Gay Saunas or bars in Isaan?

BigSnake

:o Can only speak for Roi Et, nothing, no gay sauna nor gay bar, think it may be true of most parts of Isaan :D Dukkha
\\

Thank Dukkha. Maybe to many sexy women in Isan. I drove thur Roi Et christmas day, stop for a cool drink at Tesco Lotus. Nice town.

My opinion: The region is generally too conservative to have an openly gay establishment. Maybe one or two exceptions in the largest cities (Ubon, Korat, etc.). Just a guess. If you're familiar with the USA, imagine trying to open a gay sauna in Wyoming. I doubt even Ennis or Jack would darken your door. :o

I'd have to second Toptuan's comments. There are definitely places to go. Around the corner from the go-go bar in Khon Kaen is a nice little karaeoke bar which is gay.

In my local very small village there are two kareoke bars which could be considered gay-friendly (at the very least).

Drop into any bar in Issan, be neatly dressed (nothing flashy), sit down and order yourself a drink. Even if you don't know a single person, I guarantee you will be joined by some pleasant company. It will be obvious to the Thais what you are after (male or female) and they will oblige willingly.

I could add that it helps to have a gay Thai to go with you as in most of these small places, no English is spoken, but a smile is universal.

Peter

:o Suucintly put Peter, even in our village, if I were not with my bf, there would be plenty of offers from a wide range of ages...as my thai is OK am at an advantage in starting up a conversation...lets face it, most of the Kingdom is a vast cruising arena, as the thais so often say...'up to you'.... :D Dukkha

Hangin out for that 300th post!

RE GAY SAUNAS,

YES THERE ARE 2 IN KHON KAEN ,

THE BEACH GAY SAUNA,NEAR RAJAMANGALA UNIVERSITY,PRACHASASAMORSON RD SIDE,

THE DOLPHIN SAUNA /MASSAGE ,SUPHATEERA SOI,PRACHASASAMOSORN RD,NEAR WEDDING SHOPS,SOFITEL SIDE OF TOWN.

THEY ARE VERY BUSY. THE MAIN BAECH SAUNA IS IN BANGKOK...[ON INTERNET...

the sripatna hotel in korat is onehotel i have stayed at a few times,18 months ago .where if you turn right there is a small bar which is gay friendly.as for hotel great,especially the guitar/singer who does great musical inpersonations,although im happily married i might see you there.

• 1 month later...
RE GAY SAUNAS,

THE DOLPHIN SAUNA /MASSAGE ,SUPHATEERA SOI,PRACHASASAMOSORN RD,NEAR WEDDING SHOPS,SOFITEL SIDE OF TOWN.

The irony is killing me :o

Sadly not EN/Lacoste .... but there is a bit of irony :D

RE GAY SAUNAS,

The irony is killing me :o

Sadly not EN/Lacoste .... but there is a bit of irony :D

I am going to Khon Kaen next week. Can NE1 tell me about those saunas? Is the Beach out of town or walking distance? Is it busy? What time is it open? I guess that the university crowd is on holiday/out of town??

I have never heard of the Dolphin, it isnt advertised much. Is it as good as Beach?

PEd

Have 'Gay Bar' Nong Khai. They don't push in your face. My mate and our wives go there regularly. It's one of Nong Khais best places to drink and eat. Close to the market.

Do you know the name of the place?

It's called the ''Thasadej Bar'' It's also at the start of the market where the Sam Laws sit.

Wee Jimmy.

• 1 month later...

:o

I was in kohn kaen last w/e.

this is current:

most of the info on utopia is way old (1998). some of the stuff on this site is incorrect.

There are NO gay bars in KK.

There is cruising in the toilets in the Kosa centre, especially the one near the clothes shops Esprit etc. there is also eye contact in kosa centre. there are cameras in parts of the Kosa centre. I must have been spied, for sure, cruising...but maybe these cams are fakes (or they dont care).

The Dolphin sauna near the wedding shops is now SHUT. this was confirmed to me by a local, and I still checked out on foot..shut.

There is a boy-massage place called Dragon. You walk out of Sofitel and turn left. Go across road and towards Times Sq bars. it is near a bookshop in one of the streets facing you. i dont know the fees, i never went.

there is a disco under the Charoen princess hotel, one of the 3 big hotels in the centre. It is MIXED with some gays. I heard it opens at 10pm but not busy until late. people go there to meet guys.

the beach sauna is open. It is in a big shop house type place and about 4 miles OUT of town centre, on the Kalasin road. Past the Jet garage is a college and then a 7-11. opposite a bit further is the road, and the Beach is on the left in a soi. I went early on a saturday and there were about 6 guys. beware, cos it opens at 6pm, and nobody arrives for a bit. it shuts at 2. the receptionists are nice, the camp one speaks english. it costs about 130b. It is seedy, a bit like an old house on 4 floors. it is NOT Babylon.

There are SongThaws that go past the road 10-20b BUT its better to get TTuk. it is supoosed to be 70b TTuk but I paid 100 rather than argue, I was tired and a farang. the Beach will call TTuk for you to get back to town. the driver going back was nicer and wanted 80b.

KK is a nice town but I prefer Udon (also dead). I was hoping for a bit of life in KK but it's not hopping! maybe some people love it?

Thats all folks!

P

BTW ... you will find limited English spoken ... be polite and you'll have a fun time!

in udon thani MR TONGS is very gay friendly oppisite the grand hotel...

Yes, because MR Tong himself is gay. A gay friend who is Thai and from Udon says that he is a Kat-Toey. My Thai friends tell me that, if anything, Mr T´s bar used to be more gay, but now more of the hetero old-timers and drunks of Udon (of which there are many, I am told) have crept back in there.

I was in Udon last w-e and saw a lot of ladyboy types in the centre, more than I would have expected.

The only other gay-ish bar in Udon is a Karaoke type place somewhere in the centre. It is said by my gay Thai friends to be a bit seedy, and they avoid it. I don´t know anythg more.

P

By the way...

If you go to Khon Kaen and want to find the BEACH sauna, the Beach group has a web page which has a map.

BUT the map is all in thai, and it´s not to scale. On the map it doesnt show that the place is in fact 3-4 miles out of town...it looks like the location is 2 blocks from the bus station...the map has been condensed.

PEd