Four Days In Bangkok - Alternative Things To Do?

taupo67

Jetting out to LOS and Cambodia for a month on Wednesday and we are spending four days in total at either end of our trip in Bangkok.

Having been to BKK many times I feel like I've done most of the touristy things - Palaces, Wats, Muay Thai, markets, shooting at the Territorial Range, Jim Thompson, Vertigo, Scirrocco, Seafood Market, MBK etc etc.

Always up for a new experience and happy to go off the beaten track so looking for a couple of ideas to keep us occupied.

Looking to take the train up to Ayuthaya for one day, but interested in obscure things to do in BKK, off the beaten track restaurants and bars, as well as any alternative activities.

Any ideas????

Many Thanks

Steve & Kelly

I can recommend spending the best part of a day having a cycle around Phra Phradaeng. This is the green area over the river from the port at Klong Toey. You may have seen it from Vertigo / Sirocco and can see it well on Google Earth.

It is a large (2000HA) swampy / marshy / jungle area with communities scattered in there connected by a few roads and a lot of elevated pathways that run through the jungle. Its a great little insight into what is a different world so close to Bangkok.

THere are tours that go there (spice roads etc) but you can do it yourself. Hire a mountain bike from Pro Bike in soi Lang Suan and head down Rama 4 to Klong Toey (Pro Bike will give you directions) and get a little shuttle boat over the river and off you go. There are scattered shops around so you can get water etc, but might be best to take a picnic lunch.

I have been here a while but did this recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. Set off aorund 10 and was back by 3 and had a geat day.

Doza - What a great post, I'm going to check that out this weekend. Save me walking all the way down Soi Lang Suan, where is PRo Bike near?

Other suggestions, although not as good as Doaz's post :-)

Hua Hin - Not in Bangkok but can get there in 2-3 hours by taxi, or rent a car.

Thai Movie - A different experience :-)

Thai Hot Pot - You grill or boil your own food, street style! I go to one in Pratunam every week, PM me if you want me to draw you a map! It's good and very cheap.

If I think of any more I'll let you know!

You could take one of the commuter long tail boats that goes on the smaller klongs and goes out away from the city. I once took the boat that goes to Bangkok Noi and just bought a ticket for the end of the line. I took some snacks to eat along the way. What I did was to go to the dock where the boat originated up on the Chow Phaya river...its very close to the Palace maybe it is Pier Chang or the next one over....I forget. Anyway if you ask at any of the piers up there I'm sure someone will direct you to the right one...maybe it will show on a map of the boat routes. You should be advised that there are two kinds of boats that go this way...one is for tourists and costs more...its reasonable but there is also the regular commuter water taxi boat that is really cheap. Its a fairly slow and pleasant trip...and the neat thing is that the market you will get to at the end is void of foreigners and was interesting for me to just be away from the big city feel.

For Pro Bike, head down Lang Suan from Ploenchit road, and turn right, its about 100 metres or so on your right. Not far from Brown Sugar etc.

Pretty good mountain bikes are about 350/day and you can pick them up the night before.

Ph 02 2541077 or email them (search for website). They are very helpful.

Have fun...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...