Have You Ever Driven A Tuk Tuk?

tuky

Driving a Tuk Tuk?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I first moved to Thailand my wife and I lived in a small home, her parents still lived in the families tin shed. The extended family lived in the tin shed next door and all had been there for perhaps 15 years since moving down from Udon.

One of my wife's uncles is a Tuk Tuk driver, so quite often I ended up driving the Tuk Tuk to go buy beer, or head home etc etc. I became quite good at it.

Initially it was hard because I was not used to the clutch on the right foot, the brakes on the left and the accelerator being the same as a motocy.

After I got the hang of it, and I spent some time driving the thing around I got some of the most classic looks from the local Thai folk.

I haven't driven one in a few years now, but will always remember arriving at the nearest family mart to buy beer and seeing the look on the faces of the Thais as they realised it is a farang that is driving ther Tuk Tuk.

Have you ever driven a Tuk Tuk?

How funny! Well I managed once to get one up my road that I had stolen from the taxi driver after a very drunken night in Hat Yai - basically the typically crazy driver had dropped us off then decided to get out and tell my mate that he loved her and would like to marry her! So I lost patience and thought it would be a good idea to nick his tuk tuk, didnt get very far of course and the Thai blokey thought it was hilarious, although the brake didnt really seem to work very well so I just kind of jumped out grabed my mate and ran off giggling, oh happy days!

Well, luckily for me all the tin sheds have been knocked down so the family now live with me.

No more Tuk Tuk rides.

And having said that, no more peace and quiet, no more "my home".

The house across the road is for sale. I am seriously considering buying that home so I can live there. And visit my wife and daughters. Otherwise I cannot be held responsible for my actions against the extended family. :o:D:D:D:D:D

I checked our tabien baan the other day, and we have about 20 people registered at my house.

I love my wife, My children mean the world to me but I cannot put up with this much longer. I have to move out. Or walk away.......

But I cannot leave my kids... :D HELP.

Well, luckily for me all the tin sheds have been knocked down so the family now live with me.

No more Tuk Tuk rides.

The house across the road is for sale. I am seriously considering buying that home so I can live there. And visit my wife and daughters. Otherwise I cannot be held responsible for my actions against the extended family. :o:D:D:D:D:D

I checked our tabien baan the other day, and we have about 20 people registered at my house.

I love my wife, My children mean the world to me but I cannot put up with this much longer. I have to move out. Or walk away.......

THats a tough one mate. I only had my wife's brother living with us and after 6 months it drove me nuts so I got him to move out. I have since made it very clear to my wife that from now on family members can live with us if its a genuine emergency only. She seems to be ok with it.

I can't even begin to figure out how I would deal with 20! Would putting your foot down not help? You know try calling her bluff with the me or them scenario? Or buy the house and make them move in there clearing your reg document for your house to just you and your wife? You obviously love your wife and kids. If your wife loves you she will want to help you to be happy.....

No more Tuk Tuk rides.

THats a tough one mate. I only had my wife's brother living with us and after 6 months it drove me nuts so I got him to move out. I have since made it very clear to my wife that from now on family members can live with us if its a genuine emergency only. She seems to be ok with it.

I can't even begin to figure out how I would deal with 20! Would putting your foot down not help? You know try calling her bluff with the me or them scenario? Or buy the house and make them move in there clearing your reg document for your house to just you and your wife? You obviously love your wife and kids. If your wife loves you she will want to help you to be happy.....

With all restraint I have to say that I work away from home. SO during the times that I am gone it is good for thwe wife to have her family with her. But when I am at home I may as well live elsewhere.

Anyway, sorry, we are talking about Tuk Tuks yeah?

Yes. But I was a little under the weather at the time.

And I've seen Blonco drive a Sam Law.

and that one had the seat removed to accomodate yorkie

Need to lye down did he..... :o:D

redrus

Yes. But I was a little under the weather at the time.

And I've seen Blonco drive a Sam Law.

and that one had the seat removed to accomodate yorkie

Need to lye down did he..... :o:D

redrus

he does tend to lye down a bit, espescially when he gets on those slippery seats :D

No, but i would love to.

This guy next to my old work in sydney has a tuk tuk that he has registered in Oz and sell hotdogs and pies from it, everytime I see him driving it all i want to do it book my ticket to thailand

Funny you should mention this on my first visit to Thailand after consuming large amounts of Sangsom I went to walk to my local bar when a Tuk-Tuk driver kept pissin me off when I told him my destination was in walking distance. In the end I agreed to use his vehicle to take me to the pub if I COULD DRIVE IT :-) He didn't give a flying one and happily obliged.

Best part was as Tuky described the look on the Thai's faces and the best part of all when I arrived outside the pub & scooped up two of my mates and took them for a quick spin round the block - with the owner squashed in between them gesturing me to let him take over LOL :D

Oddly when I tell this story many people back home (UK) don't believe it, but then again they have never been here so sod em all I say :o

• 5 weeks later...
How much do they cost? Why not buy one just for Sh*ts and Giggles?

That would be fun.....

One now being driven as Taxi in Oxford, bought on e-bay for 7,500 pounds

Moss

Extract from Oxford Mail

Edited by Mossfinn