Fiber Optic Router Replace???? Help!!!

moonseeker

Dear experts

I am signed up with 3BB  Fiber Optic 200/100.

My router/modem  (FIBER HOME, China) must be damaged and gives me 

terrible WiFi speeds of below 3mb with various devices, full signal, near or far,  LAN connections are OK, with

the usual "limitations" internationally.

Anybody can recommend a modem/router combo / brand / model  that I can replace myself. Techs from provider seem to have 

no clue or no interest.

Thank you kindly.   MS>

12 hours ago, moonseeker said:

I am signed up with 3BB  Fiber Optic 200/100.

My router/modem  (FIBER HOME, China) must be damaged and gives me 

terrible WiFi speeds of below 3mb with various devices, full signal, near or far,  LAN connections are OK, with

the usual "limitations" internationally.

5 hours ago, muratremix said:

If speed is fine via ethernet, just buy a good ac router. Ac1200 or ac1900. You still need to use fiber home china device for optic signal conversion.

Yes, as muratremix says, you have to keep the 3BB provided FiberHome router, but you can disable the WiFi function on it and add-on a separate Ethernet box that gives you that function.

Fiber Optic is a 'shared service' and the router acts as a media converter (FO<->Ethernet) and an end-point node that must be registered/provisioned to provide traffic security and timed slice upload access ...so the routers are usually are only available direct from the service provider.

But that doesn't mean you  can't disable some of it's features and add your own equipment after.

Two or more ways to go here:

1. Have the Internet Provider put the FiberHome router into so-called 'bridge' or 'bit-mode', then purchase an add-on Ethernet device to act as a router, or router with WiFi Access Point.

2. Keep the router as FiberHome as the main working router but disable the built-in WiFi. Then add your own WiFi Access Point to one of the LAN ports to provide wireless connectivity.  If you can't find a simple "Access Point", then look for a router that can either be configured as an Access Point (disable router functions) or one where the router function can be bypassed by connecting an Ethernet cable LAN to LAN.

Whatever you decide on doing, try to make sure you don't create a double-NAT environment (where multiple routers are enabled to provide one<>to<>many IP Network Address Translation service that prevent open ports from being created for user-to-user connections).

Another thing to consider it converting all your wireless connections to 802.11a,ac (5ghz) to take advantage of the higher download speed you're subscribed to. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RichCor said:

Yes, as muratremix says, you have to keep the 3BB provided FiberHome router, but you can disable the WiFi function on it and add-on a separate Ethernet box that gives you that function.

Fiber Optic is a 'shared service' and the router acts as a media converter (FO<->Ethernet) and an end-point node that must be registered/provisioned to provide traffic security and timed slice upload access ...so the routers are usually are only available direct from the service provider.

But that doesn't mean you  can't disable some of it's features and add your own equipment after.

1. Have the Internet Provider put the FiberHome router into so-called 'bridge' or 'bit-mode', then purchase an add-on Ethernet device to act as a router, or router with WiFi Access Point.

2. Keep the router as FiberHome as the main working router but disable the built-in WiFi. Then add your own WiFi Access Point to one of the LAN ports to provide wireless connectivity.  If you can't find a simple "Access Point", then look for a router that can either be configured as an Access Point (disable router functions) or one where the router function can be bypassed by connecting an Ethernet cable LAN to LAN.

Whatever you decide on doing, try to make sure you don't create a double-NAT environment (where multiple routers are enabled to provide one<>to<>many IP Network Address Translation service that prevent open ports from being created for user-to-user connections).

Another thing to consider it converting all your wireless connections to 802.11a,ac (5ghz) to take advantage of the higher download speed you're subscribed to. 

After you have the 3bb in bridge mode what do you have to do with the new router?  Connect it with a LAN cable?

11 hours ago, amvet said:
18 hours ago, RichCor said:

After you have the 3bb in bridge mode what do you have to do with the new router?  Connect it with a LAN cable?

If the original router is connected in so-called 'Bridge' or 'Bit Mode', then it no longer functions as -the- main router, but now just handles FO<->Ethernet conversion and physical-layer data decryption. 

You then connect an Ethernet cable from the LAN port of the main original router to the designated WAN port of the new replacement router and configure this box with all the necessary connection settings (provided by the Internet Service Provider) that the main original router previously used to authenticate and provide service.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a question.

I have the 3BB Homefiber router.

I would like to put the 3BB router in bridge mode (to handle the FO-Ethernet conversion) and connect a Ubiquitu Security gateway router to handle the 3BB authentication and become my DHCP router.

My other network stuff (Switch and wireless AP) is also from Ubiquiti.

I know that i need to get the password from 3BB but do they allow me to place the 3BB provided router in bridge mode?

I hear conflicting stories and i don't want to mess around in the router before i know if it is possible.

I'm really interested in other people's experience with this.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, merijn said:

I have a question.

I would like to put the 3BB router in bridge mode (to handle the FO-Ethernet conversion) and connect a Ubiquitu Security gateway router to handle the 3BB authentication and become my DHCP router.

I know that i need to get the password from 3BB but do they allow me to place the 3BB provided router in bridge mode?

I hear conflicting stories and i don't want to mess around in the router before i know if it is possible.

If you don't get a response on your question within a few days I'd suggest starting a NEW topic. Older topic, even with new replies, sometimes gets skipped especially if the old topic title doesn't entice enough people to take a second look. 

The primary method of putting a router into 'bridge' or 'bit mode' is to do it yourself *IF* the TWO router setup interfaces have the necessary option to support it and you know the procedure and have the configuration information on hand.  Sometimes it's straight forward (normal Ethernet config stuff), other times there are special interface requirements that need to be supported on the second router (VLAN ID, Username, Password, etc, etc.) in order for it to function as the now main router talking directly to the ISP.

If your consumer ISP issued router doesn't have the 'bridge' / 'bit mode' option in the setup interface then it should be simple to ask the ISP customer support line to place the router in that mode for you. Then you configure the second router as the main router as necessary.

Hopefully someone will come along with actual 3BB FiberHome experience to give you a rundown.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have 3bb Fiber.

Sorry if this have been said already but I just learned that changing the Wifi from B/G/N to just N or just G will make it much faster on some devices.

I think there must be some bugs in how some devices that are capable of G or N will still use B on this shitty router. But setting the router to only use G or N will make all my devices faster!

On my 3bb fiber router you need to login to the admin area and click Network -> Wlan settings -> Basic -> Network mode -> Change it from "802.11 b/g/n" to "802.11 g" or "802.11 n" 

(N is faster, but maybe not supported by some older devices)

Another great idea as already mentioned is to get a good triple band wifi router (expensive) and set it to access point mode. That can give you both 5ghz and 2.4ghz .. 5ghz is much less crowded (but can have issues penetrating walls).. You just plug that into the 3bb router and disable the wifi on the 3bb router...

Before buying a really expensive wifi access point / router that supports AC make sure your devices also supports AC or realize you will not reach those speeds. 

bye bye!

Edited by hobz

On 15/02/2018 at 4:27 PM, merijn said:

I have a question.

I got mine in bridge modus so for some people they allow it.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I got mine in bridge modus so for some people they allow it.

Where you able to get your 3BB fiber modem/router in bridge mode?

And how did you do this as i tried it and i'm not able to change it to bridge mode.

I don't know if they are doing this remotely or even allowing it.

5 minutes ago, merijn said:

Where you able to get your 3BB fiber modem/router in bridge mode?

And how did you do this as i tried it and i'm not able to change it to bridge mode.

I don't know if they are doing this remotely or even allowing it.

I did it a long time ago, but I don't recall them having to do anything. I just did it myself. Did you not see the youtube video in this topic. Its just a setting and then safe. It could be that they since then changed things. But it has workd for me for many years like this

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I did it a long time ago, but I don't recall them having to do anything. I just did it myself. Did you not see the youtube video in this topic. Its just a setting and then safe. It could be that they since then changed things. But it has workd for me for many years like this

When i go into the modem there is a option to change the modem to bridge mode but it doesn't allow me to safe it.

Therefore i guess that they have to do it remotely.

I tried to call them but had a hard time to explain to them what i wanted to do.

She insisted that the modem is fine and that i have to switch it off and on again. :-)

Just now, merijn said:

When i go into the modem there is a option to change the modem to bridge mode but it doesn't allow me to safe it.

Therefore i guess that they have to do it remotely.

I tried to call them but had a hard time to explain to them what i wanted to do.

She insisted that the modem is fine and that i have to switch it off and on again. :-)

Ah ok so you got that far, i was able to safe it maybe they changed things. Normally I find the English of the 3BB helpdesk quite good and I normally get sound answers. Maybe you should ask for a technician and try to have a Thai speaker with you to help..

If the OP is having repeated performance problems with his existing router, another thing to try is to contact 3BB support, explain the problem and ask for their techs to bring out a new/different router to test in your house, and see if that makes any difference/improvement.

I've done that in the past quite a few times with True, but fortunately, haven't yet had to tackle that kind of issue with my 3BB fiber.

I've never had any problems with my Huawei 3BB fiber router, but I've had recurring problems with 3BB fiber lines where some problem occurs outside up the line somewhere, and their techs don't do a proper job of making the fix/reconnections, and then have to keep calling them out until they finally get things restored back to normal.

If the OP is having WIFI problems but NOT Lan speed problems, then there also are a variety of settings in the existing router than can be looked at/changed, such as what wifi channel the router is broadcasting on, etc etc., what wifi protocols it's set for, B/G/N, etc.

Part of the challenge on these kinds of things is correctly narrowing down to just where the problem is occurring. Could be hardware issue in the router, could be router settings, could be interference from other wifi around you, could be the receiving devices you're connecting to, etc etc.  The fact your LAN speeds aren't a problem is a good sign.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If the OP is having repeated performance problems with his existing router, another thing to try is to contact 3BB support, explain the problem and ask for their techs to bring out a new/different router to test in your house, and see if that makes any difference/improvement.

I've done that in the past quite a few times with True, but fortunately, haven't yet had to tackle that kind of issue with my 3BB fiber.

I've never had any problems with my Huawei 3BB fiber router, but I've had recurring problems with 3BB fiber lines where some problem occurs outside up the line somewhere, and their techs don't do a proper job of making the fix/reconnections, and then have to keep calling them out until they finally get things restored back to normal.

If the OP is having WIFI problems but NOT Lan speed problems, then there also are a variety of settings in the existing router than can be looked at/changed, such as what wifi channel the router is broadcasting on, etc etc., what wifi protocols it's set for, B/G/N, etc.

Part of the challenge on these kinds of things is correctly narrowing down to just where the problem is occurring. Could be hardware issue in the router, could be router settings, could be interference from other wifi around you, could be the receiving devices you're connecting to, etc etc.  The fact your LAN speeds aren't a problem is a good sign.

Ok i will try to clarify my situation.

Currently i have the 3BB Modem/Router (fiberhome) with a TP-Link wireless access point connected to the router via LAN cable.

I switched off the fiberhome wireless AP as it of bad quality.

Now I installed a complete new network system from Ubiquiti (Unifi) with the following components. (USG router, 16 Switch, Cloud controller, Wireless AP)

The USG (Unifi Sucure Gateway) can act as my router and handle the ISP authentication. (so far i know)

Therefore i would like to put the 3BB modem in bridge mode so it only handles the fiber signal conversion and the USG is doing the ISP authentication and router DHCP for my network.

I prefer this over having 2 routers behind each other with DHCP enables. 

• Like 1

Part of the problem when you get into trying to mount that kind of a networking infrastructure is 3BB's obligation is only to give you fiber service to your home and a working fiber wifi router that they provide.

Everything else beyond that is your personal hardware, and they have no obligation (or probably expertise) to ensure that all that extra stuff works on top of their own 3BB service and equipment.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Part of the problem when you get into trying to mount that kind of a networking infrastructure is 3BB's obligation is only to give you fiber service to your home and a working fiber wifi router that they provide.

Everything else beyond that is your personal hardware, and they have no obligation (or probably expertise) to ensure that all that extra stuff works on top of their own 3BB service and equipment.

I know that but i only need the 3BB modem in bridge mode and the login information for my account.

In the other scenario i will keep the 3BB modem in normal mode with DHCP active and put the new outer as a second DHCP router with different network id connected to the LAN port of the 3BB router.

But i prefer off-course the first solution.

5 hours ago, merijn said:

But i prefer off-course the first solution.

Yeah, bridge mode is the ideal fix.

We have TOT fibre and whilst the tech was happy to set their router to bridge he did say he couldn't support us if there were problems.

The compromise was to set the TOT router to a different LAN subnet (192.168.10.254) and our own Asus router to a WAN IP of 192.168.10.2 fixed. Then put the Asus IP in the DMZ of the TOT router with a TOT LAN port connected to the Asus WAN port. Nearly as good as bridge, we can access our server from outside via a dynamic-DNS service (No-Ip).

Not perfect but all works well, maybe slightly slower than bridge but double NAT isn't a big issue to the DMZ.

20 hours ago, merijn said:

This effect has been reported with 3BB here, seems to be policy not to let DIYers mess with some settings.

34 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, bridge mode is the ideal fix.

We have TOT fibre and whilst the tech was happy to set their router to bridge he did say he couldn't support us if there were problems.

The compromise was to set the TOT router to a different LAN subnet (192.168.10.254) and our own Asus router to a WAN IP of 192.168.10.2 fixed. Then put the Asus IP in the DMZ of the TOT router with a TOT LAN port connected to the Asus WAN port. Nearly as good as bridge, we can access our server from outside via a dynamic-DNS service (No-Ip).

Not perfect but all works well, maybe slightly slower than bridge but double NAT isn't a big issue to the DMZ.

Interesting and probable workable for me.

At least in this way you still use 3BB support in case there is a issue with their router.

I on'y don't know if the 3BB fiber router supports DMZ.

Just as some bridge mode crossfeed, I'm not with 3BB but AIS Fibre.  AIS will set their provided router to bridge mode. It's just takes a phone call and within minutes to a few hours their router, which is a Hauwei HG8245G in my case, is set to bridge mode which they do remotely/from their end.   You can not do it from your end.

The AIS-provided router can not set to bridge mode on the customer end....must be done from the AIS end....just no visual settings in the router firmware menus allowing the customer to set it to bridge mode as least on the firmware for the AIS-provided Hauwei HG8245H.   May be different for 3BB provided routers.

What also must be done from the AIS end is the activation of IPv6 as IPv6 does not always come activated with an AIS Fibre account....it was not activated in my case.  Once again, it just takes phone call to AIS to get it activated.   I don't think 3BB has much IPv6 capability yet for its customers as I think 3BB is still upgrading their system for IPv6 capability for the typical retail customer.

In my case I wanted the AIS-provided HG8245H  router (a basic 2.4Ghz band only Wifi router) set to bridge mode so I could have my high-end ASUS 86U router assume total router duties for my home network as the ASUS 86U is a 2.4 & 5Ghz band router, has many more features/capabilities than the ISP-provide router, gets frequent firmware updates for better performance/security...etc...etc...etc.  Plus, I'm now in total control, for better or worst.

I've had this bridge mode setup since late last year....I think it was around Oct 17 I switched to a bridge mode setup.  When I made the call to request the bridge mode setup the rep said it would take up to 24 hours for the switch to occur (for me it took only around 30 minutes).  During that call the rep told me what my User ID and password was since I would need that for my router to be able to connect to the bridged AIS router....get my internet connection going again....the User ID and password where both my account account number.   Because once your router is set to bridge mode your internet connection will not work until you get your router setup to communicate with the ISP's router now in bridge mode.  The type of communication setup/link is different from the normal  non-bridged setup/link.   My Asus 86U automatically handled the connection/link setup to the AIS bridged router once I entered the User ID and password....my internet  connection was now back online.    Pretty painless...or at least my Asus 86U made it painless.

Have had zero problems with the setup...all my devices such as computers, smartphones/tablets, VOIP adapters,  NAS, Android boxes, etc. work fine, but it did make me learn more about the Asus AC86U firmware settings/capabilities to ensure I had a good understanding of it...how I can use it to better my home network...and how to avoid doing things that would kill my network.  Every time I do a firmware update of the  Asus 86U I keep my fingers crossed it all goes well (which it has so far after 3 or so updates) because if the update is not successful I could have a dead home network which means no internet to feed my computers, VOID devices, AIS Playboxes, Nvidia Shield android box, etc.  Oh, the horror!   I might even need to call AIS and request they take their router out of bridge mode so I can use it again for home router duties...and of course that would take a will to get done.

Before I had my bridge mode setup, if I totally screwed-up my Asus 86U settings to where it was not working worth a durn, I could instead just connect my devices to the ISP-provided router and continue on. But after AIS set their router to bridge mode you can no longer access its firmware menus...you can not make a LAN or Wifi connection to it...etc.  Because now it's setup to only send/convert a WAN signal via hardwire connection to your router which is now doing all the router duties/responsibilities....converting that WAN signal to a ethernet/Wifi signal usable by all your devices.

So before a person has their ISP-provided router set to bridge mode they need to ensure they competent with setup/use/settings of their router because once your ISP switches their router to bridge mode their router is pretty much just a signal converter/pass-thru device and the customer's router is then responsible for all router duties and responsibilities which the ISP can not or will not help you with other than maybe a little bit of guidance of initial setup such as telling your User ID and password which may be needed for the ISP bridged router to make the front door connection to your router.   

Summary: I expect it will take a call to your ISP to switch their provided router to bridge mode from their end...and once it's switched to bridge mode you need to truly understand your router because the ISP can not or will not be able to provide much help since you are no longer using their router to perform router duties.   I have no doubt ISPs prefer not to have their router set to bridge mode (but most will still do it) since X-amount of customers then have problems totally related to their personal router not working/setup properly and then the customers call the ISP for help, customers become dissatisfied, etc.   

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Pib said:

Just as some bridge mode crossfeed, I'm not with 3BB but AIS Fibre.  AIS will set their provided router to bridge mode. It's just takes a phone call and within minutes to a few hours their router, which is a Hauwei HG8245G in my case, is set to bridge mode which they do remotely/from their end.   You can not do it from your end.

The AIS-provided router can not set to bridge mode on the customer end....must be done from the AIS end....just no visual settings in the router firmware menus allowing the customer to set it to bridge mode as least on the firmware for the AIS-provided Hauwei HG8245H.   May be different for 3BB provided routers.

What also must be done from the AIS end is the activation of IPv6 as IPv6 does not always come activated with an AIS Fibre account....it was not activated in my case.  Once again, it just takes phone call to AIS to get it activated.   I don't think 3BB has much IPv6 capability yet for its customers as I think 3BB is still upgrading their system for IPv6 capability for the typical retail customer.

In my case I wanted the AIS-provided HG8245H  router (a basic 2.4Ghz band only Wifi router) set to bridge mode so I could have my high-end ASUS 86U router assume total router duties for my home network as the ASUS 86U is a 2.4 & 5Ghz band router, has many more features/capabilities than the ISP-provide router, gets frequent firmware updates for better performance/security...etc...etc...etc.  Plus, I'm now in total control, for better or worst.

I've had this bridge mode setup since late last year....I think it was around Oct 17 I switched to a bridge mode setup.  When I made the call to request the bridge mode setup the rep said it would take up to 24 hours for the switch to occur (for me it took only around 30 minutes).  During that call the rep told me what my User ID and password was since I would need that for my router to be able to connect to the bridged AIS router....get my internet connection going again....the User ID and password where both my account account number.   Because once your router is set to bridge mode your internet connection will not work until you get your router setup to communicate with the ISP's router now in bridge mode.  The type of communication setup/link is different from the normal  non-bridged setup/link.   My Asus 86U automatically handled the connection/link setup to the AIS bridged router once I entered the User ID and password....my internet  connection was now back online.    Pretty painless...or at least my Asus 86U made it painless.

Have had zero problems with the setup...all my devices such as computers, smartphones/tablets, VOIP adapters,  NAS, Android boxes, etc. work fine, but it did make me learn more about the Asus AC86U firmware settings/capabilities to ensure I had a good understanding of it...how I can use it to better my home network...and how to avoid doing things that would kill my network.  Every time I do a firmware update of the  Asus 86U I keep my fingers crossed it all goes well (which it has so far after 3 or so updates) because if the update is not successful I could have a dead home network which means no internet to feed my computers, VOID devices, AIS Playboxes, Nvidia Shield android box, etc.  Oh, the horror!   I might even need to call AIS and request they take their router out of bridge mode so I can use it again for home router duties...and of course that would take a will to get done.

Before I had my bridge mode setup, if I totally screwed-up my Asus 86U settings to where it was not working worth a durn, I could instead just connect my devices to the ISP-provided router and continue on. But after AIS set their router to bridge mode you can no longer access its firmware menus...you can not make a LAN or Wifi connection to it...etc.  Because now it's setup to only send/convert a WAN signal via hardwire connection to your router which is now doing all the router duties/responsibilities....converting that WAN signal to a ethernet/Wifi signal usable by all your devices.

So before a person has their ISP-provided router set to bridge mode they need to ensure they competent with setup/use/settings of their router because once your ISP switches their router to bridge mode their router is pretty much just a signal converter/pass-thru device and the customer's router is then responsible for all router duties and responsibilities which the ISP can not or will not help you with other than maybe a little bit of guidance of initial setup such as telling your User ID and password which may be needed for the ISP bridged router to make the front door connection to your router.   

Summary: I expect it will take a call to your ISP to switch their provided router to bridge mode from their end...and once it's switched to bridge mode you need to truly understand your router because the ISP can not or will not be able to provide much help since you are no longer using their router to perform router duties.   I have no doubt ISPs prefer not to have their router set to bridge mode (but most will still do it) since X-amount of customers then have problems totally related to their personal router not working/setup properly and then the customers call the ISP for help, customers become dissatisfied, etc.   

Thanks for the information.

For this reason i want to collect all the information before i ask 3BB to put the modem in bridge mode.

I'm also seriously thinking about keeping my 3BB modem in normal mode but with different ip range and connect my own router to the 3BB router via a DMZ port.

I only have to confirm that i don't get issues to reach my NAS drives and Security cameras via the internet.

I've seen in another thread that a user got an FO modem (huawei if i remember correctly) from 3BB so that will be the best solution but you have to buy another device.

here is the link to the post with a photo

Edited by MoD1977