Update of GPS Thai Map for a Toyota Fortuner 2014

spetersen

Went to my Toyota dealer here in Pattaya today for 50000 km service on my 2014 Fortuner , I them asked about a GPS map update, if it is available and how much it will cost me . I was about to loose my chin 19059 THB with a 15 % discount Just want everyone to know, anyone here on the forum know about any other options? 

Put some reasonable software on your mobile and use that. These built-in navis are a rip-off. In case of Android, I recommend HERE Maps or Maps.ME, maybe Mapfactor. All come for free, the maps are regualarly updated FOR FREE. In case of HERE, you can get good maps of more than 100 countries (except China/Hong Kong), Maps.ME uses OpenStreetMap, which includes China/Hong Kong.

Give that stuff a try, you can only win.

56 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

Put some reasonable software on your mobile and use that. These built-in navis are a rip-off. In case of Android, I recommend HERE Maps or Maps.ME, maybe Mapfactor. All come for free, the maps are regualarly updated FOR FREE. In case of HERE, you can get good maps of more than 100 countries (except China/Hong Kong), Maps.ME uses OpenStreetMap, which includes China/Hong Kong.

Give that stuff a try, you can only win.

I just bought a new compass.......:stoner:

• 4 weeks later...

Spetersen, I have the same model Toyota Fortuner and some time after delivery, I noticed that the Map was way out of date - a 2013 Micro SD! I contacted Toyota directly and they told me that their ‘Navigator’ system was not a Toyota product and that the 3rd party supplier charged exorbitant Licence fees to upgrade. After much negotiating and telephoning, I managed to get an upgrade to 2015 FREE! However, it was still a year out of date when I obtained it in 2016 and there isn’t another upgrade until 2018.

For a worldwide manufacturer like Toyota to have such a poorly managed navigator system is beyond belief and I will certainly not be buying another Toyota product.

Try phoning 023862000 to explain your situation. It’s the number for Toyota Motors Thailand.

For your information, there is a part number for the Micro SD Card - 8627160382 and the 2015 Update was listed at 20,955 ThB.

I did think of writing to the Japanese President of Toyota who had such a big profile in Thailand last year but felt that it would just fall on deaf ears...

On buying any new car in Thailand I will now check the software version of any GPS system that may be installed.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Martin

Edited by AjarnMartin

Thank you so much for this information , It is completely crazy with this behavior/policy from Toyota. When I still was living in Sweden I had through AUDI a subscription for update and that was not moor 75 USD / year worked perfectly and please go ahead and complain directly to Japan / All the best Stefan

PS I will call them on the number you gave me.... Thanks again

10 hours ago, spetersen said:

Thank you so much for this information , It is completely crazy with this behavior/policy from Toyota. When I still was living in Sweden I had through AUDI a subscription for update and that was not moor 75 USD / year worked perfectly and please go ahead and complain directly to Japan / All the best Stefan

PS I will call them on the number you gave me.... Thanks again

is it not possible to download & use a usb or similar?

On 9/28/2017 at 6:55 PM, Rotweiler said:

We have a lot of misinformation being posted about Toyota GPS units.

First of all, they are Garmin units.   Updates are simple and free.

The url is https://toyota.garmin.com/toyota/

There does not appear to be a time limit on the updates.

The FAQ in the link you posted says Toyota vehicles with Garmin navigation get 1 year of map updates at no cost.

What is the misinformation you speak of?

• 1 month later...

I have a 2014 Vigo Champ 4WD with the same Toyota Navigation System.  I have asked at several GPS shops and nobody seems to know what system Toyota uses in these models.  The local Toyota dealers, when asked about updates, just say 'mai mee' , the usual easy way out of any problem here.

When I try to read the micro SD card (p/n 86271-02021, made in Japan) on my laptop (Windows7) it does not even register and it would appear the SD card is faulty.  However when reinserted in the car it works fine.

Following the detailed update instructions on the Toyota Garmin update website listed above it does not appear to work for Thai models.  Hence I think the Thai cars do not use Garmin. 

So still stuck and no updated map. It is ludricous that Toyota apparently asks Thb 20K or more for this.  Will just have to use the phone to support the car GPS at times...disappointing from an otherwise excellent brand.

• 1 month later...

The free lifetime updates do not apply to the Thai version GPS Units, there is no option to "Update" via the system onboard
As far as i know ESRI  (Mapping Company in Bangkok) does the map software
The software installed is Thailand City Navigator, you can check which version (Year) you have installed by going into settings on your car unit.
There is a pretty simple way of updating your installed Maps, Mine is on a SD card installed in the unit
I updated mine to :
City Navigator Thailand NT 2017.20 [Dual]
Updated it Yesterday, and it appears to be working fine, shows new Golf Courses etc the old version did not have . . . . 
I have done this a few times before as well, but found recently an easier quicker way
My car was Bought January 2015, latest version last Model Toyota Fortuner TRD, Sure the GPS data same on most Toyota similar timeframe
Cost ??? Zero Baht, and 10 minutes download, 5 minutes install . . .