Britain could still reverse Brexit, former minister Heseltine says

webfact

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Better to ally with Rees-Mogg opposer of abortions for rape/incest victims, no?

Your analogy is all apples and orangey. Better one would be if Mr Rees-Mogg married into money in the Co-operative Republic of Guyana, and decided the Guyanese were all fools and that even though they did not want to listen to him or his ridiculous notions, he, Mr. Rees-Mogg could tell them how to organize their countries affairs through launching exhorbitantly expensive frivolous legal suits that would clog up the courts, waste money that could be better spent elsewhere and generally making himself such a figure of hate and resentment of the poor Guyanese that he would need 24 hour bodyguards and protection from an already overstretched Guyanese police force. But then, Mr Rees-Mogg is not ruining the lives of the Guyanese, he is in Britain trying to win power to represent his constituents and voters. 

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Your analogy is all apples and orangey. Better one would be if Mr Rees-Mogg married into money in the Co-operative Republic of Guyana, and decided the Guyanese were all fools and that even though they did not want to listen to him or his ridiculous notions, he, Mr. Rees-Mogg could tell them how to organize their countries affairs through launching exhorbitantly expensive frivolous legal suits that would clog up the courts, waste money that could be better spent elsewhere and generally making himself such a figure of hate and resentment of the poor Guyanese that he would need 24 hour bodyguards and protection from an already overstretched Guyanese police force. But then, Mr Rees-Mogg is not ruining the lives of the Guyanese, he is in Britain trying to win power to represent his constituents and voters. 

Somebody? Anybody. Make sense of this?

I suspect that Osborne's obvious lie made quite a few (previously unsure) voters angry enough to vote 'leave'! 

Personally, although tending towards the "leave" camp I was undecided until shortly before I cast my vote ( I had a proxy vote and emailed my brother the night before). Several things swung me in the end. Osbornes very obvious lie was one of them.

15 hours ago, Orac said:

Appears to be someone claiming being born in a British colony is not British enough to express opinions about Great Britain.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm saying the public referendum which voted "leave" is more important than one jumped up Gina Miller no matter how entitled she feels.

2 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

I'm saying the public referendum which voted "leave" is more important than one jumped up Gina Miller no matter how entitled she feels.

That's what you're saying now. It doesn't explain why you presented the hypothetical case of Reese-Mogg taking  the Guyanese govt to court as somehow analagous to the case of Gina Miller taking the UK government to court. Obviously you were referring to the fact that she was not born in the UK, and other irrelevancies.

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

That's what you're saying now. It doesn't explain why you presented the hypothetical case of Reese-Mogg taking  the Guyanese govt to court as somehow analagous to the case of Gina Miller taking the UK government to court. Obviously you were referring to the fact that she was not born in the UK, and other irrelevancies.

Anyway don't you find it hilarious that 'Walter' Miller and her Project Fear backers geared themselves up for a second big confrontation with the government, with ambitions to bring the government down, only to be swatted away with a blithe comment about parliamentary procedure? Talk about having their chips p1ssed on :laugh:.

17 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Is there a court judgment on this? All I can find is a letter from Miller's lawyers and a confirmation from the government that it will follow parliamentary procedure at the appropriate time.

A court challenge to the DUP/ Conservative agreement as been lodged by other interested parties, claiming , it breaches impartiality as required under the Good Friday Agreement, and the Bribery Act

Just now, rockingrobin said:

A court challenge to the DUP/ Conservative agreement as been lodged by other interested parties, claiming , it breaches impartiality as required under the Good Friday Agreement, and the Bribery Act

Of course it has Robin. It's the never ending story.

On 9/11/2017 at 7:49 AM, pitrevie said:

Apparently we were never told what EEC membership meant in 1973 and in the referendum in 1975.

A common complaint from those who voted to remain in the EEC in 1975 is that they were hoodwinked

Enoch Powell, the maverick right wing Tory who had just become an Ulster Unionist MP, and left wing Labour cabinet minister Tony Benn - the loudest voices in the Out campaign - talked endlessly about it.

In the decisive debate on the European Communities Bill in 1972, Powell explained yet again that the real purpose of the “project” we were being asked to sign up to was to create a political government for Europe; and that our own elected Parliament had no right to subordinate itself in perpetuity to an unelected supranational body, which could impose on us laws not in our national interest.

Tony Benn

But we must recognise that the European Community has now set itself the objectives of developing a common foreign policy, a form of common nationality expressed through a common passport, a directly elected assembly and an economic and monetary union.

So you would have to be deaf dumb and blind not to have known the direction the EEC was heading in 1975, so please Brexiters no more of this we didn't know nonsense the two most prominent, vocal opponents of the EEC repeated it ad nauseum.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2016/03/29/no-britain-wasnt-lied-to-when-we-joined-the-eu-we-knew-what-we-w/

On and on and on. Why don't you quote what the 'leading' politicians of the day said? Like Heath? 

It is plain and obvious that some posters here and politicians are convinced that they can thwart Brexit. They have not accepted the referendum result and have the bizarre notion that if the EU continues with its stalling and basically preventing a good exit, then the British people will say "it is to difficult lets stay in the EU. I have one word to describe that thought. Deluded. The Heseltine's, Blairs, Millers and others who are trying to stop us leaving the EU are creating an opposite effect. You will see people buying British and shunning foreign products, if the EU continues with it's threats.

Over the year and a bit since the referendum result posters on here have gone for calling a second referendum to wanting every last bit of the detail to be published in advance but still with the deluded idea it won't happen.

On 9/11/2017 at 1:14 PM, chang50 said:

This persistent myth of 'just a trading block' gets trotted out time and time again.Goebbels would heartily approve.I may of only been 19 but I was aware we were voting for more than confirmation of membership of a trading block.WW2 was only 30 years finished and gradual closer political and economic ties to bind us all together was a noble and worthy project.Still is.

Bind us all together, like some kind of restraint.

31 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

It is plain and obvious that some posters here and politicians are convinced that they can thwart Brexit. They have not accepted the referendum result and have the bizarre notion that if the EU continues with its stalling and basically preventing a good exit, then the British people will say "it is to difficult lets stay in the EU. I have one word to describe that thought. Deluded. The Heseltine's, Blairs, Millers and others who are trying to stop us leaving the EU are creating an opposite effect. You will see people buying British and shunning foreign products, if the EU continues with it's threats.

Over the year and a bit since the referendum result posters on here have gone for calling a second referendum to wanting every last bit of the detail to be published in advance but still with the deluded idea it won't happen.

'You will see......' :crazy::cheesy:

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

'You will see......' :crazy::cheesy:

So I you think there will be another referendum or we won't exit the EU? I have this page logged and looking forward to you trying to talk your way out of that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the EU pulled out all the stops to keep the UK in their damaged and poisonous club but article 50 is enacted, so we are leaving. I can't see the UK applying to rejoin again.

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

Bind us all together, like some kind of restraint.

Yes one of the aims of the European project was to restrain.Restrain member countries from the sort of carnage that brutally disfigured the first half of the 20th century.

Of course there will always be some who refuse to learn the lessons of history and be doomed to repeat them..

Sterling is on the up which just proves that the initial loss would have almost been regained if Carney and his cronies hadn't reduced the interest rate. Interesting to see their decision tomorrow. Quarter point raise Sterling would steadily increase to its pre referendum levels, nothing to do with Brexit anymore, only Carneys shrouded between the lines statements, which no doubt he has readily prepared for Midday GMT tomorrow.

2 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

You mean like his 1972 Brussels speech

Or the article in the 1973 Illustrated London Gazette

No, I mean like Jan 1973 when he said on BBC TV that 'by signing the Treaty of Rome would lead to no essential loss of National Sovereignty'.

56 minutes ago, chang50 said:

Yes one of the aims of the European project was to restrain.Restrain member countries from the sort of carnage that brutally disfigured the first half of the 20th century.

Of course there will always be some who refuse to learn the lessons of history and be doomed to repeat them..

I meant the straight-jacket kind that restricts freedom and mobility.