Are people who use smart phones smarter?

amvet

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

If one pays for a broadband connection in one's apartment for a laptop/PC internet connection and one has a wi-fi router then the monthly charge is exactly the same if one connects additional up additional wi-fi enabled devices eg a smartphone or the neighbour's whatever. No discount for dumb phone George. Or maybe you still go to the internet shop to make your emails so its all over your head anyway? (Is this like having a conversation with someone out of Last of The Summer Wine or what?)

I wouldn't know...tell me about having a conversation with someone out of Last of The Summer Wine or what.

I've never seen it but I believe it was popular with elderly viewers. Was it in colour or black and white?

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, amvet said:

At least 23000 spots for free wifi in Bangkok and thousands all over Thailand.  Come visit Thailand some time.  A lot of us here have a wife and a couple of girlfriends.  

I have 3bb fiber optical at home for my computer and that also provides 4 LAN connections (for the Smart TV and wife's computers) and wifi anywhere in the house for the same price as computer hook up alone.   

Yesterday I was at the hospital for my cholesterol check and the hospital provides free wi fi  while I waited for the results of the tests.

A lot of us here have a wife and a couple of girlfriends. .....and have sex with our smart phones. 

2 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

You think anything in Thailand is free? About the only thing free (for you) is airconditioning in shopping malls unless you actually buy something. Everything else, one way or another, is being paid for by you or another customer.

You aren't very business savvy are you.

Would you remove the cost of rent, lighting, air conditioning  and wifi/internet connection from a business costing if you ran a foot massage place? Only charge for the massage and absorb the rest? . Trust me you are paying for it in the total cost of the service.

You wouldn't be in business long.

Now that is really dumb.

I pay for my optical cable to play high definition games on my new high tech gaming computer.  So for me the wi fi is free.  There is free wifi all over Thailand and apps to find it and connect your smartphone.  Anyone who comes over to my house can use my wifi for free.  This is not brain surgery to understand the concept of free wifi. 

Just now, tryasimight said:

You think anything in Thailand is free? About the only thing free (for you) is airconditioning in shopping malls unless you actually buy something. Everything else, one way or another, is being paid for by you or another customer.

You aren't very business savvy are you.

Would you remove the cost of rent, lighting, air conditioning  and wifi/internet connection from a business costing if you ran a foot massage place? Only charge for the massage and absorb the rest? . Trust me you are paying for it in the total cost of the service.

You wouldn't be in business long.

Now that is really dumb.

We are not talking about business owners or total costs or running that business. What we are talking about is that with 2 individuals sitting in the same cafe, ordering the same coffee item on the menu, one of the customers having a dumbphone and the other a smartphone, the available wi-fi is no extra charge to the smartphone user. See if you can run past that one with your pre-Ladybird economics.

4 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

A lot of us here have a wife and a couple of girlfriends. .....and have sex with our smart phones. 

Smart phones have replaced beer bars and brothels and men who traffic and prey on women as the ladies can meet gentlemen directly without having to bother with a middle man.  Efficient, economic and contributes to the independence of women.

34 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

AI, dear.

Oh yes I see AI in action all of the time. I was looking at the thread on airconditioning. Up popped an advert for an industrial boiler?  Seems AI has some way to go.

However this thread is about smart phones not AI.

Perhaps start your own thread on AI....I'd be a willing contributor.

43 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

For sure the dumb one would have been really dumb in Miami recently.

Or perhaps anywhere in the USA?

Don't they have mass media coverage in Miami?

Even in Australia we have evolved into using the radio and television for storm warnings.

Seems the US has a long, long way to go.

As an aside, we had a very significant storm called Cyclone Yasi a few years ago (look that up on your smart phone) . The first thing to fail was the power system and then after a couple of days the mobile phone and landlines failed. 

Didn't bother me too much as I am prepared for such eventualities.

I do wonder how the slaves to phones would handle it....no comms for a week.

My god...they may even have to talk to their wife and perhaps even learn the names of the small people who seem to always be around them!

Edited by tryasimight

20 hours ago, amvet said:

Allow me to express my opinion.  The question, "Is it raining."  Valid answer, "Of course it's raining you idiot, look outside."  Non valid answer, "You don't have enough sense to know if it's raining."  You see the difference.  Both are insults but only one is on topic. 

A weak analogy, I expected more from you. Also, check the settings on your smart device, it failed to notify you that you’re missing a few Question Marks.

Let me express my opinion: The question, “What do you think about that man?” Valid answer, “He’s obviously intelligent, but his overwhelming arrogance and condescending demeanor render him useless for productive discussion.” Another valid answer, “He’s highly intelligent, and his humble attitude facilitates both pleasant and meaningful conversation.” You see the inference?

And as for remaining on topic, once somebody claims they got drunk and witnessed a riot between pink elephants and ladyboys while being smuggled across the border by a Hilltribe, things are bound to go a bit sideways.

49 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Searching for and evaluating information is a given. Using that as an excuse not to undertake the research is really dumb.

Where did I say don't look for information? Using the term research is a little presumptuous in this context. Googling might be more applicable for 99% of users.

And please stop insinuating I am dumb.

At my desk right now....have 2 laptops in front of me, bth being used as well as three 'smar't phones.

Wow does that make me three times as smart as the the person who only has one 'smart' phone

As I said before there are no smart phones...they are just phones that have developed in line with the technology of the day.

The term smart phone is an advertising gimmick to fool the gullible into purchasing, 'upgrading' or changing brands.

And it has worked wonderfully.

Edited by tryasimight

7 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

A weak analogy, I expected more from you. Also, check the settings on your smart device, it failed to notify you that you’re missing a few Question Marks.

Let me express my opinion: The question, “What do you think about that man?” Valid answer, “He’s obviously intelligent, but his overwhelming arrogance and condescending demeanor render him useless for productive discussion.” Another valid answer, “He’s highly intelligent, and his humble attitude facilitates both pleasant and meaningful conversation.” You see the inference?

And as for remaining on topic, once somebody claims they got drunk and witnessed a riot between pink elephants and ladyboys while being smuggled across the border by a Hilltribe, things are bound to go a bit sideways.

Unless you quote me please stop lying about what I have posted.  Use the quote function instead of lies.  I said nothing about "a riot between pink elephants and ladyboys while being smuggled across the border by a Hilltribe"  That is a defamatory lie. 

42 minutes ago, amvet said:

My daughter looked out the window and said, "Dad, looks like a nice day outside but it's a good thing I looked at the weather app so I know there is a hurricane coming."  Was my daughter dumb?  I wonder if some dumb sailor said the same thing about not checking and resetting the barometer? 

I have no idea if your daughter is dumb or not, but if the only way you know if a hurricane is coming is by using a mobile phone then I fear for your future, and I don't think it will be particularly smart.

Dumb sailor....you have a lot to learn.....why don't you google Polynesian navigators or even Christopher Columbus (on your mobile phone). You might learn something about dumb sailors.

20 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Or perhaps anywhere in the USA?

Don't they have mass media coverage in Miami?

Even in Australia we have evolved into using the radio and television for storm warnings.

Seems the US has a long, long way to go.

As an aside, we had a very significant storm called Cyclone Yasi a few years ago (look that up on your smart phone) . The first thing to fail was the power system and then after a couple of days the mobile phone and landlines failed. 

Didn't bother me too much as I am prepared for such eventualities.

I do wonder how the slaves to phones would handle it....no comms for a week.

My god...they may even have to talk to their wife and perhaps even learn the names of the small people who seem to always be around them!

The question was, "If it was smarter to check a weather app or look out the window for a weather forecast."  It is obviously smarter to check a weather app even in Australia and the mobile phone can be easily programmed to give weather warnings.  Did you get it yet?  The question was between looking out the window or checking a smart phone app.  The weather service and USA government advised people to check Facebook for further information about the hurricane as the information covered was more comprehensive than available on radio or TV.  Also radio and TV is available on your smartphone and is more convenient than lugging around a radio and TV set if one is not at home. 

9 minutes ago, amvet said:

Unless you quote me please stop lying about what I have posted.  Use the quote function instead of lies.  I said nothing about "a riot between pink elephants and ladyboys while being smuggled across the border by a Hilltribe"  That is a defamatory lie. 

Sorry, I left out the part about you having a stroke while all this was going on.

48 minutes ago, amvet said:

My phone is a toy.  My car is a toy.  My sailboat is a toy.  My computer is a toy (I just finished building a gaming computer).  You sound like the dour Scot that was married to my last girlfriend. 

????

What on earth are you talking about...dour...Scot. I've never had the displeasure of meeting your last girlfriend. I expect you go through a few with your attitude.

The more I follow this thread the more I become convinced that I was right.

Smart phone users are not smarter. They try and convince me of the opposite but I have seen no evidence of this so far.

There is nothing particularly smart about buying a phone and downloading some free apps, or heaven forbid, actually paying 99 cents for an app made by a young man in India (he is the smart one....not the purchaser)and then using said apps.

It's basic stuff...kids can do it.

I fail to see smart phone users being any smarter than the average population.

Edited by tryasimight

Just now, tryasimight said:

I have no idea if your daughter is dumb or not, but if the only way you know if a hurricane is coming is by using a mobile phone then I fear for your future, and I don't think it will be particularly smart.

Dumb sailor....you have a lot to learn.....why don't you google Polynesian navigators or even Christopher Columbus (on your mobile phone). You might learn something about dumb sailors.

The barometer and clock and many other advances made modern seafaring possible.  You may want to check British prizes for longitude.  Hurricanes have been far more deadly and caused much more damage in the recent past because people did not have much advance warning and the modern technological systems including smart phones that have prevented major loss of life and property.

8 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Sorry, I left out the part about you having a stroke while all this was going on.

Another lie.  Use the quote function.  I can't respond except to call you a liar.  Prove me wrong.  Quote where I wrote I had a stroke during a riot between ladyboys and pink elephants. 

You are a good example of what is wrong with forums.  You can't participate in a discussion so you attack the poster rather than discussing the topic in an attempt to derail or have the thread closed.

Use the quote function if you expect me to respond to you in the future.

Edited by amvet

5 minutes ago, amvet said:

Another lie.  Use the quote function.  I can't respond except to call you a liar.  Prove me wrong.  Quote where I wrote I had a stroke during a riot between ladyboys and pink elephants. 

Grow some skin. You call people stupid, archaic, nutters, and dish out plenty of abuse to those that disagree with you, but you can't take it when it comes back in your direction.

49 minutes ago, amvet said:

I pay for my optical cable to play high definition games on my new high tech gaming computer.  So for me the wi fi is free.  There is free wifi all over Thailand and apps to find it and connect your smartphone.  Anyone who comes over to my house can use my wifi for free.  This is not brain surgery to understand the concept of free wifi. 

Apparently it is.....nothing is free. 

Where does the power come from for the free wifi? How is that power produced? There is pollution involved somewhere along the line even if you use renewable power sources.

Nothing is free.......surprising your phone couldn't tell you that.

I love the terminology you use....most people would say 'play games on my computer'. But no, it's got to be 'high definition games on my new high tech gaming computer'.

Its ok - NPD is quite common. My brother suffers from it. He told me recently that he had given his son 'his classic vinyl collection' when what he really meant was he gave his son some old records.

Just now, ColeBOzbourne said:

Grow some skin. You call people stupid, archaic, nutters, and dish out plenty of abuse to those that disagree with you, but you can't take it when it comes back in your direction.

Liar.  Use the quote function.

54 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

We are not talking about business owners or total costs or running that business. What we are talking about is that with 2 individuals sitting in the same cafe, ordering the same coffee item on the menu, one of the customers having a dumbphone and the other a smartphone, the available wi-fi is no extra charge to the smartphone user. See if you can run past that one with your pre-Ladybird economics.

You have substituted the original scenario for another to support you falseassertions.In this case both customers are paying for the wifi....it's included in the price of their coffee.

I guess the only thing smart is that the 'smart' phone user is being subsidised by everyone else not using the wifi.

I doubt if the 'smart' phone user would be aware that there was another customer in the cafe.

Can you please explain pre-Ladybird economics? I have neither the time nor will to google the term.

Thanks so much.

1 minute ago, tryasimight said:

Apparently it is.....nothing is free. 

Where does the power come from for the free wifi? How is that power produced? There is pollution involved somewhere along the line even if you use renewable power sources.

Nothing is free.......surprising your phone couldn't tell you that.

I love the terminology you use....most people would say 'play games on my computer'. But no, it's got to be 'high definition games on my new high tech gaming computer'.

Its ok - NPD is quite common. My brother suffers from it. He told me recently that he had given his son 'his classic vinyl collection' when what he really meant was he gave his son some old records.

WiFi is free for the user all across Thailand as the user is not required to pay for the power.  Power may be green or not as it's beyond the consumers reach to determine that.  It takes much more expertise to play modern HD games and they are a different genre than the games of a few years ago.  I doubt if you have ever seen one as only few high tech computers can play them at reasonable frames per second to make them playable and view able.   Download 3D Mark and see if you can watch it. 

56 minutes ago, amvet said:

Smart phones have replaced beer bars and brothels and men who traffic and prey on women as the ladies can meet gentlemen directly without having to bother with a middle man.  Efficient, economic and contributes to the independence of women.

Ah I see your true outlook on life emerging.

Sad that the only place you could ever meet women was in a beer bar or brothel.

Most normal men don't need to do this. I met my wife in a shopping centre.

The bit about trafficking and preying on women is a bit creepy and a more than a little disturbing. 

Each to his own I guess.

30 minutes ago, amvet said:

The barometer and clock and many other advances made modern seafaring possible.  You may want to check British prizes for longitude.  Hurricanes have been far more deadly and caused much more damage in the recent past because people did not have much advance warning and the modern technological systems including smart phones that have prevented major loss of life and property.

You called the sailor dumb...not me.

Using apps on a phone is convenient for sure (I use weather apps, Forex apps, Line, translation apps etc etc)......but does it make the user smarter (remember the OP question)...I think not.

Edit to add....I have thousands of music files as well as videos that I can view if I so desire.....but again that is convenience only...nothing particularly smart about it.

Edited by tryasimight

4 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Ah I see your true outlook on life emerging.

Sad that the only place you could ever meet women was in a beer bar or brothel.

Most normal men don't need to do this. I met my wife in a shopping centre.

The bit about trafficking and preying on women is a bit creepy and a more than a little disturbing.

Each to his own I guess.

I wrote, "Smart phones have replaced beer bars and brothels and men who traffic and prey on women as the ladies can meet gentlemen directly without having to bother with a middle man.  Efficient, economic and contributes to the independence of women."

Smart phones have been a boon to woman's independence and safety.  I met my wife at an engineering conference.  So? Does that make women who frequent shopping centers or engineer conferences better than others? 

11 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

You called the sailor dumb...not me.

Using apps on a phone is convenient for sure (I use weather apps, Forex apps, Line, translation apps etc etc)......but does it make the user smarter (remember the OP question)...I think not.

Edit to add....I have thousands of music files as well as videos that I can view if I so desire.....but again that is convenience only...nothing particularly smart about it.

I don't think you realize the technical expertise it takes to store thousands of files on a smart phone and play them as it takes technical know how to use the systems that make survival during a storm safer than it was 50 years ago.  Using Forex, Line and translation apps has made you smarter than those who don't have that skill. 

I wrote the sailor would be dumb if he didn't check a barometer given it was available. 

Edited by amvet

12 minutes ago, amvet said:

WiFi is free for the user all across Thailand as the user is not required to pay for the power.  Power may be green or not as it's beyond the consumers reach to determine that.  It takes much more expertise to play modern HD games and they are a different genre than the games of a few years ago.  I doubt if you have ever seen one as only few high tech computers can play them at reasonable frames per second to make them playable and view able.   Download 3D Mark and see if you can watch it. 

I had no desire to play computer games in the 1970's and have no desire to do so now. I prefer the real world to fantasy but that's just me.

If your choice is computer games....go for it. I saw a channel called EGG on tv in Myamnar last night. All about teams playing computer games...quite interesting for about 5 minutes. The even have a team of commentators describing the tactics and each players skill levels, in much the same way football is broadcast on tv. Personally I just saw them as pimple faced kids with no real social life whose only sexual experience was from porn on their smart phones. Felt quite sad for them.

I'd rather play Monopoly with my grandchildren.....it's great to see them develop skills in handling money, decision making and consequences and understanding rather than carpal tunnel syndrome.

After that they go and ride their motorbikes - this is real life to me.

11 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

I had no desire to play computer games in the 1970's and have no desire to do so now. I prefer the real world to fantasy but that's just me.

If your choice is computer games....go for it. I saw a channel called EGG on tv in Myamnar last night. All about teams playing computer games...quite interesting for about 5 minutes. The even have a team of commentators describing the tactics and each players skill levels, in much the same way football is broadcast on tv. Personally I just saw them as pimple faced kids with no real social life whose only sexual experience was from porn on their smart phones. Felt quite sad for them.

I'd rather play Monopoly with my grandchildren.....it's great to see them develop skills in handling money, decision making and consequences and understanding rather than carpal tunnel syndrome.

After that they go and ride their motorbikes - this is real life to me.

I like the new HD games because they are very close to reality as in a movie except you control the action and can be involved in the story.  It's is called interactive fiction.  No longer will children be passive screens for reading and learning they can interact with the characters of the book be it a textbook or novel and it takes experiences like monopoly or Agatha Christie detective novels to a whole new dimension involving children in the story is a far better way to learn than the passive techniques that were available a couple of years ago.

History becomes a live experience where the children can participate instead of dry memorizing of facts and dates.  It is an exciting new field in education.  You think games and I think interactive learning experience. 

Think of the advances in training when every pilot can have unlimited time in a real life aircraft simulator instead of the limited sessions of the past.

My new computer does virtual reality so I can get inside the game or program.  For example I am standing inside of my windows 10 screen now as I type this and all the Icons are around me to be manipulated with my hands.

Edited by amvet

9 minutes ago, amvet said:

I don't think you realize the technical expertise it takes to store thousands of files on a smart phone and play them as it takes technical know how to use the systems that make survival during a storm safer than it was 50 years ago.  Using Forex, Line and translation apps has made you smarter than those who don't have that skill. 

I most certainly do understand the tech required.....been working with this stuff most of my life.

The smart people are the ones who invent and develop the tech....not the end user.

It's quite interesting, I have found, that the more high tech something is, the dumber it needs to be to gain market penetration.

Really high end stuff is for the world of the nerds and will never be in the general public domain and consequently will never be commercial.

I read somewhere years ago that MS Word had something like 50 million lines of code. Yet it sells well because 'dumb' people can use it.

Education has given me a certain level of 'smartness' .This has been enhanced by applying that education in real life working situations, problem solving, idea generation etc.

I don't think that has been enhanced by using phone apps.

I respectfully disagree with you on this point.