Air Berlin cancels flights as pilots call in sick

Jonathan Fairfield

Air Berlin cancels flights as pilots call in sick

r1.JPG

BERLIN (Reuters) - Insolvent Air Berlin <AB1.DE> said it has cancelled around 70 flights so far on Tuesday, affecting both its own operations and flights it carries out for Lufthansa's <LHAG.DE> Eurowings, after pilots called in sick in unusually high numbers.

The cancellations come as a deadline approaches for investors to bid for the assets of Germany's second largest airline, with Lufthansa <LHAG.DE> seen in pole position to acquire large parts of its rival.

Departures information on Air Berlin's website showed flights cancelled from a range of German airports including Berlin Tegel, Duesseldorf, Hamburg and Cologne.

A spokesman for Eurowings, which leases 33 crewed planes from Air Berlin, said it also expected short-haul flight cancellations as a result of the sickness-related absences.

However, the budget carrier expects to carry out the majority of its 650 planned flights for today because it would take measures such as rebooking customers onto other flights or trains and using standby planes and crews.

TUIfly was also forced to cancel flights last year after many pilots called in sick, with their union saying staff were concerned that merger talks, since failed, could lead to job and pay cuts.

Representatives from pilots' union Vereinigung Cockpit were not immediately available for comment.

Air Berlin, Germany's second-largest airline, filed for bankruptcy protection last month after shareholder Etihad Airways withdrew funding following years of losses.

Bidders have until Sept. 15 to submit binding offers, with a decision possible as early as Sept. 21, three days before a German national election.

(Reporting by Victoria Bryan and Caroline Copley; Editing by Maria Sheahan and Louise Heavens)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-12

9 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Really...really....between the strikes at Lufthansa and now Air Berlin, seems that the EU golden goose, Germany, is on the decline....

So airline pilots strike, which means a country is on the decline :cheesy:

9 hours ago, observer90210 said:

well my dear fellow, social unrest is not good for the economy and scares off investors...and  no investment, = no good for economy...no rocket science here:sorry:

Look at these pictures and try not to break out in a sweat:

merc.jpg.07d2fff007e4a795c010550439a3b6a9.jpg

schnauzer.jpg.894720d483b15c3068368fd8a8ab2b8c.jpg

bratwurst.jpg.d856c3a104fb3308c3a87fa935d2acb7.jpg

There, that wasn't so bad was it?

Maybe next week we could work on "Talking to a German Person"?

Edited by Enoon

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

Look at these pictures and try not to break out in a sweat:

merc.jpg.07d2fff007e4a795c010550439a3b6a9.jpg

schnauzer.jpg.894720d483b15c3068368fd8a8ab2b8c.jpg

bratwurst.jpg.d856c3a104fb3308c3a87fa935d2acb7.jpg

There, that wasn't so bad was it?

Maybe next week we could work on "Talking to a German Person"?

What can I say to such lovely arguments....I'm just glad you put the Mercedes logo and not the VW logo (ahem! ahem!)

2 hours ago, mrdome said:

Observer, you almost have an opener for your stand up routine there. Keep practicing.

well if you are a cute busty german female (which I do doubt), I'm flattered that my opener opened you up a bit and I'll sure keep on the good work:cheesy:..Danke Schön!