Result Of Thai-driving

lampard10

No, it wasn't me. For the full story read 'Crzy ficking pickup drivers 'on motoring forum. Garage say they can fix it for 600,000. But it will take six months work. We had just cancelled our 'off the road' policy as well. I think we will accept a payout of 700,000 though. Other guys fault. No insurance. No tax. No license.No fukcing sense either.

Do you know what it is the car (make and model) the other party who were killed were driving?

I think it was a toyota tiger. There was not much left of the other vehicle. One positive thing that comes out of this is the fantastic crash resistance of the Sportrider. Apart from a hump inside where the engine was pushed into the cab, the whole inside kept it's shape.

This is how  the pride of my fleet looks now

post-14019-1133323692_thumb.jpg

Result maybe of "One for the road" by the driver of the pick-up that hit us. Unfortunately, him or his wife won't be drinking again. Two lives thrown away for no reason at all.

Sadly not just a thai problem, I know some of them drive like maniacs , please this aint aussie bashing , but on average more people get killed in traffic accidents here %age wise than in thailand,we have at least 5 traffic deaths a week in our area and we are just a small town outside brisbane, christmas or any holiday for that matter is a time of traffic fatalities here, have been driving in thailand on and off for 40 years had a few close shaves, but compared to the carnage we see here in QLd or the good old days commuting from camberley to the city via M3,M25,A4 before we emigrated driving in thailand is a piece of cake!!

the financial loss of a vehicle and loss of lives is always sad, but it happens everywhere not just in Thailand!nignoy

Sadly not just a thai problem, I know some of them drive like maniacs , please this aint aussie bashing , but on average more people get killed in traffic accidents here %age wise than in thailand,we have at least 5 traffic deaths a week in our area and we are just a small town outside brisbane, christmas or any holiday for that matter is a time of traffic fatalities here, have been driving in thailand on and off for 40 years had a few close shaves, but compared to the carnage we see here in QLd or the good old days commuting from camberley to the city via M3,M25,A4 before we emigrated driving in thailand is a piece of cake!!

the financial loss of a vehicle and loss of lives is always sad, but it happens everywhere not just in Thailand!nignoy

Sure, there are crazy drivers everywhere... and this is not Thai bashing either, and I know I've posted these figures in other topics, but the fact remains that around 14,000 people die on the roads in Thailand each year. 6th most deadly roads in the world. We're talking 38 people dead every day! 1,000,000 injured a year. That's 2700+ people every day, involved in accidents on the roads here.

In 2004 there were 1598 deaths on the roads in Australia. Still too many, but if you describe Australia as carnage, Thailand is a bloodbath.

Edited by pal78

Where did you get these statistics? It would be interesting to see the rankings and other countries (ie 1-5).

I got the Australian statistics here:

http://www.atsb.gov.au/road/statistics/statistics.aspx

Here is one report of Thailand (from 2001, statistics from 2000) where deaths were 20,000 a year.

http://www.grsproadsafety.org/activities/c...p?chapter_id=51

50 people a day!!

This list doesn't include Thailand, but based on the statistics that have been published of approximately 14,000 deaths a year (assuming a 6,000 a year drop from 2000) and a population of around 65,000,000... I think Thailand would be thrid from bottom on this list:

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/info%20se...capita-2004.htm

But look at those figures. Why do we insist on driving! Surely there are safer ways to travel, what a complete mess.

In 2004 in these 52 countries the total death count is over 350,000 people in one year (nearly 1,000 people a day). And some countries listed don't include figures. And this is only 52 countries.

Would be interesting to see a list with Thailand included, but we already know it's shockingly bad.

Edited by pal78

Over 42,000 dead on USA roads each year average. ( 55mph limit, well policed, good well maintained roads, etc etc etc )

Considering 70% of fatalities in Thailand are motorcycle accident victims, figures here are no different to any other country if they had a few million motorcyclists.

If UK had the same number of motorcyclists as Thailand, the fatalities on UK roads would skyrocket, just as they would in any other country.

If UK had the same number of motorcyclists as Thailand, the fatalities on UK roads would skyrocket, just as they would in any other country.

I'm not too sure about that statement Jeeves. I agree that if the UK had the same number of motor cyclists as Thailand then the number of fatalities would climb a great deal, but not to the same level as seen in Thailand. Have you seen UK motor cyclists ride in the same fashion as the Thai on such a regular basis? I certainly haven't. Yes there are idiot motor cyclists in the UK, I was one of them in my teens, but in general they are far far more sensible in their riding habits. Do you see them riding up to 5 on a bike (the most I've seen here anyway), helmet on the arm/in the basket, or if it is on their head then on backwards, riding on the wrong side of the road etc etc etc. It's not all their own fault either, they are invisible to other motorists as well. But.......most of them seem to have a deathwish, they're accidents looking for somewhere to happen.

well you should have bought a softer car. Could have saved two lives.

What are you saying??? These deaths are the OP's fault :o

bdenner agree with you, jonik read the later comment - the other car was a Toyota tiger, OP's car sportrider, to all intents and purposes the same vehicle with a different body shell. We don't know angle of impact, relative speeds or the details of the accident. Get all the facts before attacking!!!! :D:D

I'm not too sure about that statement Jeeves.  I agree that if the UK had the same number of motor cyclists as Thailand then the number of fatalities would climb a great deal, but not to the same level as seen in Thailand.  Have you seen UK motor cyclists ride in the same fashion as the Thai on such a regular basis?  I certainly haven't.  Yes there are idiot motor cyclists in the UK, I was one of them in my teens, but in general they are far far more sensible in their riding habits.  Do you see them riding up to 5 on a bike (the most I've seen here anyway), helmet on the arm/in the basket, or if it is on their head then on backwards, riding on the wrong side of the road etc etc etc.  It's not all their own fault either, they are invisible to other motorists as well.  But.......most of them seem to have a deathwish, they're accidents looking for somewhere to happen.

Hey, hey, it's not always the motorsyclist's fault! As I said elsewhere, I feel safer riding a bike in Thailand than the UK. :D

But then, if there were more on the road, maybe car drivers would pay more attention to them? :o

Who knows...

Over 42,000 dead on USA roads each year average. ( 55mph limit, well policed,  good well maintained roads, etc etc etc )

Considering 70% of fatalities in Thailand are motorcycle accident victims, figures here are no different to any other country if they had a few million motorcyclists.

The difference would be, in this hypothetical environment, that virtually every motorcyclist in the UK would be wearing a helmet and many would be wearing other protective gear, including boots, and jackets.

The USA has a bad record also, but they have a lot of cars and a lot of people (around 300 million to Thailand's 60 million).

Anyway, I don't understand your point. Assuming what you say is true, and that all things being equal and with the same number of drivers in the same type of vehicles doing the same crazy stunts and drink driving to the same degree as they do here in Thailand, that the fatalities would also be equal...... yeah okay, that's all fine. But it sounds like you are suggesting that 14,000 deaths in Thailand is acceptable.

I would rather see the situation in Thailand improve to bring deaths down to moderate levels, rather than suggest that it's actually not too bad considering how chronic the conditions on the roads are here.

Again I agree with pal78 and ask jeeves when he was last in the US? The 55 limit was repealed 10 years ago. The number of drivers in the US is hugely higher than Thailand and the distance traveled per driver vastly higher. It is not just the population difference.

Anyone who has traveled a highway here and not seen a public bus totaled is an exception I would say. It is not just motorcycle riders who die here.

It's not all their own fault either, they are invisible to other motorists as well.  But.......most of them seem to have a deathwish, they're accidents looking for somewhere to happen.

Hey, hey, it's not always the motorsyclist's fault! As I said elsewhere, I feel safer riding a bike in Thailand than the UK. :D

But then, if there were more on the road, maybe car drivers would pay more attention to them? :o

Who knows...

I did say It's not all their own fault zzap, but don't you agree that the Thai approach to riding a m/c leaves, at best, a lot to be desired? I ride a m/c every day as well, when the piece of JRD junk is actually working, and I'm constantly amazed just how stupid and brain dead Thai riders are, along with the majority if Thai drivers. You feel safer riding here than in the UK! Can you explain why that is please?