The trials and tribulations of an organised guy.

Sorry to say but you missed out on the ''professional planning prevents piss-poor performance'' :

to discover Embassy moved some weeks ago to new site,    

only to learn that all applications now assessed at VFS Sukhumvit.

discovered the only one they can apparently use to track progress is the fee payment receipt number

Good thing there is Johnny to help out though

54 minutes ago, RoyDee said:

Undoubtedly the cops meant Manchester UNITED will be champs, not that 'other' shower :post-4641-1156694572:

I raise a glass to your stamina, old salt :smile:

As said in many many posts, the Police know f..k all. City will win!

Fear not your return. I recommend you continue the process and let someone in Korat pick up your House Registration or let the Ampour just hold it until you return. It will be a separate book with a yellow cover since you are not Thai. The bank will undoubtedly accept that as proof of residence in lieu of the embassy letter. The Yellow Tabien Baan as it is called along with your passport should be all you need to open an account in your name only (funds also of course.) The Yellow Tabien Baan will be handy anytime you need proof of residence such as for driver license, extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai, Non-Thai ID card, etc. Be sure you have registered your marriage at the Ampour and have the original certificate as well as registry form (computer generated document.) Enjoyed your story and hope all goes easier next visit to Korat.

• Like 1

I think this was the worst performance I have ever read here on ThaiVISA..  Suggest that you organize and plan like when you served in younger days... Half of all this crap you experienced was your own fault, completely your own fault..

Glegolo

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Fear not your return. I recommend you continue the process and let someone in Korat pick up your House Registration or let the Ampour just hold it until you return. It will be a separate book with a yellow cover since you are not Thai. The bank will undoubtedly accept that as proof of residence in lieu of the embassy letter. The Yellow Tabien Baan as it is called along with your passport should be all you need to open an account in your name only (funds also of course.) The Yellow Tabien Baan will be handy anytime you need proof of residence such as for driver license, extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai, Non-Thai ID card, etc. Be sure you have registered your marriage at the Ampour and have the original certificate as well as registry form (computer generated document.) Enjoyed your story and hope all goes easier next visit to Korat.

Thank you for the good advice, will follow it. Next mountain to climb is of course the driving livence once I have achieved present targets. 

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

A good sense of humor is essential when dealing with Thai bureaucracy. Luckily, it seems you have it, and successfully kept your cool: number one rule, as it keeps the officials on your side for next time. Hopefully, it will get easier.

Absolutely. The old Navy discussion which goes " flat statement on one side, followed by complete contradiction on the other, followed by increasingly loud mutual personal abuse" is entirely inappropriate in Thailand.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Sorry to say but you missed out on the ''professional planning prevents piss-poor performance'' :

to discover Embassy moved some weeks ago to new site,    

only to learn that all applications now assessed at VFS Sukhumvit.

discovered the only one they can apparently use to track progress is the fee payment receipt number

Good thing there is Johnny to help out though

You are correct. As you say, God bless Johnny!

4 hours ago, Sailor42 said:

Thank you for your helpful judgement and advice. Will try to learn from my incompetence, oh wise one.

Like we say in the army.... "tough love is the only love...." Learn from other peoples input, start to plan and organize yourself, and learn about the process BEFORE you go out on these roadtrips that leads to absolutely nowhere most often...

Glegolo

• Thanks 1

Good job you have a calm nature .I noticed when you had a large shopping list .....Quote ...I also bought a new air-conditioner, smart TV, vacuum cleaner, gas cooktop, gold ear-rings and necklace. And new Michelin tyres for the car! And smiled.

Was the gold on your original shopping list  or  to placate your good lady for the stress caused by a complete  lack of forward planning ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

the other uses i agree with, this one might be iffy, immig offices are looking for passports

Of course they are looking for a passport! But they also want proof of residence which is what I said the YT was used for. 

Others may disagree... But anytime I engage an official process such as yours, for the first time, I pay for a professional to assist me - typically a lawyer. It is simply not worth the grief to go it alone. Thai ladies are little more knowledgeable than the Farang, despite their confidence, so they are rarely any help. Once I have sorted the process for the first time, then I am happy to go it alone the following times. More so in your case, as you are not located in Bangkok, which, as you have discovered, can mean having to traverse great distances to correct a small error, misunderstanding, or change of official requirements or venue.

...yes, change your bank. I'm a 46 yr old Brit on a 6 month tourist visit & managed to open an account with Kasikorn Bank which I believe is 1 of only 3 banks who will open a bank account for a farang without a work permit or yellow Tabien Bahn.

Thailand can defeat the best efforts at organization, not that I would say this could be classed as a best effort.

The one that always baffles me is how it is possible on the road to need three or four attempts at obtaining directions, before one gets to the desired destination. It's set in stone that the first person asked for directions will be wrong.

At times like that, it's best to go with the flow and relax with a stiff Scotch afterwards.

When doing business at any Bank in Thailand try to find the District Head Branch.  The staff in local Branches often don't have the experience in dealing with more complex banking matters and may also short change you big time.  For example, the other day I attempted to withdraw $1,000 from my Visa and place it in my wife's account, something I had done on numerous occasions.  After trying 2 local Branches of the BKK Bank we drove over to the Head Branch where the transaction was completed without delay and with a 1,500 Bht increase on the amounts proposed by the local Branches.  A big lesson in Thai banking.

There has to be a better way to do things "everywhere".  I attempted to get a copy of my Birth Certificate via the Internet from a Government Office in a country that prides and promotes itself as an advanced Nation.  The absolute B.S. that I had to go through, trying to explain that I didn't have the exact documents they required because they weren't with me here, the ferrying back and forth and the threats to cancel the application, was bl..dy mind boggling.  I provided them with an Embassy certified copy of my Passport, a recent Police Clearance and several other Official papers - not good enough, your application is due to expire!!  When it comes to bureaucracy it's the same everywhere.  Bashing the Thai's for doing their job (as they see it) is futile, most of the time I have little or no trouble dealing with officials here.

I feel your frustration and hope it works out for you.