Relocation From Thailand

gabe

Hello,

I am currently married to a Thai lady and i have been living in Bangkok, Thailand for roughly one year.

I am seriously considering and i want to leave/move out of Thailand. I would like to move to Phnom Penh, Cambodia but i desperately need information that will help and assist me in moving from Bangkok, Thailand to Phnom Penh, Cambodia. I live in a townhouse and I have acquired/bought quite a few personal items that i want to take with me when i leave/move out of Thailand.

I have contacted jvk movers and their price quote seemed a bit high to me.

The reason(s) i am wanting to leave/move out of Thailand is because as a farang i no longer feel welcome here in Thailand and my marriage is failing which makes me very unhappy.

Please feel free to PM me

My advice would be that if you are going through a rough time (for what ever reason) then that is not the time to make a move as a move is only going to add more stress. Moving home is extremely stressful, though we do not always recognise it as such.

Deal with one problem at a time, rather than adding others to the pot.

Sorry to hear you are having a problem and the best of luck sorting things out.

My advice would be that if you are going through a rough time (for what ever reason) then that is not the time to make a move as a move is only going to add more stress. Moving home is extremely stressful, though we do not always recognise it as such.

Deal with one problem at a time, rather than adding others to the pot.

Sorry to hear you are having a problem and the best of luck sorting things out.

Thanks for the advice.

I would very much appreciate any information that TV members have about affordable moving companies and/or relocation services.

I recently used JVK for a move within Bangkok. I found the rates reasonable. What are you basing your evaluation on? I would imagine that land transportation to Phnom Penh would not be the easiest thing in the world to arrange.

I am always puzzled when people say they feel farangs are no longer welcome in Thailand. Could this be some sort of transference of another issue?

TH

I recently used JVK for a move within Bangkok. I found the rates reasonable. What are you basing your evaluation on? I would imagine that land transportation to Phnom Penh would not be the easiest thing in the world to arrange.

I am always puzzled when people say they feel farangs are no longer welcome in Thailand. Could this be some sort of transference of another issue?

TH

I will tell you that i am absolutely sick of living in Thailand and putting up with all the BULLSHIT from the thais. I cannot beleive the way that thais treat farang here, it is borderline criminal. I have message to caucasians in America and other countries DO NOT COME TO THAILAND IT IS A THIRD WORLD SHITHOLE.

TH

I will tell you that i am absolutely sick of living in Thailand and putting up with all the BULLSHIT from the thais. I cannot beleive the way that thais treat farang here, it is borderline criminal. I have message to caucasians in America and other countries DO NOT COME TO THAILAND IT IS A THIRD WORLD SHITHOLE.

Well you should be OK in Pnomh Phen then... :o

TH

I am sorry that you are not happy in Thailand especially as you say that your marriage is failing.

I can also understand a bit about Thai bullshit in Bangkok but I have been coming to Thailand and living here since 1993 and I don't think that any Thais that I know treat me badly.

I am married with a 2 year old son and we live 6 km from the nearest village and when I go into the village most people are pleasant to me as I am to them.

Maybe it is because I am 62 and try to speak my mangled Thai to them that they take pity on me but I don't think that Thailand is a shithole as you so clearly put it.

I have lived and worked in much worse countries than Thailand where you DON'T go down unlit roads or dark streets for safeties sake. While people were not out to actually shoot at me I wasn't happy there either whereas in Thailand I have no worries about dark streets.

Unlike you I will live the rest of my life in Thailand, die here, be cremated and dumped on the garden then live in the spirit house and watch over my family. I just hope that it will be a long time before this happens.

Edited by billd766

Please dont discourage the OP from leaving and let's all help him make the move as smoothly as possible. reading between the lines, I'd hazard a guess and suggest that Thailand will not be much poorer off without him.

OP, you lost whatever sympathy you might have generated with the SHITHOLE line.

Goodbye.

Please dont discourage the OP from leaving and let's all help him make the move as smoothly as possible. reading between the lines, I'd hazard a guess and suggest that Thailand will not be much poorer off without him.

OP, you lost whatever sympathy you might have generated with the SHITHOLE line.

Goodbye.

Goodbye.

Oh and btw for those Thais/asians wanting to come to the U.S.A. please don't America is FULL and for those thais/asians currently living in the U.S.A. please LEAVE.

Edited by gabe

Sorry to hear you are having probs mate, we all do sometimes and some of us have them all of the time. This country will break you if you let it. I would advise not to go to Cambodia as it is far worse living there.

You get a lot of people on this forum that make Thailand sound so good all the time. It is different living here, than to come over every year for a week or a month.

Leave the woman and carry on, stay with the woman, suck eggs and see.

Good Luck!

P.S. We are welcome here by some and to the rest we are just dollar signs. Pick the right circle to be in.

I have no clue about moving companies, wait a week and see how you feel.

Edited by Tornado

TH

I think you'll find, that Cambodia is even less like America than Thailand is. It is more corrupt. It has less infrastructure. Almost anything you'd like that's "western" will be a hassle. Most of the best of Cambodia either fled or was murdered. I think you're due for yet another miserable year, but good luck to you.

Classy guy.

But for the record, if you couldnt make it here, Cambodia is gonna eat you alive. You can move to as many countries in the world as you like, but you can't move from yourself and your own issues.

Cambodia may not be the end of the line, but you can see it from there.

TH

I am sorry you feel like that about htis country - I suggest you take a close look at yourself and the way you interact with those round you - from whom no doubt you have come to this sorry and somewhat incorrect conclusion.

YOu seem to forget that whereever you go you take yourself with - the one thing you cannot get away from is yourself.

For every one bad experiance you have there are literally thousands of people who can quote a good experiance. Sure, there are bumps in the road occassionally (for everyone), but you should be able to get over them, learn from them and move on.

But what I found offensive about your comment is that it was racist - your referance to "caucasians" as a distinct group who are warned says a lot about your attitude to those around you, and I put it to you that therein lies the problem.

Remeber what I said - you take yourself where ever you go.

Tim

Edited by Maizefarmer

TH

I am sorry you feel like that about htis country - I suggest you take a close look at yourself and the way you interact with those round you - from whom no doubt you have come to this sorry and somewhat incorrect conclusion.

YOu seem to forget that whereever you go you take yourself with - the one thing you cannot get away from is yourself.

For every one bad experiance you have there are literally thousands of people who can quote a good experiance. Sure, there are bumps in the road occassionally (for everyone), but you should be able to get over them, learn from them and move on.

But what I found offensive about your comment is that it was racist - your referance to "caucasians" as a distinct group who are warned says a lot about your attitude to those around you, and I put it to you that therein lies the problem.

Remeber what I said - you take yourself where ever you go.

Tim

I'm sorry that you interpreted my post(s) as "racist" but i do not consider myself and i am not racist.

There was really no other way I could interperate what you said GABE - but by all means, do correct me if you feel I was wrong.

The question has to be why you referred to caucasians in the context you did?

The response to your posting has been consistant throughout - everyone felt the problem lay with you.

Oh - nearly forgot: I think you would be better off in Laos - go take a look at Laung Prabang (the old French capital of Laos). A beautiful place. If you are taking your other half with you, she will not hack it in the long run. The Khmers and Thai's are "cat & dog" socialy - she will stick out like a sore thumb and not be made to feel welcome.

Phnom Phen is a wild place - you are looking at the end of the line.

Go take a look at Laung Prabang in Laos- the old French capital - where your other half will be much more comfortable and will be made to feel a lot more welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

PUBLIC WARNING

From the Forum Rules:

Religious or racial slurs, rude and degrading comments towards women, or extremely negative views of Thailand will not be tolerated.

A few posts in this thread have already overstepped that line.

Please respect the Thai people and don't let it happen again.

Offenders will be suspended.

I would suggest that you go spend a week or two in Phnom Penh. After a week or two I would bet that you will be VERY happy to see Bangkok again. Thailand is what you make it and I can tell you for a fact that there are much worse places to live.

Some good advice and I reckon immersing yourself in your homeland for a bit may help somewhat. Thailand is not perfect (although excellent for a holiday) and it can be <deleted> infuriating living here; especially, I imagine, if you've been shafted. Never been to Cambodia but I'd gather it'd be a big step back. Have a break; hope it works out for you.

Edited by jackr

Moving to PP from Thailand is a natural progression. I know many expats over there that have done that as BKK has become expensive in the last 10 years. The people I know there are quite happy and would never move back to Thailand in a million years. One guy lived here for 10 years and made his move early in this decade. He said that Thailand used to be like Bodia but the Thais got greedy as farangs came here and flashed the big cash around. I spent many days talking with this chap in PP in '02 before I moved to Thailand. I ran into many like minded expats there.

PUBLIC WARNING

From the Forum Rules:

Religious or racial slurs, rude and degrading comments towards women, or extremely negative views of Thailand will not be tolerated.

A few posts in this thread have already overstepped that line.

Please respect the Thai people and don't let it happen again.

Offenders will be suspended.

I agree.

I am brought 25 homes in my wife's name and 6 homes in her brother's name I love Thailand

The reason(s) i am wanting to leave/move out of Thailand is because as a farang i no longer feel welcome here in Thailand and my marriage is failing which makes me very unhappy.

You mean not welcome by your Thai wife anymore?

Sorry to hear that but going to Cambodia will make matters worse...

You mean not welcome by your Thai wife anymore?

Sorry to hear that but going to Cambodia will make matters worse...

No you really cannot say that at all. Cambo may well be the solution to the man's unhappiness. I've spent time there and almost moved there before I decided on BKK. There are a lot of great expats living there who make the place a whole lot of fun and can show Gabe the ins and outs of PP. Nothing wrong with PP at all. A thing about cambo is that the expats enjoy living there but they dont feel the need to talk the place up constantly as so many in Thailand seem to need to do. It's as if many expats here have to do that to convince themselves they made the right move to come here when they may well be stuck in an abyss from which there is no return. The good thing about Bodia is the freedom to come and go and do as you please w/o being condemned to some village in the middle of god knows where. I'd go to PP in a heartbeat if it came down to it