100 Dsi, Police Officers Raid Koh Samui, Arrest Briton

george

100 DSI, police officers raid Koh Samui, arrest Briton

Koh Samui, Surat Thani: -- A team of 100 officers from the Crime Suppression Division, Anti-Money Laundering Office and Department of Investigation raided this tourist destination island Tuesday morning and arrested a Briton and three Thais.

The Briton, Peter Watkinjones, 40, was accused of leading a multinational mafia gang which bribed land officials to gain access to public land on the island for sale to foreigners.

The officers, divided into small teams, raided ten spots to try to arrest seven members of the so-called Bandidos gang.

DSI spokesman Pol Col Dussadee Arayawutthi said the three Thai men were identified as Pramual Somwong, a land official, and two ordinary people - Samroeng Buanak and Prateep Muangkaew.

He said a Briton and two Danish men were still elusive.

He said the seven were suspected of using influence to pressure local businesses and people to sell business and land to them and they paid bribe to land officials to use land documents elsewhere to forge ownership of public land on the island and sold them to foreigners at steep prices.

Dussadee said the sale contracts were undervalued as the buyers paid the rest of the money to the gang abroad.

--The Nation 2006-07-18

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somwong should be renamed all wong. It is sad that criminal elements from overseas give farlangs a bad name. It is great that the Thai Police are clamping down on the low lifes from other countries. The Thai title system and some of its corrupt officials have done a disservice to the integrity of their own land title system. :o

Excellent news

These crooks have had a nice little earner last three years on this.

Bout time someone acted.

100 DSI, police officers raid Koh Samui, arrest Briton

Koh Samui, Surat Thani: -- A team of 100 officers from the Crime Suppression Division, Anti-Money Laundering Office and Department of Investigation raided this tourist destination island Tuesday morning and arrested a Briton and three Thais.

The Briton, Peter Watkinjones, 40, was accused of leading a multinational mafia gang which bribed land officials to gain access to public land on the island for sale to foreigners.

The officers, divided into small teams, raided ten spots to try to arrest seven members of the so-called Bandidos gang.

DSI spokesman Pol Col Dussadee Arayawutthi said the three Thai men were identified as Pramual Somwong, a land official, and two ordinary people - Samroeng Buanak and Prateep Muangkaew.

He said a Briton and two Danish men were still elusive.

He said the seven were suspected of using influence to pressure local businesses and people to sell business and land to them and they paid bribe to land officials to use land documents elsewhere to forge ownership of public land on the island and sold them to foreigners at steep prices.

Dussadee said the sale contracts were undervalued as the buyers paid the rest of the money to the gang abroad.

--The Nation 2006-07-18

I agree with the above sentiments, but I want to ask a question: why is it that the *(top) Thai elements are never caught, or remain at-large, while foreign criminal elements are apprehended and paraded around? What exactly is the foreign gang's "influence"?

Yesterday, there was another article about high ranking TRT politicians on Samui. Somehow, they always seem to evade the police and "justice" systmem here.

Edited by kat

Doubtful any real retribution will befall the Thais involved. They're so quick with excuses, and the Thai legal system is so quick to pardon anyone important. We hear much about corrupt and lacksadasical police in Samui - when will we see some effective cleaning up in that dept? Note; the special police teams were brought in from outside the island.

Doubtful any real retribution will befall the Thais involved. They're so quick with excuses, and the Thai legal system is so quick to pardon anyone important. We hear much about corrupt and lacksadasical police in Samui - when will we see some effective cleaning up in that dept? Note; the special police teams were brought in from outside the island.

===============================================================

Brahmburgers: how excellent to see the use of the word "lacksadasical" ! ! I so enjoy to discover the fact that there are still people in this world who actually use the english language properly and to it's fullest extent ! !

By the way; the true gleaning & cleaning of the widely published land-fraud situations in places like Phuket, Samui, Koh Chang, Koh Tao et all, is well over-due and I for one, am happy that things are being actually being done !

:o

Brahmburgers: how excellent to see the use of the word "lacksadasical" ! ! I so enjoy to discover the fact that there are still people in this world who actually use the english language properly and to it's fullest extent ! !

Oddly my copy of the Concise Oxford Dictionary seems to have ommited the word "lacksadasical". It does however include what must be an improper spelling: "lackadaisical". Oh well, it's a living language....

By the way; the true gleaning & cleaning of the widely published land-fraud situations in places like Phuket, Samui, Koh Chang, Koh Tao et all, is well over-due and I for one, am happy that things are being actually being done !

My enjoyment would be the greater if English were correctly spelt. Try 'lackadaisical'

eddieold

:D

Now if we could only spell "lackadaisical" correctly. :D

I apologize for my perceived pedanticism and commend the authorities for completing this sweep of organized crime. :o

Edit in: I notice the other two posters caught the errant spelling before I did. My apologies.

Edited by chuckd

I would have bet money the word was lacks.....

However Collins & Merriam Webster both have it as : lackadaisical ;

lacking vitality & purpose ; lazy & careless ; lacking life spirit or zest.

Well done boys.

Rather than lazy I see the land office officials as greedy bastards who get rich selling off public lands ; irregardless of who if offering them bribes. Would be cool to see the blame properly apportioned. (i.e. Thai's ripping off other Thais.) This is "news" merely due to the falang connection. SAD A fact of daily life here.

Edited by dotcom

It is great to see people stretch their vocabulary a bit, but shame it's a shame it is spelt "lackadaisical" -- keep up the good work though!

Whoever roips off whom and who is punished or not is irrelevant . . . the Caucasian crooks are exactly that; crooks, and deserve to be behind bars. No use moaning about the Thais getting away with it scott-free . . . plus ca change plus ca reste la meme . . .

I would have bet money the word was lacks.....

However Collins & Merriam Webster both have it as : lackadaisical ;

lacking vitality & purpose ; lazy & careless ; lacking life spirit or zest.

Well done boys.

Rather than lazy I see the land office officials as greedy bastards who get rich selling off public lands ; irregardless of who if offering them bribes. Would be cool to see the blame properly apportioned. (i.e. Thai's ripping off other Thais.) This is "news" merely due to the falang connection. SAD A fact of daily life here.

and a little pedantry...........

about using correct English.....could someone explain exactly what is "off public land" ?

furthermore....in another post.....some person used the word "spelt"......surely the correct word is "spelled"?

I'd be very much surprised to learn that the actual intention behind these arrests was to catch any lawbreakers. More likely, some puuyai's toes were getting stepped on somehow by those arrested and a favour was called in. :o

....in another post.....some person used the word "spelt"......surely the correct word is "spelled"?

Either is correct, but depends which side of the pond you are on as to which is preferred.

Under cover of the night, the feeble-minded beadle comes flitting about Chancery Lane with his summonses, in which every juror's name is wrongly spelt, and nothing rightly spelt but the beadle's own name, which nobody can read or wants to know. Dickens

Now back to those land theiving villains :o

Interresting post , indeed, Just why so many newcomers are discussing about english languages? Look like OT to me, isn't it?

Same about french, people who want to look cultivate by using it should learn the minimal grammar or it will look like they are confusing 'culture' and ' cultivateur'.

Anyway it's an old news, anyone knowing LOS could bet 2 weeks ago Police will arrest some farangs in a nearby future.

My feelings is the britton is a real crook, so good job, but if we think a bit more we will have to admit there is a lot of farangs crooks here (and other kind of scumbags too), simply because in our western countries life is a bit harsh for them, but here with some tea money they can be prosperous (for a time).

Bottom line, I am happy the Police did its job, I feel sorry for those who bought and who will be expropriate (unsure it make sense in english), and I hope it will be a lesson for many of us (expats in LOS) : never, really never forget to pay the rightfull tea money to the right person, or you will as this britt visit soon the kingdom jails

Roxaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane

I feel for the victims, they'll get $crewed. :o

I am happy we bought, are living and building on wonderful Koh Sichang though... :D

And what's with the "Spelling Bee" on this thread?

Just wandering, nothing important actually, do you brought a piece of land, build your house & living on wonderful Koh Sichang with title deed?

Or you sign some Thai’s private agreement with local Thais having legal rights occupying the land you staying without title deeds?

To what I know, no title deeds were given to “Koh” Islands. Occupiers only pays yearly land fees occupying their lands, some with “nor tor 3 papers” yet transactions of land sales going on for decades with private sales agreements.

Beware of stringing bees swamping ahead.

Oddly my copy of the Concise Oxford Dictionary seems to have ommited the word "lacksadasical". It does however include what must be an improper spelling: "lackadaisical". Oh well, it's a living language....

=========================================================

Hey Happy Jack; you are utterly correct (Page 602 of the Concise Oxford D' does not lie !) I completely missed that one; thanks, mate !

Cheers, Jaap

Thai cops nab Britons on extortion charges

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai police arrested British and Danish members of an outlawed biker gang on Tuesday on suspicion of fraud, extorting money from foreign businessmen and money laundering.

Police said they nabbed Dane Kim Neilsen, 36, who had led a branch of the Bandidos Hells Angel group on the southern island of Samui, and Briton Crispin Paton-Smith, 43, in raids in the notorious eastern beach town of Pattaya.

In a separate bust on Samui, they picked up a second Briton, Peter Watkin Jones, 40, who would also be charged with conspiring to commit crime and money laundering, said Colonel Piyawat Kingket of the Department of Special Investigation.

Another Dane remains on the run, police said.

According to Piyawat, the group worked with corrupt Thai officials to issue deeds to public land on Samui and then sell them to foreigners who wanted to live on the paradise island, a prime retirement destination for Europeans.

The two Danes had also laundered about $3 billion baht (43 million pounds) from illegal businesses in Denmark, Piyawat said.

A Thai suspect was also held in the raid, he said.

Source: Reuters - 18 July 2006

Just wandering, nothing important actually, do you brought a piece of land, build your house & living on wonderful Koh Sichang with title deed?

Bought, not brought. Built not build. Title deed and in the blue book.

Darn, now I'm in the "Spelling Bee" English not your native language?

Or you sign some Thai’s private agreement with local Thais having legal rights occupying the land you staying without title deeds?

No.

To what I know, no title deeds were given to “Koh” Islands. Occupiers only pays yearly land fees occupying their lands, some with “nor tor 3 papers” yet transactions of land sales going on for decades with private sales agreements.

Wrong again.

Beware of stringing bees swamping ahead.

I'll bee real careful. Thanks for your concern :o

The Samui land grab has been a big topic in the Thai news for several weeks. Now it takes 100 officers to arrest a (probaly low-ranking) land officer and two "ordinary people"? They were "using influence to pressure local businesses and people to sell business and land to them"? How does that work in practice? And then bribe the one officer who was arrested to forge land papers, and if more were bribed, why weren't they arrested as well? What about the head of the land office? Wait, there was a foreigner arrested and thre more involved... They sent money received (from abroad) for overpriced property back abroad. Money leaving Thailand, now this is sinister.

Good it was just one lowly officer and a bunch of farangs, not corrupt politicians and their cronies. Biggest bull I've read in a long time even considering that TIT.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/18Jul2006_news08.php

Does anybody know if this "Peter Watkins Jones" is the same Peter Jones that owns the Samui Bungy jump, the Aussie pub West of Big Budda, part owner of Coco Blues, part owner of the sailing club and developer of townhouses on Samui?

This Peter is an Aussie while the report says he's a Brit. About the same age. Anyway, wondering if it's the same guy.

Even more oddly, my copy seems to have omitted the word ommited.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :o