Why less asthma here then in Europe?

Destiny1990

I had it pretty bad during my last 5 years in Australia, I was working at a grain storage facility and suffered from it daily.  The two things that triggered it were dust and very cold weather.

Like others have reported, my breathing is back to normal since I moved to Thailand and I haven't needed to use medication. 

I'm wondering if the moisture in the air over here keeps the dust level down somehow, or dry air triggers asthma more somehow.  

I can attest to the cold being a factor. Living in Bathurst NSW for a while, where it can get pretty cold at night, I would often be woken by pretty bad asthma attacks.....What a pain in the ass. Its not only kind of scary it also disrupts your sleep....

My parents want me to visit them next April. That's peak pollen/hayfever time. I am not overly enthusiastic, infact to be honest

I dont really want to go back there at all. 

There is definitely some link between sleep and drop in  temp/body temperature that set it off in me. I dont wish to return to that, ever.

6 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Cataracts are easy to fix these days.

I use Symbicort - inhaled steroids are not as bad as they sound, as they don't get into your bloodstream

Unlike most people here, my asthma gets worse in Thailand, better in Sydney.

Where in Thailand u live? If u near to burning areas that is the cause for sure.Here in Jomtien and even in bkk i never used Ventolin once.

Edited by Destiny1990

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Where in Thailand u live? If u near to burning areas that is the cause for sure.Here in Jomtien and even in bkk i never used Ventolin once.

My doctor told me that each asthmatic is sensitive to different triggers. For some people it's pollen, in my case it seems to be air pollution - smoke from burning, or just from being in Bangkok aggravates it.