Meet the inspirational cop giving back to the poor in Buriram

webfact

Meet the inspirational cop giving back to the poor

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvNjc4LzMzOTA4MTQvbmV3czIzLmpwZw==.jpg

Picture: Sanook

BURIRAM: -- The story of an inspirational young policeman giving back to his Buriram community has attracted wide interest online.

The tale of deputy sergeant Apichit Phanthapratheep attached to the Muang district force in the north eastern town has been shared more than 40,000 times.

Apichit has forked out his own money - some 150,000 baht - to set up a school for poor and underprivileged children.

He has rented a two story building downtown and goes to teach during his time off. He provides books for free and needs to pay 15,000 baht a month rent from his own pocket.

So far he has about ten students some of whom live in. Most of the M1 to M4 students are the children of farmers.

They study for nothing - the only criteria is that they be willing to learn and are unable to afford a proper education.

He has named his school "Ban Sang Fan" - the 'home where dreams are made' and hopes to inspire poor kids to fulfil their potential and make the most of their lives.

He told Sanook that he had come from humble beginnings himself but had entered the civil service and gone through the ranks swiftly.

Now he wanted to start giving back to the community.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-05

2 hours ago, webfact said:

They study for nothing - the only criteria is that they be willing to learn and are unable to afford a proper education.

I'm confused. Education in Thailand is free and compulsory up to the age of 16. So why ain't he doing his job and making them go to a government school?

I see it as fake news and more of a case of 'hearts and minds' on behalf of the police.

Reading this post leaves both myself and my wife puzzled.

Every child gets free education from the government, books uniform, lunches.

So where is the need for him doing the same?

It also states he pays the 15000 baht per month rent, that must be most of his salary.

My wifes comment reading the thread, was he is doing it to make show, make him look good.

Although the government does say that education is free, the reality is not always the case. Most directors at the better government schools will tell students there is no spot for them in the school unless they pay added costs. 

I am at a poor government school (obviously government pays me, not school) and periodically rich families will travel 5 hours from Bangkok just to donate to the school. No TV/news, just a donation for the kids. This guys story just got out as he is a copper. 

Even if he is doing it to look good, the kids will still be probably getting a better education than at the local schools that are actually 'free'.

We are a bitter bunch on this forum it seems. 

5 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

We are a bitter bunch on this forum it seems. 

On living in a village with a high level of policing due to the fact the village is in a large Amphur and accommodates the  Amphur police station. The police live within the community and I never see them put anything back into it. Come the weekends it's nothing but underage teen racers speeding through the village and the local computer shop bulging at the seams. Plus there's the Yabba. Cops do nothing. I sat drinking with a local cop once who'd just come off duty and was still in uniform. Right in front of us was a motorcycle accident. The cop got up, not to assist, but to walk to the back of the shop so's not to get involved. He still had his radio on but wouldn't call it in.

Plus the police could easily organise these kids in to playing football teams and have a inter village competitions. But nah. As I said 'I never see them put anything back'. That's why I'm probably one of the 'bitter bunch' and don't see this story above being true. :smile:

6 minutes ago, sinbin said:

On living in a village with a high level of policing due to the fact the village is in a large Amphur and accommodates the  Amphur police station. The police live within the community and I never see them put anything back into it. Come the weekends it's nothing but underage teen racers speeding through the village and the local computer shop bulging at the seams. Plus there's the Yabba. Cops do nothing. I sat drinking with a local cop once who'd just come off duty and was still in uniform. Right in front of us was a motorcycle accident. The cop got up, not to assist, but to walk to the back of the shop so's not to get involved. He still had his radio on but wouldn't call it in.

Plus the police could easily organise these kids in to playing football teams and have a inter village competitions. But nah. As I said 'I never see them put anything back'. That's why I'm probably one of the 'bitter bunch' and don't see this story above being true. :smile:

100% of police are like that? There isn't just one exception? I have a few family and friends who are police and are giving back to the poorer community, running things like soccer events in the community. Even paying the local field to hire so the poorer kids get to experience grass, rather than dirt. 

Edited by wildewillie89

23 minutes ago, sinbin said:

The guy's paying 15,000 Baht per month in rent outta his own pocket. Give over.

As he is an official, things like his accommodation is paid for. He really wouldn't have that many day to day expenses. Also it would have been incredibly easy to get a very cheap loan to start up the school (being an official). Many Thai have gone into a lot more debt for a lot less. 

My father-in-law was denied high school as he grew up in a rural area as his dad wanted him to work. He walked to the high school (would be close to an hour walk), and explained the situation as a 13 year old and they tested him and gave him a place. He then joined the army, and sent back his pay cheque to get his siblings through school also (as not all government schools are 'free'). He became a Colonel, his brother is now boss of police in the city. He took early retirement to become a Mayor, and is now ranked 11 from 7,500 odd Mayors due to the projects he is putting in to help his community. Before he became Mayor they didn't even have running water. Now they have water, various buildings, canals/dams for farmers, free wifi at the community meeting place, a juvenile prison on the way to bring in jobs, child care centre, the Immigration office looks like it will be built here, a laboratory for rice, has even painted lines on some of the roads. All in his first term.

Not all Thai are useless. Some come from poor to modest backgrounds, like this copper said he did, and want to improve the community. Just like some farang do. 

Edited by wildewillie89

8 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

As he is an official, things like his accommodation is paid for. He really wouldn't have that many day to day expenses. Also it would have been incredibly easy to get a very cheap loan to start up the school (being an official). Many Thai have gone into a lot more debt for a lot less. 

My father-in-law was denied high school as he grew up in a rural area as his dad wanted him to work. He walked to the high school (would be close to an hour walk), and explained the situation as a 13 year old and they tested him and gave him a place. He then joined the army, and sent back his pay cheque to get his siblings through school also (as not all government schools are 'free'). He became a Colonel, his brother is now boss of police in the city. He took early retirement to become a Mayor, and is now ranked 11 from 7,500 odd Mayors due to the projects he is putting in to help his community. Before he became Mayor they didn't even have running water. Now they have water, various buildings, canals for farmers, free wifi at the community meeting place, a juvenile prison on the way to bring in jobs, child care centre, the Immigration office looks like it will be built here, a laboratory for rice, has even painted lines on some of the roads. All in his first term.

Not all Thai are useless. Some come from poor to modest backgrounds, like this copper said he did, and want to improve the community. Just like some farang do. 

As he is an official, his accommodation would be paid for?

Please explain where you got that from?

My wife is an official, she receives not 1 baht towards accommodation.

Also whats this about him getting cheap loans?

Officials can ge t loans easy, yes they can but at the same rates as others.

9 minutes ago, colinneil said:

As he is an official, his accommodation would be paid for?

Please explain where you got that from?

My wife is an official, she receives not 1 baht towards accommodation.

Also whats this about him getting cheap loans?

Officials can ge t loans easy, yes they can but at the same rates as others.

Banks always offer promotions to officials. Just yesterday they visited my wife's office for example, probably visit every 3 months with promotions only for officials. 

The accommodation would depend on his hometown as most official try and work outside of their hometown in the first two years. If you work the first two years of your life outside your hometown you have housing provided. When move back to your hometown you are paid monthly rent until your homeloan is paid off. We receive 3,000 per month to put towards our homeloan, which right now covers 50% of the loan. Over 30 years will still cover 30% of it. If we rented an apartment, would cover 90-100% in our city (depending if we want aircon). 

Edited by wildewillie89

1 minute ago, wildewillie89 said:

Banks always offer promotions to officials. Just yesterday they visited my wife's office for example, probably visit every 3 months with promotions only for officials. 

The accommodation would depend on his hometown as most official try and work outside of their hometown in the first two years. If you work the first two years of your life outside your hometown you have housing provided. If no housing, then you are paid rent. Even if move back to your hometown you are paid monthly rent until your homeloan is paid off. 

You are talking nonsense

7 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Go and ask any official...clearly your Mrs worked the first two years in her hometown so does not know about this.

As i already said you are talking nonsense, my wife worked 200 kilometers from home in her first 5 years.

Just now, colinneil said:

As i already said you are talking nonsense, my wife worked 200 kilometers from home in her first 5 years.

Was it still considered the area though? For example, was she born in Korat, but also worked in Korat, just another district though? 

My wife receives the money, but many of her colleagues don't (as first work place was in their area). If your wife does not receive it, I would suggest you contact the human resources person in her workplace. My wife only found out that next month she will increase two pay levels, as the human resources person wasn't keeping up to date.

Edited by wildewillie89

Either way, if it is not his hometown then the police would provide accommodation. If it is, he would probably stay with family - both free. I am extremely surprised your wife and you have not heard of this though. It is as well known as free health for officials. And why many seek to go for the test in other cities (depending on department). Although if she already has a paid off house in her name she cannot get the right.

Amounts per month, whether to pay rent or put towards loan:

c2-c3 get 2,500
c4-c6 get 3,000 (Mrs is c6)
C7 get 3,500 
C8 up get 4,000

If you want, I will provide the relevant link later that your Mrs can translate for you to confirm it is not nonsense  :).

Edited by wildewillie89
Added info

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

You are talking nonsense

http://202.28.103.179/HRstou/images/welfare/w18.pdf

http://new.forest.go.th/wp-content/uploads/sites/17/2015/12/9.-ค่าเช่าบ้าน-กรมไม้-1.5-ชม2-ธ.ค.-ส่งไฟล์.pdf

My sentiment was a lot nicer than the Mrs for an official not knowing this. In the future I suggest you do the relevant research before calling 'nonsense' :)

Edited by wildewillie89

12 hours ago, colinneil said:

Reading this post leaves both myself and my wife puzzled.

Every child gets free education from the government, books uniform, lunches.

So where is the need for him doing the same?

It also states he pays the 15000 baht per month rent, that must be most of his salary.

My wifes comment reading the thread, was he is doing it to make show, make him look good.

Education, ie teaching and facilities is free yes.

But the books, uniforms and in many cases lunches are most certainly not free.

So that's new books every term or year. Up to 4 different uniforms recquired for each week. Purchased annually as they grow up. 30-50 baht per day for lunch.

So, no, not totally free.

Oh, and add in monthly school bus fees if uncle/aunt can't bring 3 of them in on their moped.

1 minute ago, thaiguzzi said:

Education, ie teaching and facilities is free yes.

But the books, uniforms and in many cases lunches are most certainly not free.

So that's new books every term or year. Up to 4 different uniforms recquired for each week. Purchased annually as they grow up. 30-50 baht per day for lunch.

So, no, not totally free.

Oh, and add in monthly school bus fees if uncle/aunt can't bring 3 of them in on their moped.

Sorry you are wrong, children at village schools get free books, free uniform, free lunches.

Now before you spout of again saying i am wrong, my wife is the director of a village school here in Issan, and she knows more about that than you.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Sorry you are wrong, children at village schools get free books, free uniform, free lunches.

Now before you spout of again saying i am wrong, my wife is the director of a village school here in Issan, and she knows more about that than you.

To be fair, she hasn't been the best reference so far in this thread when it comes to what welfare the government gives out lol. 

Village schools mean nothing in terms of actual education. I am at a city school for the poor in Isaan (where everything is free), which I would consider useless, and that is a step up from the village school near my house. Villagers actually pay for the bus in the hope the kids will learn something rather than sending them to the village school. If the kid is wanting at least a basic education then they need to go to one of the bigger government city schools or a private school. And the directors will not accept kids in those generally unless they pay an added cost - regardless of how free it is meant to be. 

The fact this guy has moved up the ranks pretty quickly would suggest he has half a brain in his head, and would know all of this. Which is why he only requests the dedicated children.

We should be celebrating his actions. It is getting pretty sad on this forum where everyone is hating the world around them so much they cant even see something a little bit positive. 

19 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Okey dokey. Free uniforms and lunches too AT VILLAGE SCHOOLS. I'll double check.

Ok then, my above comments still stand regarding small to medium market town schools. Let alone large towns or cities.

• 2 weeks later...

News: 

As of probably next year the government has increased the monthly repayments to put towards rental/home loan. So the Mrs for example, will go from getting 3,000 to 4,000 per month. Then in two years as her pay scale moves up, she will then get 5,000 per month - the way her home loan is that will pay 60% of it. 

In the context of this police officer, there are many variables that will help him pay for this school. Our interest rate last year was half the standard banks (3.5%), this year 4.2%), and will always be minus 0.75% of the banks rate so would be 6% this year for example. Other types of loans (example bank loan for car are cheaper for officials also). In terms of renting the 15,000, if he approves for this welfare he will receive probably 3,000 per month to assist with the payments if he is living there also - which will only keep on going higher as his pay scale goes higher. 

Only has 10 students also. Lets try being a little more positive and understand the countries processes a little better. Many things on this forum that are disregarded are very plausible, people just don't know what they are talking about. 
21741557_10214055030875847_1283982183_n.jpg?oh=847bd025f868b30791e4e647d53c37a4&oe=59BD0CFC

Edited by wildewillie89

On 05/09/2017 at 9:23 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Okey dokey. Free uniforms and lunches too AT VILLAGE SCHOOLS. I'll double check.

Ok then, my above comments still stand regarding small to medium market town schools. Let alone large towns or cities.

Some village schools maybe. Not all. 

Why make a bad news story from someone who is trying to do the right thing. My wife is about to offer free English lessons to those kids who want to learn in the village. At her expense. No other motive...just wants to help a little like this guy. Is that wrong!! Give him a break!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

The gent in the photo is a Police Lieutenant ?

That is correct. 

Officer ranks Police General Police Lieutenant General Police Major General Police Brigadier Police Colonel Police Lieutenant Colonel Police Major Police Captain Police Lieutenant Police Sub Lieutenant No Insignia
พลตำรวจเอก พลตำรวจโท พลตำรวจตรี พลตำรวจจัตวา1 พันตำรวจเอก พันตำรวจโท พันตำรวจตรี ร้อยตำรวจเอก ร้อยตำรวจโท ร้อยตำรวจตรี นักเรียนนายร้อยตำรวจ
Phon Tam Ruad Ek Phon Tam Ruad Tho Phon Tam Ruad Tri Phon Tam Ruad Jattawa1 Phan Tam Ruad Ek Phan Tam Ruad Tho Phan Tam Ruad Tri Roi Tam Ruad Ek Roi Tam Ruad Tho Roi Tam Ruad Tri Nak Rian Nai Roi Tam Ruad
Police General Police Lieutenant General Police Major General Police Brigadier1
(Police Special Colonel is used instead)[15]
Police Colonel Police Lieutenant Colonel Police Major Police Captain Police Lieutenant Police Sub Lieutenant Police Cadet Officer

On 9/5/2017 at 9:02 PM, colinneil said:

Sorry, but your wife is lying to you on this matter. Education is free from P1 to M3 - not books, certainly not uniforms, not lunches. Yes, I have experience actually working in the schools in rural areas, and yes, I know what I am on about,

10 minutes ago, AliasJohn said:

At her expense. No other motive...just wants to help a little like this guy. Is that wrong!! Give him a break!!

Is she forking out 15Gs the same as this policeman? Teacher/policeman probably on about the same wage? The policeman isn't a qualified teacher and should stick to his own profession. Do teachers poke their noses into police affairs? Of course not. Best thing for him to do is put the kids into a boarding school that is specially designated for children that wag school or are troublesome with regards to learning . In fact it's in Buriram Province where this officer lives. It's located in Nang Rong.

Edited by sinbin