factory reset minix box

tethered goat

I have been blaming a lot of freezing problems on various iptv providers but i began to feel that the problem may be with my old minix neo x6.I was getting flawless streaming to my computer and phone so the problem seemed to be somewhere between the router and the tv. [ethernet] I thought i would give factory reset a go , maybe put some life back into the box.So did the reset and signed back in.One of the first tasks after that was Playstore.As i did not want all the apps i have on my phone downloaded to my box i unclicked the auto download choice  and proceeded. The Playstore started downloading , spinning circle on white background , but that was over an hour ago and it is still spinning, does anyone have any idea if this is normal, how long should it take ? Has anyone else reset a minix  box? Maybe time to buy a new one but i would have liked to solve the problem of the freezing before i spent money on a new one only for the picture to freeze again

My box has 5.3 GB of storage, {i cannot find a RAM measurement.} Before the factory reset i only had 800mb available, after the reset and having downloaded what i need i have 3.3 GB available.The freezing problem is solved and everything is running that bit better so for me it has been worthwhile.

19 hours ago, johng said:

Should be able to do 1080p with 128MB of video ram ?

Raspberry Pi model B+ has only 512MB total ram and can play 1080p

Raspberry runs on Linux, so uses much less memory than an Android OS. It also depends what other programs are installed since they all use some of the memory.

56 minutes ago, tethered goat said:

My box has 5.3 GB of storage, {i cannot find a RAM measurement.}

Storage ( ROM ) and RAM are 2 different things.

RAM is the working memory, and your box has 1GB of it.

http://minix.com.hk/en/products/neo-x6

Your box has 8Gb storage ( in real life numbers it is a bit less ) of which the Android OS has maybe 2Gb reserved, so if you had only 800Mb left that means you had either 4.5Gb of programs installed or plenty of files in your download folders.

It also depends what program you use to stream. If you use Kodi, it uses a lot of memory compared to a simple IPTV player.

If you use kodi you can click on the system info tab on the Kodi home screen, which will show you how much FREE RAM you have available.

On a box with your spec that will probably be around 200Mb before you open a stream. A stream or movie loads a buffer, which stores in your RAM, and thereby further decrease it.