Crackdown On "back-to-back" Tourist Visas

Crackdown on "back-to-back" tourist visas

Thai Immigration get brand new computer system

Question:

I've been doing habitual visa runs to Poi Pet for several months and it has come to my attention that this may be illegal, is there any truth to this?

For the record, I never overstay, dress smart and i'm polite. However I recently learnt that when doing this it is a requirement to have with you proof of a return ticket and sufficent funds totalling 20,000 to 30,000 baht and is this fact?

In addition could you please tell me what are the consequences for repeated visa runs and what is the meaning of deportation and being blacklisted and what would be the consequences for a foreigner wanting to re-enter should deportation occur? Link

Answer from Thai Immigration:

No, “visa-runs” are not directly illegal, but they are a violation of the intentions in Thai Law on Immigration.

The Law doesn’t say anything specific about it, but there is a regulation from 1997, which has never been enforced due to lack of resources, saying following (in plain English):

“You are only allowed 3 entries in a row on a Tourist Visa. After the third time you must leave the Kingdom and will not be allowed to return for 6 months”.

Since most foreign passports now are electronically readable, and the Royal Thai Police, under which the Royal Thai Immigration belongs, now got a nice, huge server set up in BK, things are going to change. All Immigration checkpoints are today online with HQ in BK, and within short time they will all get the equipment to electronically read passports. It has been tested at BK Airport for about one year, and we are now ready to implement it countrywide.

What will happen is following:

When you approach the Immigration checkpoint the third time in a row, you will be taken a side, your picture taken, you will be interrogated about what you are doing in Thailand, and how you are financing your stay here. And it won’t help you to show THB 20-30.000 in cash, it’s far from enough. You will have to prove that you have been transferring not less than THB 30-40.000,00 a month from abroad to cover the costings of your stay, going back up to 3 months depending on your visa (3 months or 30 days permit-to-stay). If you fail to do that, you will only be granted a 5-10 days permit-to-stay to give you time to pack your things and leave Thailand (again notice how fair we are). Further you will be prohibited from entering the Kingdom again within a period of not less than 6 months.

If you after those 6 months want to re-enter the Kingdom, you must on arrival prove that you got sufficient funds to finance your stay.

Now you might ask, “What's the meaning of this”? Well, Thailand got an extremely liberal Law on Immigration, and we for sure don't mind foreigners staying here. We do consider them a valuable contribution to our society. But we do mind having foreigners working illegal and/or running illegal businesses. They are not welcome at all. And them we want to catch, and believe us we will. Foreigners staying under such conditions in the Kingdom better start counting their days here.

Finally you are asking about deportation. To get deported from Thailand your offence must be very serious. It’s mostly for people doing serious crimes like overstaying long term, shooting their neighbours, a.s.o. In the case about visa-runs we’ll give you 5-10 days after which you’ll have to leave. But if you don’t do that, if you misuse our fairness in that regard, then you’ll be blacklisted and prohibited from ever returning. Other consequences: If you have been asked to leave the Kingdom, and prohibited from re-entering for a period, you’ll probably find it extremely difficult to obtain a visa at a Thai Embassy again, even after the mentioned period is passed.

Source: Thaiimmigration.com

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Thailand got an extremely liberal Law on Immigration,

Guess that would depend on your definition of "extremely liberal" (I know several other countries offhand that are more liberal) and more importantly which area of Thai immigration law you mean. Certainly getting permanent residency, for example, is much more difficult in Thailand than in the US, Canada or Australia. Naturalisation is also more difficult -- close to impossible, in fact, for a Caucasian male -- here.

One example: In most non-dictatorship, non-third-world countries if you marry a national, you can obtain permanent residency within a year. Not so in Thailand, unless you're a foreign female.

Now if you're talking about getting a tourist visa, then Thailand is quite easy, and quite reasonably so as tourism is the single biggest revenue earner for this country.

what about non immigrant b visas I have one but as yet have not started work and therefore haven't recieved a work permit yet what happens when i go to the border after 90 days will I be asked any questions?

One or Two Tourist visa should not be any problems, according to immigration. Try to get your work permit and a yearly extension.

I wonder what the postion is for those, who have multiple entry non immigrant O's and are married to Thai citizens. Will they be turned back after three consecu tive entries?

No problems with Non-Immigrabt visas. This problem is for repeated Tourist visa holders only!

the visa is valid for one year but still requires that you leave every 90 days i have been doing this for two years now, used to have a work permit but sold business. Previously nothing was asked when re-entering will they pressume that if you have a non immigrant visa that you are ok to stay or what

Withnail,

Can i just ask: what visa is valid for one year, requiring you to leave every 90 days, but does not need a work permit?

thanks!

Neph

NON-B or NON-O with multiple entries. Hardf to get in Asia region, but US, UK and Australia is quite easy at the small consulates.

I can't see what the problem is? If you have a job or a business and can prove it then you get the visa's you need?

If you are a foreigner and have no money and no job, do you really expect to be able to live in thailand ?

why should thailand want such people? they have enough problems of their own...

i fully support the new regulations and hopefully it will keep thailand smiling a little bit longer....and we wont be falling over so many foreign drunks in the future... :o

Hi today I recived my one year visa non imigrant o multiple entry. But will happen after one year can I get a new one in bkk or do I have to go back to holland?

Iám only 44 year but I will recive monthly 80000thb (rate 1 euro- bath 45).are there ways to stay longtime in thailand.

cheers mitmig

ps june 6 My wife and I will come to thailand for loooooooooooooooong time if they let us

Question?????????????

How much money must I have in a Thai bank to stay in Thailand????

AND::

What kind of Visa is needed to stay (live ) in Thailand??

What are the requirments for living in Thailand????

Thanks,,, relax

Guest chingy
I can't see what the problem is? If you have a job or a business and can prove it then you get the visa's you need?
what if i don't have a job and business, what kind of visa do i get
If you are a foreigner and have no money and no job, do you really expect to be able to live in thailand ?

what if you're a foreigner that have money and no job, and plenty of cash to spend in thailand

I remember back in 97 when everyone was freaking out that had tourist visas.

I had tourist visas for 4 years then, and guess what no problem. Now with the computer, I got a work permit.

I am told that the same happened a coulpe of times in the 80's.

There is always a way around these rules, or there has been anyway up til now.

Get a wp or a non-imm. if you are serious about staying in Thailand.

Many ways to do this - some get fake degrees if they need one, others get married, some get business visas in somewhere like Australia every year.

Who would have a problem?

MRBC

what if i don't have a job and business, what kind of visa do i get

what if you're a foreigner that have money and no job, and plenty of cash to spend in thailand

if you have no job and no business then i guess you would be a tourist

....... and if you have got plenty of cash to spend and no job....then you are a lucky rich tourist.....

Sorry, if this is off-thread but, the implication of the first post here is that you'd best be living off imported income whilst in the Kingdom and that the authorities will have you on a short leash if you are a business owner in Thailand and genereating your own income.

I have heard recently there exists a list of businesses/occupations to which farang are not allowed to work/own. It seems to me the original post might have indirectly been refering to these occupations.

Could someone here either post these ocupations/business on the list, or post a link to said list?

Thanks!

why should thailand want such people? they have enough problems of their own...

i fully support the new regulations and hopefully it will keep thailand smiling a little bit longer....and we wont be falling over so many foreign drunks in the future... :o

The problem, pal, is that some people living in Thailand are retired in their 40's with over a million baht in cash and pensions. These persons have no visa option other than tourist visas. These persons spend a great deal of money in this country, certainly quite a bit more than those others who scrap by to meet retirement or married visa requirements. They also spend a great deal more than penniless school teachers living in 2500 baht/mo flats on their pittance salaries

Hi today I recived my one year visa non imigrant o multiple entry. But will happen after one year can I get a new one in bkk or do I have to go back to holland?

Iám only 44 year but I will recive monthly 80000thb (rate 1 euro- bath 45).are there ways to stay longtime in thailand.

cheers mitmig

ps june 6 My wife and I will come to thailand for loooooooooooooooong time if they let us

mitmig, you should start a new thread with that question

cheers mitmig

oh yeah mit, on what grounds did you get your non imm O visa?

Certainly getting permanent residency, for example, is much more difficult in Thailand than in the US, Canada or Australia. Naturalisation is also more difficult -- close to impossible, in fact, for a Caucasian male -- here.

You're out of your mind. My sister (an American) married a foreigner (a Mexican) a couple years ago, and it has been a major, major pain in the butt trying to get his visa situation straightened out so that he can stay in the US, work, eventually get a green card and citizenship.

I got permanent residency in Thailand a couple years ago with absolutely no pain whatsoever -- and I'm not even married to a Thai.

As for naturalization in Thailand, I have not yet applied so do not know what difficulties (if any) that entails. I am going to give it a try once I have had my PR for a couple more years.

What impact will Thailand's expected enforcement of its immigration laws have on English language schools such as AUA, which (illegally) require newly hired teachers to undergo a probationary period without a work permit during which they must do visa runs? Take a look at their website where they openly state this illegal policy. At AUA, some teachers of many years service still do visa runs. The Thai Immigration Department doesn't seem to mind. Why I don't know.

Perhaps Thailand's Immigration Department should look further up the food chain to well established businesses such as AUA in deciding how to effectively and efficiently enforce its laws, regulations and their underlying policies?

Comments anyone at AUA or elsewhere?

:o I have been living in China for the past seven years and sending money to a bank in Thailand from Hong Kong to support my bi monthly stay there.

Every year I just go to Hong Kong and renew my one year Visa for China.

Hey guys it is just as cheap to live in China much easier to get a visa with no Thai B****t.

Although it is more difficult to find the good beaches and marine facilities. But the ladies are also great

The point comnunist China is no problem for visa's why is Thailand so awkward they must really have a thing against farangs. But the Thai people themselves are great. They need to sack the goverment officials.

ken61137

The problem, pal, is that some people living in Thailand are retired in their 40's with over a million baht in cash and pensions. These persons have no visa option other than tourist visas. These persons spend a great deal of money in this country, certainly quite a bit more than those others who scrap by to meet retirement or married visa requirements. They also spend a great deal more than penniless school teachers living in 2500 baht/mo flats on their pittance salaries

Retired in your 40's with lots of money!

I feel for you. You have big problems!!

You still can't figure how to get round this one????

Get a non-imm.

COUPLE OF QUESTIONS??? ARE THEY TALKING TOURIST VISAS IN ALL FORMS OR SPECIFICALLY 30 DAY ENTRIES ???? . ALSO WHAT DEFINES BACK TO BACK ??? HOW LONG DO YOU STAY OUTSIDE THAILAND BEFORE YOUR RETURN IS SEEN AS BACK TO BACK ???

What impact will Thailand's expected enforcement of its immigration laws have on English language schools such as AUA, which (illegally) require newly hired teachers to undergo a probationary period without a work permit during which they must do visa runs? Take a look at their website where they openly state this illegal policy. At AUA, some teachers of many years service still do visa runs. The Thai Immigration Department doesn't seem to mind. Why I don't know.

Perhaps Thailand's Immigration Department should look further up the food chain to well established businesses such as AUA in deciding how to effectively and efficiently enforce its laws, regulations and their underlying policies?

Comments anyone at AUA or elsewhere?

The Labour Department minds.