhaps keeping him in a pen would be a good idea until he gets older though he will probably be even more obnoxious there barking and crying until he gets used to the idea.

Tywais,

They are "hyper" at that age aren't they? :D Afraid you will have to put up with it for another 6-8 months when he will begin to settle down. Labradors are even more hyper but the absoulute craziest breed I had was Irish Setters. Never again. At about 8-months we were able to begin teaching our retriever some basic manners (never sent to obedience school, but would recommend it.).

Just remember to keep your shoes out of reach or you will be buying new pairs every week :o Even now at 2.5 years he can be a handful if he doesn't get exercise. He loves water. When he knows he is to be taken for a swim, he will go grab his leash himself and starts jumping up and down.

Ours is a male and can be agressive when a strange man approaches our house, but not a female. Also he knows I am the 'alpha' here and if my wife has a problem with his behaviour I just have to show my face and he lies down. (I never hit our dog except an occasional light slap on his backside if he goes overboard). They are very smart animals and learn quickly. Anyone who says a Golden is too passive to be a guard dog hasn't met ours. The breed is highly protective of its' owners and in the OP's case will be highly protective of his kids.

When guests come over perhaps keeping him in a pen would be a good idea until he gets older though he will probably be even more obnoxious there barking and crying until he gets used to the idea.

post-566-1127357878_thumb.jpg

Thanx for the advice, I am glad its just not OUR Dog then! Although we put our foot down from day one and she will NOT come upstairs, it shows that they are trainable, just have to be consistent I think, no good letting her jump up and patting her on the head one minute and smacking her the next I suppose.

I agree with you Tywais about rish setters. t was my first dog 25 years ago, and I am sure it was BARKING MAD. He once chewed up a freind's sofa when they Dogsat him, I could not afford to keep him unfortunatley as he was a total headcase.!

Also have golden retriever which liked to jump on people. You can train them by putting your knee into their chest as they jump on you. Dogs don't like it; not saying you do anything to hurt the dog but if you put your knee outwards as they jump they soon get the idea that if they jump your knee will end up in their chest. Suddenly seems like not such a good idea to them.

Learnt that one from a friend who was staying and did the same with his German Shepherd, seems to work.

I agree with you Tywais about rish setters. t was my first dog 25 years ago, and I am sure it was BARKING MAD. He once chewed up a freind's sofa when they Dogsat him, I could not afford to keep him unfortunatley as he was a total headcase.!

Same here. My girlfriend and I went out to dinner and left him (Setter) in the house alone. Got back and it looked like a tornado hit the place. Shreds of paper, pieces of cloth, furniture overturned everywhere. We also decided we couldn't keep him, too bad - beautiful animal.

As you pointed out, you have to be consistant with the punishment/reward or he will be running around in circles along with you. :o

Cheese:

Golden Retrivers are very popular here in Thailand so you should have no problem finding the one you want. I dont know what prices are now but last year their was a pet show at Fashion Island mall here in Minburi and they were asking around 6,000 bhat for G.R. puppies. The breeders at these shows are gererally a friendly bunch.

Cheese:

Golden Retrivers are very popular here in Thailand so you should have no problem finding the one you want.  I dont know what prices are now but last year their was a pet show at Fashion Island mall here in Minburi and they were asking around 6,000 bhat for G.R. puppies.  The breeders at these shows are gererally a friendly bunch.

3-3500 is more like it

image_00012.jpg

image_00011.jpg

Edited by uncle paul

Cheese:

Golden Retrivers are very popular here in Thailand so you should have no problem finding the one you want.  I dont know what prices are now but last year their was a pet show at Fashion Island mall here in Minburi and they were asking around 6,000 bhat for G.R. puppies.  The breeders at these shows are gererally a friendly bunch.

Ours was 6,000 baht 2 1/2 years ago with papers and linage. My wife says the going prices now are between 6,000 and 10,000 baht, more likely at the higher end. She breeds dogs as a hobby for 5,000 baht per each successful conception.

Edited by tywais

hi folks,

we've discussed crating and general training in an other thread a while ago....

goldens are 'mouthy' dogs and retrievers so : give her a box of toys and teach her from day one, those are her toys, teach her to bring them to you by name (bring dolly, bring bone, bring squishy or whatever u call her toys)... as a game, she will learn appropriate behavior; hide her toys and teach her to find them from day one ... pups learn very fast thru the 'immersion' method (do something correct and its fun, she'll do it again and again) -- use the same words for the same things, she'll learn no problem (bi lingual is no problem to any dog, i have one that is tri lingual and sign language=finnish, hebrew, english and signs)

as for jumpin: teach her to sit when she comes rushing at you, and she only gets fussed over when sitting; even negative reinforcement may reinforce the jumpin although knee in chest can work also, a sitting dog cant jump very well. teach her to go to her bed/box/crate on command when company comes etc so no jumping with wet paws on mother in law's new skirt (unless thats the idea :o , it worked for me!)

CRATING CAN BE DONE ONLY UP TO FOUR HOURS IN APPROPRIATE CRATE AND GOOD WEATHER; HOT WEATHER CRATING MEANS DEAD DOG IF THERE IS NO WAY TO COOL DOWN

i remember goldies used to have probs. with epilepsy; hip dyslplasia, skin things... in israel goldens are awful bad tempered overbred (good with kids, nice colour, so became very very popular) terrible dogs as are the 'white' labs...

somebody on this forum rescues (in the south/islands sbk? elfe? boo?); maybe she has a nice looking friendly family style dog waiting to be adopted??

most important: a tired dog is a happy dog i.e. less destructive etc

consistency among all family members for doggy rules: no jumping, no sneaking food from the table to the dog, dog is not allowed in kids rooms or is, stick to the decisions...

there are some other dog people lurking on the forum... cant remember who but based in thailand i think... do some searching for dog stuff here, people even gave addresses for kennels in thailand for vacationers...

bina

two boxers, petting zoo, canaani dogs, training bla bla bla

My wife is presently keeping two puppies at Mom's house since our present yard situation is not suitable for them. We want to build an enclosure (kennel) to keep them in at night and sometimes during the day. I'm going to google around but I'd like any input from you folks about what seems best for Thailand.

Edited by chownah

My wife is presently keeping two puppies at Mom's house since our present yard situation is not suitable for them.  We want to build an enclosure (kennel) to keep them in at night and sometimes during the day.  I'm going to google around but I'd like any input from you folks about what seems best for Thailand.

you can buy kennels that are mozzy proof and have fans in them, i paid 6000 for a large couple of metre square mozzy proof kennel and we put a fan in it

Interesting note: Some of you already know about this. My wife's dog, which was at her parents house near Khorat (small village) died this week. Apparently ate some poison that was put out for the "bad" dogs that were running around. I guess this is a pretty common problem as I have heard about it a lot.

So, for those of you new to Thailand, be aware this is a common practice. Anyone else have any comments on that?

Interesting note: Some of you already know about this.  My wife's dog, which was at her parents house near Khorat (small village) died this week.  Apparently ate some poison that was put out for the "bad" dogs that were running around.  I guess this is a pretty common problem as I have heard about it a lot.

So, for those of you new to Thailand, be aware this is a common practice.  Anyone else have any comments on that?

Absolutely keep your dog from roaming around the neighborhood. We lost two dogs due to poisoning and our neighbor 3 and have heard of others in the moo bahn I live at having the same thing happen. I admit it was our fault for allowing them out (they were small dogs - wife's choice, I prefer big ones), but we keep our retriever in the compound unless one of us is with him for a walk to the pond.

somebody on this forum rescues (in the south/islands sbk? elfe? boo?); maybe she has a nice looking friendly family style dog waiting to be adopted??

hi

i rescue dogs and puppies and have lovely, pretty ones to give to new good homes. if anyone is intersted please pn me.

• 3 weeks later...

Selecting a vet for me is the most important part of raising a dog. I am Thai and live in Thailand for the past 28 years. So I have been to many vet and hospital again I did a mistake......

I normally have 2 vets: one near by your house for injection and other small things. And the second one when your dog is sick.

My recommendation is to go to Kaset Hospital when your dog is sick. It opens early morning full with people queuing and it is not as nice looking vet like in Chareon Suk or Thonglor hospital but trust me, go to Kaset if your dog is very sick.

Why am I suggesting this? I chosed a wrong a vet for my dog and now he died....

I lost my dog 2 days ago. Choosing the vet for me was like - the more expensive the vet is the best quality it will be. I was wrong. Many people has warned about taking my dog to Chareon Suk (Ekamai) but I did not listened.

And here is a story about my Hugo (beagle):

My dog died of Canine Parvovirus 2 days ago at the age of 1 year and 2 months. I took him in at Chareon Suk Hospital a week ago just when he became quite and not eating. The doctor did many tests on him: a blood test and ultrasound but did not find anything so he assumes that my dog has some kind of parasite in his blood. This is a classic example since the breeder who I got my dog from, has alreay warn me that Charoen Suk hospital will always assume that you dog has a parasite in the blood when he is sick.

I believe them with a doubt of course since they did not find anything. But again I am not a vet so I play along hoping the best for my dog. My dog has a symtoms of:

Loss of appetite

Vomiting

High fever

Diarrhea

These symptoms are classic symptoms of Canine Parvovirus and they did even bother to check!!!!!!

4 days later my dog started get worst so their second theory was something may block his stomach......They did another painful test on him, still they did not manage to find anything. A week almost pass and still my dog was in a hospital sicker than before without a correct medication. I already paid about 10,000 baht for an unknown treatment....

About a day later they called and said that mydog has a diarrhea again with a lot of blood. They finally ran a test for Canine Parvovirus, and it was positive. About 5-6 hours later my dog passed away with a very painful sight in which I will never forget.

If they were to figure this out earlier my dog chance of survival will be much more 70-80% and not 20% on the last day when they figure out the disease. I hope my story will make you think twice before choosing a vet. Take time for your best friend as mine will never return.

For Hugo my beloved friend, I hope his story can safe some lives.

Myia Ross

Maybe a useful note for doggy people: be on the look out for erlichiosis (spelling?). A disease that is passed on through tick bites. My dog is treated with Frontline to prevent ticks but still managed to pick it up. A nasty disease which starts with general lethargy and you notice a lot of saliva and maybe discharge from eyes. After a few days gums start to turn white (literally). Easily treated and recovery within a few days but leads to a nasty death if not treated. Seems to be many cases around as vet knew immediately what it was. Said he had seen many in last couple of months.