Blessing

Mossfinn

Prompted from another thread, I remember my first visit to the home village many years ago.

At the end of the visit, the Father had us kneel down and he began to pray, he had a mug cupped in his hand at this time.

Then with no warning, he sprayed the water over us and began to pray again, this continued on another couple of occasions.

I was later told that this a blessing for a safe journey.

I think I brought the ceremony into disrepute, because after the first time I was a little surprised, after the second I was noticably chuckling and after the third I was laughing out loud.

No one batted an eyelid at my indiscretion.

Anyone else experienced this?

Good Luck

Moss

p.s Apologies if this has been brought up before.

>...mug cupped in his hand at this time. ....sprayed the water over us and began to pray again..

Yes, something similar but spat on, less gross than it sounds. This was carried out by most of the senior villagers, including the senior farang. Some months later one of the old ladies present that day died, it was considered good that we had received a blessing from her before she died. I was partly bemused, seen it up close a few times before, but because it meant something serious to those that organized the blessing it in turn meant something to me. Part of being accepted locally, it is such customs that binds people together.

Next time I think I will have to pay special attention, the day will come when I'm expected to give a blessing to someone younger.

>I think I brought the ceremony into disrepute, because after the first time I was a little

>surprised, after the second I was noticably chuckling and after the third I was laughing out loud.

>No one batted an eyelid at my indiscretion.

Some years ago when I was less aware of Thai custom, I was with a GF out in the wilds of Issan at her village. We had just eaten and people were milling around with plates, dogs and babies etc. While sitting on the typical bamboo table/seat I was presented with a breakfast sized bowl of warm milky water, it was offered in both hands by one of the brothers at waist level, the obvious thing to do was wash my hands in it. His expression :o suggested this was not right, it turned out this was some home brew rice wine/whiskey, but still tasted like washing up water.

>...mug cupped in his hand at this time. ....sprayed the water over us and began to pray again..

Yes, something similar but spat on, less gross than it sounds. This was carried out by most of the senior villagers, including the senior farang. Some months later one of the old ladies present that day died, it was considered good that we had received a blessing from her before she died. I was partly bemused, seen it up close a few times before, but because it meant something serious to those that organized the blessing it in turn meant something to me. Part of being accepted locally, it is such customs that binds people together.

Next time I think I will have to pay special attention, the day will come when I'm expected to give a blessing to someone younger.

>I think I brought the ceremony into disrepute, because after the first time I was a little

>surprised, after the second I was noticably chuckling and after the third I was laughing out loud.

>No one batted an eyelid at my indiscretion.

Some years ago when I was less aware of Thai custom, I was with a GF out in the wilds of Issan at her village. We had just eaten and people were milling around with plates, dogs and babies etc. While sitting on the typical bamboo table/seat I was presented with a breakfast sized bowl of warm milky water, it was offered in both hands by one of the brothers at waist level, the obvious thing to do was wash my hands in it. His expression :o suggested this was not right, it turned out this was some home brew rice wine/whiskey, but still tasted like washing up water.

Hi Cuban, thanks for reply,

It was indeed a case of being spat on but I decided to use the word spraying for the sake of Grossness, I should have been as specific as yourself. :D

As for the Rice Wine, great story, I wonder how many other guys have some stories to relate from mis-understandings.

Kinda reminds of one of the Kings of England and a saucer of milk, a cat and a table full of Foreign guests, but that is for another time.

Good Luck

Moss

The first time it happened to me, The monk dipped a handful of sticks (twigs) into the holy water and shook the water out into the kneeling crowd. Me, he dipped again and whapped me on the head with them a few times. Im still not sure if I was extra blessed or he was having a bit of fun with me.

When I leave an Isaan village after visiting my adopted Thai grandmother, she does the blessing thing also, but with a string tied to the wrist. It's considered a solemn honor and wish for good fortune.

I would, however, question the propriety of your bursting out laughing despite the fact none of the Thai "batted an eyelash." It wasn't because they didn't consider your reaction as rude--it's because of their ability to constrain their emotions* as you were apparently unable to do yourself. It probably appeared to them that you were taking something very precious and honorable in their eyes, and treating it with mockery. I wasn't there, of course, but this is how I read it, based on your description. Apologies if I misconstrued the situation.

*shock, dismay, offense, etc.

I would, however, question the propriety of your bursting out laughing despite the fact none of the Thai "batted an eyelash." It wasn't because they didn't consider your reaction as rude--it's because of their ability to constrain their emotions* as you were apparently unable to do yourself. It probably appeared to them that you were taking something very precious and honorable in their eyes, and treating it with mockery. I wasn't there, of course, but this is how I read it, based on your description. Apologies if I misconstrued the situation.

*shock, dismay, offense, etc.

C'mon TT, at least I was honest.

I have actually related this story to very respectful Thais who could speak English, they thought, my reaction was funny too.

It may well be taken as disrespectful, but as I had shown nothing but respect to all I had met, they obviously knew I was not an overall disrespectful kinda guy.

But to be taken wholly unawares of the situation and being a guy who tends to smile in adversity, I really couldn't help myself.

And yes I do think it is precious and honourable and now when it happens I am prepared and treat it as such.

I am sorry if you have taken what I consider to be a 'an eye opening experience', as disrespectful, as I try in most cases and in most instances to be as respectful as I poosibly can.

Good Luck

Moss

Granted, what matters is how they took it, not my third-hand analysis. No offense meant. :o

I would not worry much about it. Most Thai's understand that you are a farang and do not know what is right in that ( or most ) situation(s).

I am reminded that Japan has what's called a "Gaijin License:" An allowance made for uninitiated foreigners who might cause cultural gaffes in their midst. They over look it--for awhile. After a few months or years, the license wears out.

I would presume Thailand offers the same sort of privilege--and maybe the life of the "Farang license" is good for even a little longer! :D

Edited by toptuan

They do the same thing in Turkey for a "safe journey."

I remember leaving Istanbul for the first time and was wondering why my former mother-in-law had brought out a pitcher of water with her to the car. As we pulled away, she threw the water behind the car. Asked my ex what that was about and she said for us to have a "safe journey."

Granted, what matters is how they took it, not my third-hand analysis. No offense meant. :o

No offence taken, TT.

As I often follow your posts, when I happen to come across them, and have a certain amount of respect for what you say, I was a little perturbed, although I wouldn't go as far as to say upset, about your remarks.

But as I said, no offence taken.

Good Luck

Moss