Internet Faxing

The Coder

Right now I use j2.com to send and receive faxes over the net. The service works fine, but I am a very light user and weary of the constantly increasing fee which is now $15USD per month. Anyone have suggestions on alternatives? faxaway.com looks interesting because it is just $1/month. My basic ideals are:

(1) USA phone number

(2) voicemail with a configurable greeting

(3) no software required (eg: wav & tiff files)

(4) low cost

(5) If I could transfer my existing number that would be ideal, but probably asking too much.

Right now I use j2.com to send and receive faxes over the net. The service works fine, but I am a very light user and weary of the constantly increasing fee which is now $15USD per month. Anyone have suggestions on alternatives? faxaway.com looks interesting because it is just $1/month. My basic ideals are:

(1) USA phone number

(2) voicemail with a configurable greeting

(3) no software required (eg: wav & tiff files)

(4) low cost

(5) If I could transfer my existing number that would be ideal, but probably asking too much.

I use efax.com. I think they have a free version and a lite version. I'm a light user but pay the standard 12.95. Don't know about voicemail though.

That's still quite a bit of money. Another interesting one is called trustfax.com. You get a toll free number and it is $19.95 per year (not per month, per year). It includes 70 free faxes per year--both receiving AND sending! At first glance, I liked the idea of a toll free number. But then decided it was a disadvantage because if I get on a spam list the spammers could then send unlimited faxes beyond the 70 free ones which I would be forced to pay for. Right now I get about 1 spam fax a month.

That is OK if you have a land line.

I am on a wireless link. :o

Net2Phone offers a fax service, but I have not managed to get it working yet.

All the numbers I dial are rejected as invalid.

Still chasing their support guys.

Edited by astral

While on the same topic, I have a requirement of sending fax (softcopy by MS Word+MS Fax driver) from here through DSL (not long distance dial up, that I tried before) to my home country (using land line and real fax machine at the recipient). I don't need to receive a fax, just send. Anyone know how? Free service would be perfect.

Edited by xty

This is a free service where you can send an email to a fax mashine on a normal landline. I gave it a quick try about a year ago but no luck, it involves a bit of tweeking. Let us know if you get it to work.

http://www.tpc.int/faxbyemail.html

TPC used to be very good, but it was only an experimental project and seemed

to die a few years back. It certainly cannot be relied on now.