Thaksin Announces House Dissolution, New Election

george

Urgent: Thaksin announces House dissolution

The iTV station announced that Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has announced a House dissolution.

The prime minister will make a formal announcement on TV pool at 8 pm.

--The Nation 2006-02-24 18:35

House dissolution expected to be announced soon

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had an audience with His Majesty the King here Friday afternoon amid speculations that there would soon be a House dissolution as a way out to ease the current political tension.

The prime minister was granted an audience with His Majesty the King at the Chitralada Villa of the Dusit Palace here.

This causes speculations that the prime minister might soon announce a new minor cabinet reshuffle and would later dissolve the House of Representatives as his last resort to end the ongoing political turmoil.

Responding to a journalists' question, Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-Ngam, a legal expert, conceded that it could be possible for a House dissolution after a cabinet reshuffle.

He declined to give any further comments.

Earlier this month, Culture Minister Uraiwan Thienthong tendered her resignation saying she wanted to uphold political ethnics.

Her move was followed suit in about 24 hours later by Information and Communication Technology Minister Sora-at Klinpratoom.

Both are members of the Wang Nam Yen faction of the ruling Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party, led by Ms. Uraiwan's husband--Sanoh Thienthong who has lately had a political difference with the prime minister himself.

However, the prime minister told journalists after the audience that there would be no cabinet reshuffle as speculated.

He said that he could opt to dissolve the House and would hold a press conference at 08:30 p.m. Friday to inform the public of his decision.

--TNA 2006-02-24

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Urgent: Thaksin announces House dissolution

The iTV station announced that Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has announced a House dissolution.

The prime minister will make a formal announcement on TV pool at 8 pm.

--The Nation 2006-02-24 18:35

Which means, that if he stands as candidate again, that chances are we will have to live with Thaksin for a lot longer.

He pre-empted further possible dissent within TRT (because of the 90 day rule MPs who want to be reelected can't switch parties). Very smart.

He'll roll all over the countryside with his campaign. He might not get the same amount of votes as the last time, when he benefitted tremendously from the tsunami, but still, he will make it.

So, don't be too happy yet, folks...

Thaksin to dismiss House, call election

BANGKOK: -- Embattled Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced this evening that he has ordered a dissolution of the Lower House, paving the way for a new election in April.

His Majesty the King granted Mr Thaksin an audience this afternoon, after the premie apparently decided that a new election was the only way out of the current political tension.

Mr Thaksin was relaxed as he talked to reporters ahead of his formal, 8 p.m. TV announcement of his decision.

--Bangkok Post 2006-02-24

He will almost certainly win re-election although with a reduced majority.

He's called the elction because he knows he's in serious trouble and knows he will still win through the rural vote, even though they are voting whilst being misinformed, if they really knew the truth and got unbiased media reports it could be quite different.

The fact he is disolving the house shows he is in serious trouble, the campaigners should absolutley not accept this and carry on with the rally accepting nothing less that his total resignation and exit from politics. If they carry on with the protests it's more than likley they will get what they want.

There's no way a crook like this should be allowed to stand for re-election.

He should be behind bars.

House dissolution expected to be announced soon

BANGKOK: --

Earlier this month, Culture Minister Uraiwan Thienthong tendered her resignation saying she wanted to uphold political ethnics.

--TNA 2006-02-24

Besides wanting to uphold the ethnic Chinese, what other ethnic groups are represented in this government? :o

Good new!! Now all you anti Toxin people get out there and help educate those rural people!! You know that the election will be won or lost with the village vote....get out there and support your candidate....you do have a candidate to support don't you?

I posted this on the other thread

There was an article in the Financial Times earlier this week by Amy Kazmin who predicted this might happen.

I am willing to wager he wins - maybe with reduced support but still a majority. Of course we know its still money politics but both sides play by this in Thailand

Its a very canny political move by old Taksin - early enough not to let the oposition grow and appealing to the whole country and not just the urban middle classes.

It could all go wrong of course - Edward Heath pulled this one in the face of a Miners Strike and lost the country and leadership of his party soon after

Even if Thaksin were to win re-election the old saying, "give a man enough rope . . . ," still applies. It may be a shrewd political move but then again he may only be buying some extra time. If he continues his antics it will all be for naught in the end.

SNAP ELECTION

Thaksin announces House dissolution

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced a House dissolution Friday evening after he was granted an audience with His Majesty the King.

Thaksin entered the Chitralada Palace at 5 pm to be granted the audience and left the palace shortly before 6 pm.

The prime minister then went to the Thai Rak Thai party head office and told reporters there that he had received a royal command to dissolve the House of Representatives.

He appeared relaxed and humming a song.

The prime minister will appear on Channel 9 at 8:30 pm to make the formal announcement of the House dissolution.

"Only House dissolution, no Cabinet reshuffle," Thaksin told reporters at his party's head office.

A Government House source said Thaksin decided to dissolve the House because he could find a suitable person to replace him as the prime minister.

The source said Thaksin wanted the snap election to be held as soon as possible. The source said Thaksin wanted to have the election held on April 2 or April 9.

Election Commission member Parinya Nakchattree said the EC would be able to make preparations in time for the election to take place on April 2.

He said the EC would have to send lists of eligible voters to each house at least 20 days before the Election Day but he was confident that the preparations could be made in time.

Suriyasai Katasila, a coordinator of the People's Alliance for Democracy, said the PAD was unhappy with the House dissolution and saw it as an selfish act of the prime minister.

He said the House dissolution would not solve the current political problems but would allow Thaksin to try seek a political come back and prolong his political power.

Anek Laothamthap, a former leader of Mahachon Party, denounced Thaksin for dissolving the House without informing other parties first as he had promised in the past.

Anek said Thaksin used to say he would inform MPs and other parties at least 90 days before a House dissolution so that MPs could switch party.

"He lied and took the edge over other parties," Anek said.

--The Nation 2006-02-24

Toxin has once again outsmarted the opposition. He has basically given them what they wanted and now there is no one in the wings who can beat him in a new election. I think he will be around for a LONG time to come. Between now and April the opposition has to come up with a viable candidate. I don't see that happening. :o

A very clever move, particularly with the element of surprise. If the election, as expected, takes place in April, none of the anti-Thaksin contingent within TRT can do anything other than stand for TRT, unless they want to sacrifice their political careers and the associated rewards, due to the 90 day rule (you have to be a member of the political party you are representing for 90 days to become an MP).

He will return!

Sorry Ricardo, I was writing mine when you posted the same

Thaksin will be able to do much with a new mandate, it will silence his know nothing critics.

Only if he wins :D

I am sick of the farangs whose hatred of Thaksin stems from nothing more than them having to pay a few more satang for their visas :D:D:o

and your evidence for this is ... ?

Dear thaipro_pattaya, you wouldn't happen to be a TRT-member, would you ?

If his critics know nothing, how come he feels it necessary to call an election ? If many of us farangs dislike Thaksin, is it totally impossible, that there might not be some good reasons for this ?

Posted tihs on the " begining of the end " thread along with another comment.

This obviously applies to this thread also quote :-

The biggest face ( 2 ) saving of recent history.

Don,t know what will happen on Sunday now but, they all want to start getting some serious re educating on the rights and wrongs going now to prevent a re run plus an extention of power and a new duration to do more miss deeds.

Especially in the rural areas.

He has proved how selfish and uncaring he is about Thailand and it,s loyal citizens by not doing the honourable thing and resigning from his party and the government.

An evil devil and no mistake..............................

I might add it is typical of his arrogance and shows him for what he is in addition to all the other

proud titles to being infamous that most honest people associate him with.

A coward without honour.

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

Astute timing, just ahead of a (likely) massively-larger anti-Thaksin rally on Sunday, and not allowing the many disillusioned TRT-MPs the 90 days necessary to switch to another party. Once again DL shows his political skills.

hopefully Sunday's rally and subsequent rallies will proceed stronger than ever. Thaksin is trying to stop a tsunami by diverting it to a flume, but the force of the growing opposition is not going to wither by this current predictable political maneuver. Meanwhile the day to day chores of running gov't are not getting done - even more than before the recent money-shuffling debacle. It's the Nixonification of government - where an elected leader is bunkered down and all his calories are devoted to saving his skin.

Enjoy Taxin bashing while you can, because my prediction is a newly elected Taxin will make moves to silence all criticism.

We can lookforward to the kind of leadership enjoyed by most other places in SE Asia, where criticism is crushed.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced a House dissolution Friday evening after he was granted an audience with His Majesty the King.
I expected this move the moment I read that the PM had met with the Privy Council chairman.

Whatever one may think or say about the PM, this is the cleanest and most advisable, democratic way to avoid a prolonged period of demonstrations/rallies/petitions and uncertainty.

--------------

Maestro

Watch the Baht's value - remember SS's (Smug Sino's) comment about the reasons for selling Shin Corp becoming clear in time .... the baht has been weakening back this last week - if he's being paid in Singapore Dollars, this could do him a big favour after recent strengthening.

The uncertainty about government will weaken it to the point that he gets a lot more Baht for the dollars.

If that proves true, then he should be impeached for this house dissolution on the grounds it was done to manipulate the currency markets for his own personal gain.

BTW - the dissolution has just been announced on ABC Asia-Pacific (7-40pm)

Enjoy Taxin bashing while you can, because my prediction is a newly elected Taxin will make moves to silence all criticism.

We can lookforward to the kind of leadership enjoyed by most other places in SE Asia, where criticism is crushed.

Was expecting the gloves to come off after the second election win .....

If he gets third win, would the last farang leaving the country please switch off the lights?

I posted this on the other thread

There was an article in the Financial Times earlier this week by Amy Kazmin who predicted this might happen.

I am willing to wager he wins - maybe with reduced support but still a majority. Of course we know its still money politics but both sides play by this in Thailand

Its a very canny political move by old Taksin - early enough not to let the oposition grow and appealing to the whole country and not just the urban middle classes.

It could all go wrong of course - Edward Heath pulled this one in the face of a Miners Strike and lost the country and leadership of his party soon after

I am sick of the farangs whose hatred of Thaksin stems from nothing more than them having to pay a few more satang for their visas :D:D:o

I heard that Financial Times correspondent give her analysis, on CNN. She basically predicted that he will win again, with a reduced majority. Mainly due to the rural poor. God Bless them!

As to the other poster, sick of hearing Farangs express their dislike for the great man, we are entitled to our opinions, that is what thinking is about, rather have someone else do it for you!

GuestHouse: Enjoy Taxin bashing while you can, because my prediction is a newly elected Taxin will make moves to silence all criticism.

Or look back - anyone remember the Bangkok Post editor being fired for reporting a certain PM in a bad light?

Viable alternatives please. Anyone that could also be in the running?

Thaksin dissolves House for April election

Embattled Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced this evening that he has ordered a dissolution of the Lower House, paving the way for a new election in April.

His Majesty the King granted Mr Thaksin an audience this afternoon, after the premier apparently decided that a new election was the only way out of the current political tension. The election is likely to be on Sunday, April 2, or one week later on April 9.

"The house is already dissolved," he said, shortly after the audience. Mr Thaksin was relaxed as he talked to reporters and members of his Thai Rak Thai Party ahead of his formal, 8 p.m. TV announcement of his decision.

He ordered dissolution of the House after a busy Friday, during which political opponents vowed to camp out at Sanam Luang indefinitely following what they hoped would be a mass rally against Mr Thaksin.

Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang and supporters said earlier today they would go ahead with rally on Sunday even if Mr Thaksin dissolved the House. The aim, he said, was to force Mr Thaksin to resign.

"Even if Thaksin dissolves parliament we will continue to protest because our objective is to make him resign," said Maj-Gen Chamlong this morning.

"We will certainly rally to confirm our demand to have the prime minister resign," said Suriyasai Katasila of the People's Alliance for Democracy, the protest coordinator.

But the counter-move by the premier seemed likely to take some of the wind out of the sails of anti-government protesters, buoyed by what may have seemed like one political victory after another, even including the humiliating dismissal of Mr Thaksin's sister from Sukhothai University for cheating, disclosed earlier on Friday.

Sanan Krajornprasat, the former Demcrat and current leader of the Mahachon Party, said Mr Thaksin had made a mistake in dissolving parliament.

"He made the wrong decision, because all the protesters are calling for his resignation to make way for real political reform," said Maj-Gen Sanan. "This kind of decision means Thaksin will only have a short time to live in Thailand."

For certain, though, dissolution of the House removed the possibility of a debate at a joint session of Parliament, ironically offered earlier this week by Mr Thaksin as a way to get disagreements out in the open without resorting to public protests.

At a political meeting earlier Friday attended by thousands of Thaksin supporters, the premier said his family sold its stake in Shin Corp in order to avoid conflict-of-interest accusations.

"My good and genuine intentions were distorted to create a misunderstanding among the public against me and my family," he said.

At that meeting of agricultural cooperatives, Mr Thaksin gave a strong hint of what he intended, but could not say directly until after his audience with the king.

"If you are fed up with me let me know, if you want me to continue working for you, vote for me," he said.

Source: Bangkok Post

Just told K wife ....so wot you recon......no problem she says......he will be re-elected......when/where do I vote?....

hold yer horses......

We might have a wee hoose in an outlying area in the boonies of C.M.but no way would she be described as one of the "rural poor". :o:D