Home Security. Webcams And Motion Detection And Auto Sending To Internet.

bquick

I have used webcam xp and it is ok but am wondering is there a better program perhaps simpler?

you can get webcam xp for free from torrents or p2p.

Perhaps if there was a way to hide the icon for it in tray also.

www.umediaserver.net - free for homeusers and small businesses

live capture server and streaming media server. It will encode on the fly and either record or stream when a client connects.

there is a pc client and a pocketpc/smartphone client , but the pocket pc version seems to only work on WM5 and I have been unable to get it to run on WM2003se.

You can set both the live server and media server to run as a service , and the video source can be a usb webcam(s) or even a video in card / television card. the media player will by default listen to port 5119 so you need to forward the port you wish to use on your router if you wish to monitor from outside your local network. ( if the bandwidth overhead was not an issue you could run it in a hamachi encrypted tunneling network which does not require ports to listen for connections )

I have watched the usb cam from a gprs connection , though it was slow as a test I was impressed. I have started to make a step by step tutorial with lots of screen grabs to make installing and setting up this software easy and will try and finish it and get it uploaded by the end of the weekend.

ok , I have created a tutorial with large amounts of screenshots of the setup process for the live streaming of a webcam , so if you are on dialup please make a cup of coffee while the page loads . :o

http://www.soisanook.com/Urealmedia1.htm

please post any feedback/problems you have , and if you have a PDA/smartphone running WM5 I would be interested in knowing how the client works on that OS.