Are people who use smart phones smarter?

amvet

It has been my experience that Heads of State and General officers and corporate movers and shakers all use smart phones.  Derelicts, homeless people and subsistence farmers don't use smart phones.

One has to be more intelligent to purchase the right smartphone and download the most appropriate applications to make it function at peak efficiency over a typical land line.  

Given the quasi computer nature of the average new smartphone one must now be computer literate to even use the phone. 

In general I think it is a fair assumption to make that smart phone users are brighter and better acclimated to today's technology than non smart phone users.  

Many women in Thailand it has been my experience will not give a second look to a fellow who does not posses an up to date smart phone.  (paid companions excepted)  

Think about the people you know who don't own smart phones?  Are they bright?

Edited by amvet

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, giddyup said:

There's already a topic running re smart phones, why start another?

That thread is in support of people who use smartphones are zombies.  When I disagreed I was accused of trying to take over the thread.  I thought it would be fair to leave the lunatic fringe to their own devices and ask a relevant question about having and using smart phones requires more intelligence than using antique phones with only a talk function.    

21 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

There is this bloke on TV, Amvet, he don't own one.
Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I don't own one.  I own a Samsung A4, Note 4, Note 8 and a Galaxy S5 and 7. I have two phone numbers with multiple sim cards so I can have the same number on more than one device. 

It has been my experience that Heads of State and General officers and corporate movers and shakers all use smart phones.  Derelicts, homeless people and subsistence farmers don't use smart phones.

One has to be more intelligent to purchase the right smartphone and download the most appropriate applications to make it function at peak efficiency over a typical land line.  

Given the quasi computer nature of the average new smartphone one must now be computer literate to even use the phone. 

In general I think it is a fair assumption to make that smart phone users are brighter and better acclimated to today's technology than non smart phone users.  

Many women in Thailand it has been my experience will not give a second look to a fellow who does not posses an up to date smart phone.  (paid companions excepted)  

Think about the people you know who don't own smart phones?  Are they bright?

Depends on what your definition of smart is. As you say the richer will have them the poorer less likely but that's just down to disposable income more than anything.
I'm not sure about Thai girls not wanting anyone without an up to date phone. If they do then it's because they associate it with money more than being smart.
I agree those with are more climatised to technology but often less streetwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have a couple of Android-type phones in Thailand that I use in case the internet line to my PC goes down or in case I go somewhere -- but I hardly ever go somewhere in Thailand long enough to need them.

Other than that I'm happy with my 2 NOKIA dumb phones.

Edited by JLCrab

So why do so many people have 20 - 30 odd thousand baht phones ?  never figured out what they do better.....

Yes services keep dropping for old phones so I had to upgrade to a Smart phone with 4G  a while ago, 'Lava' 4.5 screen cost under 2,600 baht,  has more functions than I would even need .....  The downside of these Smartphones are the battery life...  even not using need to be recharged every 2 days, my Partner has a more expensive Samsung, use for work as well and need charging every day + often in the day as well.........  My Ericsson T28 and T 29 both needed charging every 10 - 12 days..    

7 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I live in a remote village and know many people that would be considered quite unintelligent but intelligence seems to be no barrier to owning an operating a smart phone.  Although the totally illiterate people I know don't seem to have them, so the OP has a small point.

If they used the phone to gain literacy, then it would be considered smart.  In 1997, a study showed reading comprehension in the US went up due to the use of the Internet.  Sadly, most sites today inundate you with streaming now.  If you use it to chat and shop, it is not going to make you smart.  Smart or not depends on how you use the tool.  

Just heard a report today that within the last 5 years (coincidentally that is the first  time over 50% of Americans owned I phones) suicides have increased amoung younger people, depression and a sense of isolation have increased also and the desire to "hang out" with friends like going for a ride in a car, hanging out together in shopping malls, dancing or simply reading a book have virtually dissapeared.

Teachers say it is almost impossible to get a student to read more than a chapter to study for the following day's lessons (the same about as they read in an sms).

smart phone addicts ,spending more than 5 hours staring at their smart-phone ,are giving up to real life ,and real friends, and live in a imaginary world , with imaginary friends (some they never saw in real life).Worse are the selfie -addicts, they try to convince others how nice ,successful,....they think they are.True beauty doesn't need a picture and is mostly internal.

8 hours ago, ignis said:

So why do so many people have 20 - 30 odd thousand baht phones ?  never figured out what they do better.....

Yes services keep dropping for old phones so I had to upgrade to a Smart phone with 4G  a while ago, 'Lava' 4.5 screen cost under 2,600 baht,  has more functions than I would even need .....  The downside of these Smartphones are the battery life...  even not using need to be recharged every 2 days, my Partner has a more expensive Samsung, use for work as well and need charging every day + often in the day as well.........  My Ericsson T28 and T 29 both needed charging every 10 - 12 days..    

What they do better?  Waterproof, storage bigger, GPS and directions and weather, face, fingerprint and voice recognition for security, more sensors (speedometer, IR, bluetooth devices, heat and light,  book, games, better camera and controls, 4k screen, better detail and color, weight, charging systems, better microphone and speakers, better amplifiers, multitasking ability, computer operating systems, accessories available.  For example I can carry on three different conversations while racing my sailboat in a storm, navigate the boat, buy stocks and you would not hear any background noise. 

6 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Take their smart phone of them so they do not have access to a calculator and ask them to calculate something in their head, you will soon see how smart they are :smile:

I asked my AC technician to diagnose the problem with my unit and he took out his smartphone and communicated with the computer brain in my AC unit and had the answer and part in a minute.  Efficient, accurate and economic.  Days of using a calculator is about the same technology as an abacus both outdated and obsolete.  The computer scans a bar code and does all calculation necessary while deleting the item from inventory and placing an order for the replacement all by cellphone.  Who uses a calculator?  

6 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Some of the smartest people I know have no phone at all.

And personal anecdotal evidence tells me that more people are switching from 'smart' to ordinary phones or to no phone at all these days.

In 2015, 800 million people worldwide bought their first smartphones.

This year, they should be 600 million to do so, taking the global smartphone penetration rate over 50% for the first time.

In 2020, 6.6 billion people – or 80 percent of the world’s population (!) – will own a smartphone (see the graph below).

http://www.superception.fr/en/2016/01/31/in-2020-80-percent-of-people-in-the-world-will-have-a-smartphone/

smart phone.png

2 hours ago, lucjoker said:

smart phone addicts ,spending more than 5 hours staring at their smart-phone ,are giving up to real life ,and real friends, and live in a imaginary world , with imaginary friends (some they never saw in real life).Worse are the selfie -addicts, they try to convince others how nice ,successful,....they think they are.True beauty doesn't need a picture and is mostly internal.

I use a phone to read books.  I have a girlfriend who uses her phone to make money (she is a model and gets paid for letting people watch her on her smartphone).

My phone is always on and I watch my house, kids and dog. 

Just now, amvet said:

In 2015, 800 million people worldwide bought their first smartphones.

This year, they should be 600 million to do so, taking the global smartphone penetration rate over 50% for the first time.

In 2020, 6.6 billion people – or 80 percent of the world’s population (!) – will own a smartphone (see the graph below).

http://www.superception.fr/en/2016/01/31/in-2020-80-percent-of-people-in-the-world-will-have-a-smartphone/

smart phone.png

None of which has any bearing on my observation that more people are switching from smart to ordinary or to no phone at all. What that means, for those not smart enough to figure it out, is that while the masses are pouring into smart phones in increasing numbers, there is a small but growing minority of smart people who are switching off.

By the way, are you a smart phone salesman?

15 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Depends on what your definition of smart is. As you say the richer will have them the poorer less likely but that's just down to disposable income more than anything.
I'm not sure about Thai girls not wanting anyone without an up to date phone. If they do then it's because they associate it with money more than being smart.
I agree those with are more climatised to technology but often less streetwise.
Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think the more tech savvy the more street savvy.  The two today go hand in hand. 

4 minutes ago, amvet said:

I think the more tech savvy the more street savvy.  The two today go hand in hand. 

I would like to add that all of those people I know personally who have switched from smart to ordinary or no phone are highly tech savvy. Their deeper understanding of the insidious aspects of smart phones is one of the reasons. Another is that they feel more comfortable and better served by laptops and PC's (without telephones).

1 minute ago, Antonymous said:

I would like to add that all of those people I know personally who have switched from smart to ordinary or no phone are highly tech savvy. Their deeper understanding of the insidious aspects of smart phones is one of the reasons. Another is that they feel more comfortable and better served by laptops and PC's (without telephones).

I would like to add I don't know anyone who has switched from a smart phone to a dumb phone.  I know people who have purchased a dumb phone to go along with a smart phone because of weight and size.  I also know that 800 million people bought their first smartphone in 2015 and in 3 years 80 of the world's population will have a smartphone.  It's one reason dictators all over the world are running scared.  Information is freedom and smartphones mean information. 

Could one consider outstandingly "smart" those who flock up and camp all night at the door of the local iStore like a flock of geese, to be amongst the first to have the new iGizmo and shell out 1000 €uros?....or am I missing a smart point?

Could we consider particularly "smart" those who are gazing like zombies on their smartphones, while sitting on the stools of a brothel/bar waiting for their customers?...Or perhaps they are smart as they are whiling away time?

But on a personal touch, the day I need a smart phone or a Rolex to enforce my social status or to get laid, I would definately consult:partytime2:

Edited by observer90210

23 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Could one consider outstandingly "smart" those who flock up and camp all night at the door of the local iStore like a flock of geese, to be the amongst the first to have the new iGizmo and shell out 1000 €uros?....or am I missing a smart point?

Could we consider particularly "smart" those who are gazing like zombies on their smartphones, while sitting on the stools of a brothel/bar waiting for their customers?...Or perhaps they are smart as they are whiling away time?

But on a personal touch, the day I need a smart phone or a Rolex to enforce my social status or to get laid, I would definately consult:partytime2:

Perhaps it is the person not the place that you meant to point out? Photo of Pope with customers.

About waiting in line you may be missing the point.  People may wait in line to resell the item or buy it for someone else, who knows why.  Or they may be nuts.  Nutty people also buy smart phones.  Everybody buys smart phones except illiterate subsistence farmers with no money and three fellows on who post on Thaivisa.  

smartpope.png

Edited by amvet

On 9/13/2017 at 3:24 PM, amvet said:

It has been my experience that Heads of State and General officers and corporate movers and shakers all use smart phones.       In general I think it is a fair assumption to make that smart phone users are brighter and better acclimated to today's technology than non smart phone users.  

Probably a comparable percentage of those people you mentioned (adding in drug dealers and despotic heads of state) also have gold plated bathroom taps, so their success may be coincident with or attributable to the knobs they handle every day.