airbnb, first experience not so good! beware

ryanhull

Hi all,

So I have been messing about with apps people recommend and what not, uber and grab I found great everytime I have used them, agoda app also etc,

Anyway thought I would give airbnb a shot as I fancied a month in Chang Mai with my son, so thought I would stay in a condo rather than a hotel plus save a bit of cash in the process as some offer up to 60% discount if you book a month in one... anyway I found a nice condo or what looked like a condo in the pictures, had all 6 good reviews etc and offered a 60% discount which made it really reasonable. I was under the impression everything was done through airbnb and no cash was paid in person etc so I paid with my card and thought that was nice and easy all paid up done.

Anyway the next day I got a message on the app from the 'condo owner' which really was a hotel not a condo as it was advertised (with monthly options)
I quote the message:
'To confirm booking thanks. Pls note need to pay 7000 bhat deposit and will pay for electric and water at our unit price from deposit. Can confirm soon'

Anyway I guess I was a bit of an idiot by this point having gone this far without doing some more homework onit all, so I then went on tripadvisor and agoda etc, and yeah it was a hotel and the reviews generally ok but you could tell it was a bit outdated on these 'real' pictures and the pictures they had up was probably from when it was built as it was the same same but different heh...

I replied anyway after reading the airbnb terms which state you should not pay any money outside of the system as its not covered and not allowed in short. So I responded stating as per airbnbs terms everything should be and has been paid through the system and any deposits should also be included in the bill or anything else such as cleaning.

(I looked on other condos and noticed some do add the deposit which stays with airbnb until you leave - thats fine and clear)

They replied saying I can cancel if I want but they do not offer a refund policy, so I just looked at the refund screen and airbnb would only refund me the airbnb booking fee, I think just under a 1000 bhat, the hotel would still get payment though. Anyway having read alot of stories about airbnb after, I noticed people stating airbnb are quite hard to get hold of to resolve such matters and you generally have to a. speak to a robot, b. speak to a user , c. if a user thinks its worthy hands it to the real airbnb staff who will decide whos in the right, luckily however I got a number for them and explained the property has messaged me asking for funds outside of the system albeit a cash deposit plus I wasnt aware nor does it state I have to pay cash for the electric and water at whatever rate they choose. The lady on the phone was great thankfully and understood they was in the wrong, I did tell her that my credit card would reverse the transaction if I really wanted them too but it would be best if they sorted it, anyway luckily she refunded me in full,

The hotel then had the cheek to message me saying 'thanks for waste our time'

This is probably quite rare and I should have done my homework before booking onit, but I thought I would give people a heads up. Plus any of you guys use airbnb? is it normal for you to pay a deposit outside of the system? Id consider rebooking if I didnt have to go through that again and I was paying in full upfront on the system? or is this standard for Thailand only? (I know its technically illegal in Thailand but then again so are drones and ecigs so we will push that to a side lol)

Cheers all and beware anyway

• Like 1

I've never used it in Thailand, but have used it probably 30+ times in other countries.  Haven't had any major issues and in fact have had some amazing experiences.  It's most useful in large expensive cities.  It is not normal to pay anything outside the Airbnb payment system and you should never do so.  I've had a look through the listings in Bangkok a couple of times and many of them seemed pretty dodgy.

Thanks for your reply, when you have used them... have you ever been asked to pay a deposit or electric outside of the system? I mean everything you paid on the system upfront included the lot? Do you just book or do you contact them first? agreed on the dodgy listings... having looked a bit more today, I noticed quite a modern house, full privrate house to yourself but a bit out in the sticks for a great rate... read the review which was a bit odd, something about students live here but have moved out for a while to earn money from it during studies??? then anyway didnt think much ofit and came accross another house simular, modern single house in a different location though, checked the description and it was a copy and paste about the students? didnt look like the sort of house a student would live in either with a western style kitchen?.... airbnb seem to need to update there system I think, seems all to easy to list up properties on the platform and make up your own rules. I get if you have a place you dont want any old idiot booking for one night and walking off with your tv/sofa etc but that deposit side should be set in stone and fully taken care of by airbnb in my view and massive warnings should be on the message system/all over the site to both hosts and guests no money outside the system becuase it isnt really that clear. I dont see how they are scamming as people paying through the system the money would never get released but it probably kicks in once youve booked in they message you asking for some kind of upfront deposit for the scam bit. Cheers

Indeed, simply refuse to pay any kind of deposit outside the AirBnB system. If the vendor insists on arrival, inform AirBnB and they will effect a full refund.

The AirBnB concept has gone too far. Taken over by rental agencies and similar commercial enterprise. Most places don't even offer a breakfast. Plus AirBnB fees are getting ridiculous and their disgusting 3% forex fee cash grab is just another step too far.

Agreed mate, problem is I only noticed when I got the message, I bet alot of people dont get that pre warning message and are told on arrival... which you know Thailand, it is all well and good standing your ground and refusing but theyll just give you the cold shoulder, if it was early on in the day youd be fine and you had time on your hands to sort this out on arrival it might be ok, thing is I will be driving with my son probably arriving late on wanting no hassle so it would have been bassicly a massive hassle then to inform airbnb, id have to check in during that time and then your going to have the hotel owners hassling/being generally angry with you plus maybe get thrown out if airbnb are not helping... I guess thats worst case scenario but I am really pleased I noticed now rather than later arriving with my lad and having to cough up un-expected costs.... silly thing is airbnb has a deposit system built in, so they could simply have added the 7000 as part of the booking process and I would have had no problem with that. I would have a problem paying electric and water though as that to me is generally the whole reason your using airbnb becuase you dont want to pay bills just like a hotel, imagine if you checked out of a hotel and they gave you an electric and water bill? lol

Report to Airbnb
These are scammers
7000 "cas" deposit would have been as good as gone

Hi, well I guess as airbnb refunded me over the phone so I would assume thats as good as reported or theyll be removing them? who knows... actually the place itself did seem like a fairly large/legit yet an outdated hotel so I assume I would have got the 7000 back minus the electric and water bill which for a month theyd probably hit you with 3000 off that... dont think they would outright steal it, but may find reasons to deduct from it as much as possible (scratch on the wall 2000 etc...), cheers

Edited by ryanhull
  • Sad 1

Plenty room for funny business when water/electic utilities are delivered at rates above the PEA tariff "condo rates". Maybe they would refund you 34 baht?

Never heard of a hotel or airbnb that charges for utilities anyway. Should always be included in the daily rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty room for funny business when water/electic utilities are delivered at rates above the PEA tariff "condo rates". Maybe they would refund you 34 baht?

Never heard of a hotel or airbnb that charges for utilities anyway. Should always be included in the daily rate.

Your right mate, a hotel certinally no chance anywhere in the world... airbnb is a bit of an odd one I as it doesnt seem properly governed, and yes your right the unit rates I'd imagine would be well over what they are paying which is fine if they had put it in the rates as you say.... stupid really as they just missed out on a months booking bassicly due to greedyness, amount of times Thais have lost my business just becuase they wanted to be sly, for me its the princible... bit like being conned on your bill at a resturant when you would have left more than the con in tips but end up correcting the bill and leaving 10 bhat!. Cheers

I have used airbnb many times but only once in Bangkok. It was only for 3 day stay so not a lot at risk.  I did not have  any problems.  My payment was via Airbnb system no extra asked for.  

I also use Trip advisor a fair bit always check out what Airbnb and TripAdvisor have on offer for the location I am looking at.

• Like 1

I've never used them before, but I have a 9 night reservation in Italy, for an apartment next month. I had paid in full and then I was contacted by the owner and said they (AIRBNB) forgot to charge 30 Euro cleaning fee. I responded no problem, but I looked closer at ad and they also mentioned any electric in excess of 15 euros, I would need to pay. So, I need to check the electric meter when I check-in and then when I checkout, if she adds an additional charge. She has agreed to pick me up at the airport & deliver me to a cruise ship at the end of the rental for 100 Euros, which is a good rate, so I'll pay her half for the airport and then the other half when she delivers me to the cruise ship. She seems to be an honest lady, so I'll go with flow and see what happens. It's still much cheaper than a hotel and I have a full kitchen and a  beautiful view of the Med.

Edited by tomwct
Add more detail.

One does need to check the fine print especially refund/cancelation policies. Sounds like this "hotel" is breaking the rules of AirBnB so you should complain to AirBnB about it. They usually respond within 24 hours. Good luck.

Oh I see you got your refund already. Good on ya.

Edited by RBOP

Thanks for the post OP. Good to know about this. It is obviously a fraudulent use of airbnb by various Hotels that is the problem here. and it hurts both airbnb and those who just want to make a little extra money by offering their condo or part of a condo or house on airbnb. airbnb would be wise to pay more attention to this problem.

• Like 1

I have used Airbnb both inside and outside Thailand.  No problems to report.   Even for odd night stop overs when passing through on road trips in Thailand it works well listing well organised and given a good review get some confidence it will 'work out'.   Can book and pay one button 'click' job done,  location loaded

into Google Map easy to find.   There should never be extra's to pay on top if this happens surely report it and Airbnb system will sort it out.    It works well from both sides - generally, you can cancel and get your money back with some notice - but you surely pay if you just 'no show'.    Sure most Thai listings for dominated by what are effectively hotels were in US & Europe it more nearly private accommodation listed.  

its a mix bag, I think you just got one of the bad apples.

But for those who use Airbnb, always delete your credit card from the app or online once you complete the booking. My card was charged over $200 for no reason, I only found out after my credit card statement came in. It was charged and promptly reverse the next day. I lost out around $14 due to currency exchange.

I contacted Airbnb, they would not tell me why it was charged or my card was used fraudulently. They said it is probably one of my family members or friend who used the card.  I told them I didn't even log in to my account for over 8 months and they can check that.  They say its private info and if I want to find out more, I will need to present them with a warrant so they can further disclose more info! I was like <deleted>, why is it even private for them? its my card and my account that was fraudulently used. That was the end, they would not credit me for my loss and ignore all my emails. I even demanded the customers services lady's full name, she wouldn't tell me and said she was the manager of the case and would not put me through anyone else.

Needless to say, they lost a customer who stays at hotels for 30 days per year over $14.

If you search online, this is not an isolated incident, it happens often that people's card get charged fraudulently.

Stay away from Airbnb is all I can say or always delete your card info.

Edited by mike324
  • Like 1

I dont see the problem. Air BNB is their to protect the customer and the landlord. The landlord doesn't even get paid until 24 hours after you have checked in! obviously to make sure  the room is the same as the pictures. If its not you get your money back.

If they want money for electricity and they haven't mentioned it in the advertisement then you can cancel.

Its very rare to get a dodgy booking mainly because air bnb hosts live and die via the references they receive from previous customers however their will always be bad apples just like when you stay in a hotel and its not as advertised etc.

As an air bnb host I have all 4,5 to 5 star reviews but let me tell you I have had Pig customers as well especially one particular Arab who lit up a smoke in front of me and I told him no smoking in the room but he took off before I could check him out and overflowing ash trays in every room ! Air BNB agreed to refund me 2000 baht for damages (from his credit card) and air con cleaning etc, condo stunk for weeks.

Edited by InMyShadow
  • Like 1

I have had mixed luck with airbnb (mostly good). I have rented some great places, and only had one that didn't meet or match the pictures (East cost of Costa Rica). In that one instance, they used old pictures and only had a couple of reviews. The caretakers at the place were outstanding and went out of their way to make up for it as best they could. I reviewed the place and gave it an honest review to help others. The host still gave me a positive review.

All the other rentals have been great and we have enjoyed the accommodation provided.

I read the AirBnB agreement through and through. Both the host and guest agreement. Never pay outside the AirBnB site, and report immediately if they ask you to.

Also, I have rented using AirBnb both in Phuket and Bangkok. I have another upcoming stay in Phuket using AirBnB in November.

I think with any travel you need to do your research. They is always going to be a scammer here and there.

I also looked into TripAdvisor but I didn't real like the agreements. My first attempt to use it in Phuket the Host wanted me to pay 10000 THB deposit in cash when I showed up, which is allowed on TripAdviser. I didn't like that idea. I wouldn't any recourse  to get it back.

Good luck and I glad to hear you got you money back.

The problem now with airbnb is that a lot of the places you want to book, i.e. Condos here in Chiang Mai and particulary Bangkok have strict rules against the owner renting their unit on a daily or weekly basis. In some cases if you are caugh out by the Homeowners Association or the Juristic Office you can be forced to vacate the unit. Of course the owner will not make mention of that, they are afterall Thai. In my own case twice last year when I asked the owner about this I was told to avoid having conversations with residents and for any problems deal with them directly. When pressed, they admitted they were not allowed by the Condo board to rent shortime and I got a full refund both times. I now avoid airbnb here in Thailand like the plague.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, idman said:

The problem now with airbnb is that a lot of the places you want to book, i.e. Condos here in Chiang Mai and particulary Bangkok have strict rules against the owner renting their unit on a daily or weekly basis. In some cases if you are caugh out by the Homeowners Association or the Juristic Office you can be forced to vacate the unit. Of course the owner will not make mention of that, they are afterall Thai. In my own case twice last year when I asked the owner about this I was told to avoid having conversations with residents and for any problems deal with them directly. When pressed, they admitted they were not allowed by the Condo board to rent shortime and I got a full refund both times. I now avoid airbnb here in Thailand like the plague.

And thats the way it should be. Our condo has strict rules ,monthly ownly and there was a thai arrested here recently when the neighbor complained about frequent guests next door and sex parties etc

It is illegal in Thailand to rent out condos for short term holidays etc. Do not do you could loose book a hotel. Short term rentals are a headache to residents and owners. Damages noise drinking. Major presure on facilties etcetera. . Also there is major problem for business and government. While condos are full of holiday makers hotels are empty.. no tax is paid and hotel workers loose their job and no tax is paid for local services. Don't book a residential condo in thailand.  You will be ejected..

6 hours ago, tomwct said:

I've never used them before, but I have a 9 night reservation in Italy, for an apartment next month. I had paid in full and then I was contacted by the owner and said they (AIRBNB) forgot to charge 30 Euro cleaning fee. I responded no problem, but I looked closer at ad and they also mentioned any electric in excess of 15 euros, I would need to pay. So, I need to check the electric meter when I check-in and then when I checkout, if she adds an additional charge. She has agreed to pick me up at the airport & deliver me to a cruise ship at the end of the rental for 100 Euros, which is a good rate, so I'll pay her half for the airport and then the other half when she delivers me to the cruise ship. She seems to be an honest lady, so I'll go with flow and see what happens. It's still much cheaper than a hotel and I have a full kitchen and a  beautiful view of the Med.

airbnb does not "forget" to charge anything.

If something has not been charged, then it is because the owner of the unit did not properly maintain his/her listing and is most likely trying to impose other dubious fees and charges

We use AirBnB exclusively whenever we travel to Europe/UK from Bangkok.  Better than hotels, less expensive than other options. We always choose locations with kitchens, washer and dryer, etc. to maximize the convenience factors.  I think we've booked over 35 stays ranging from 4 to 12 days each, in seven or eight countries over the past four years.  We have never been asked to pay outside the normal channels for "other" costs.  Always check the owner's cancellation policies which must conform to AirBnB standards.  If you ever experience a problem during check-in, contact AirBnB for immediate resolution including full refunds.

I've used airbnb many times in Thailand. Had a fantastic stay in a two bedroom apartment by Thaksin bridge overlooking the river one time. Best place I've stayed in. 50m swimming pool, infinity pool, lush gardens, and all for £50 a night.
Also had a great villa in Krabbi one time.
So much better value that's hotels in Thailand, just do your homework.

Recently used them to travel all over Europe on a roadtrip. Rotterdam, Bruges, Paris....
When you're traveling with a few people it makes a lot of sense. A two bedroom apartment in the heart of Paris for £100 a night. You won't find a hotel for that!

I've used AirBnB in Australia four times, three good experiences and one ordinary. All private homes. The problem in Thailand seems to be condos and hotels hopping on the bandwagon.

I've only ever used Agoda in South-East Asia. Hotels are so cheap here it's hardly worth the trouble to go via AirBNB, and I would question if there is any real cost saving.

2 hours ago, Kenscot said:

It is illegal in Thailand to rent out condos for short term holidays etc. Do not do you could loose book a hotel. Short term rentals are a headache to residents and owners. Damages noise drinking. Major presure on facilties etcetera. . Also there is major problem for business and government. While condos are full of holiday makers hotels are empty.. no tax is paid and hotel workers loose their job and no tax is paid for local services. Don't book a residential condo in thailand.  You will be ejected..

Yes, it is illegal. However, every agent in my condo does it and I've never seen or heard of anyone being ejected. I agree it's a pain in the butt; however, as a long-term tenant I don't see what I can do about it without shitting in my own nest.