Visa For Wife To Attend Funeral

I would be most grateful for comments as soon as possible.

My father died suddenly a few hours ago and my wife's "indefinite period to remain" visa is past the 2 years limit ( been living here permanently more than 3 years). Anyone can advise how quickly UK Embassy can issue visa, what info required, and what are costs involved?

Thanks in advance. :o

May I offer my condolences on your loss.

Turnaround for a visit visa where all the documents are in order seems to be 3 to 5 days.

See VAC website for how to apply. Include a covering letter explaining the reason for the visit as well as the other items on the document checklist.

For further guidance see Guidance for Visitors Visa Applications .

The visa fee is 3,750.00baht plus a VAC handling charge of 425baht plus 7% VAT.

Dragonman - I can confirm for you that if your case is credible (and I am not doubting for on monet it is not - I am just converying to you the very point the emabssy will want to establish as it can of course be used in the worng way to get a visa), if the case is credible and you satisfy the ECo with everything they ask to see in support of that - they will move things on a quick pace that should take no more than a few days. The fact that she has been issued with "previous leave to remain in the UK" and did not violate it, can only be in her favour.

At the same time, I know of a case where a long term stayer in Thailand had lost his passport and only came to realise it was lost, when he was notified of his mothers' impending death, and went looking for it amongst his personal belongings. He satified all requirements (including been asked to put a paid for ticket on the table as "proof" that he needed to get back in a rush), was not issued a passport in time to get back to the UK for the death, the funeral or to be able to use the ticket - and in fact had to wait 2 weeks before he was issued with an "emergency travel document"

That was an "emergency travel document" - not a visa and arguebly a very different matter - to replace the passport for a person who had been a UK citizen all there life! That matter is about to go to court in the UK, and irt should be added thta the mess up has since been established to have taken place back in the UK - not at the embassy in Thailand.

Tim

Edited by Maizefarmer

• 1 month later...

Firstly thanks to everyone for messages and PM's concerning my father's death. As an up date the Visa was issued in 2 working days and my wife arrived the day before the funeral. However as not to be awarded top marks, the lady :o who phoned my wife from the Embassy spoke to her in a very demeaning fashion." Where have you been, this is the second time I've had to phone you in the last 15 minutes as there was no answer the first time." My answer "getting my breakfast, you silly cow". :D

Firstly thanks to everyone for messages and PM's concerning my father's death. As an up date the Visa was issued in 2 working days and my wife arrived the day before the funeral. However as not to be awarded top marks, the lady :o who phoned my wife from the Embassy spoke to her in a very demeaning fashion." Where have you been, this is the second time I've had to phone you in the last 15 minutes as there was no answer the first time." My answer "getting my breakfast, you silly cow". :D

Sorry for your loss Dragonman.

Great comeback!! :D ,why do public servant jobs attract such dickheads.

Sympathies Dragonman .

Seems it all worked out fine (as it should have done) and i hope when you are fully recovered you find the time to report this rude and unsympathetic woman to the authorities here and in Thailand , in the hope that the next person in your sad position will not have to endure her rudeness also.