Are people who use smart phones smarter?

amvet

22 minutes ago, amvet said:

I wrote, "Smart phones have replaced beer bars and brothels and men who traffic and prey on women as the ladies can meet gentlemen directly without having to bother with a middle man.  Efficient, economic and contributes to the independence of women."

Smart phones have been a boon to woman's independence and safety.  I met my wife at an engineering conference.  So? Does that make women who frequent shopping centers or engineer conferences better than others? 

Not at all.

I'm an engineer and I go shopping and also to conferences. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I have known a University professor who was late to work one day....he got a flat tyre and didn't know how to change it. I had a friend who has a Phd in mech eng. If you asked him the time he would look at his watch , wait for about 10 seconds, and then tell you. I asked why he did this. His answer was his watch was 2 hrs and 35 mins fast....and he didn't know how to set it to the correct time...it took him 10 seconds to work out the real time.

Neither of them were dumb...far from it, they were leaders in their field of expertise....but neither were they smart 100% of the time.

I guess they probably do not have smart phones...but its been a few years since I have seen them.

I have a friend who is a plumber....he has made money from dealing with sh!t that most people can only dream of. Is he smart or dumb?

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, amvet said:

I like the new HD games because they are very close to reality as in a movie except you control the action and can be involved in the story.  It's is called interactive fiction.  No longer will children be passive screens for reading and learning they can interact with the characters of the book be it a textbook or novel and it takes experiences like monopoly or Agatha Christie detective novels to a whole new dimension involving children in the story is a far better way to learn than the passive techniques that were available a couple of years ago.

History becomes a live experience where the children can participate instead of dry memorizing of facts and dates.  It is an exciting new field in education.  You think games and I think interactive learning experience. 

Think of the advances in training when every pilot can have unlimited time in a real life aircraft simulator instead of the limited sessions of the past.

My new computer does virtual reality so I can get inside the game or program.  For example I am standing inside of my windows 10 screen now as I type this and all the Icons are around me to be manipulated with my hands.

Seem to drifting off topic somewhat, but i don't mind if you don't (you were the OP I think)

The world of computing is developing at an exponential rate, no doubt about it, and young kids of today will live in a very different world than we do now. Whether that will be for the better or not remains to be seen.

You only have to walk into a primary school to see tech in action interactive 'whiteboards' and desks...all wonderful stuff.

Unfortunately as the tech increases, the number of jobs overall will decrease putting people into financial stress. I have to admit my field of work has been a big contributor to this.

Listening to some of the futurists talking about AI is both fascinating and concerning. We may become a hybrid or extinct or worse...slaves.

7 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Not at all.

I'm an engineer and I go shopping and also to conferences. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I have known a University professor who was late to work one day....he got a flat tyre and didn't know how to change it. I had a friend who has a Phd in mech eng. If you asked him the time he would look at his watch , wait for about 10 seconds, and then tell you. I asked why he did this. His answer was his watch was 2 hrs and 35 mins fast....and he didn't know how to set it to the correct time...it took him 10 seconds to work out the real time.

Neither of them were dumb...far from it, they were leaders in their field of expertise....but neither were they smart 100% of the time.

I guess they probably do not have smart phones...but its been a few years since I have seen them.

I have a friend who is a plumber....he has made money from dealing with sh!t that most people can only dream of. Is he smart or dumb?

It is difficult trying to prove a point using anecdotal evidence.  I spent yesterday at the hospital (physical and tests normal) all the doctors used at least one if not 3 smart phones and the janitorial staff didn't.  While I was there I surprised my wife and dog by talking to them on my smart cameras at home.  It takes a bit of brainpower to set up a security system on a smart phone I can also conference call with my wife and doctor as she likes to speak to him in Thai and that's not the easiest thing in the world to do correctly. 

If you went out and randomly picked 10 people with smart phones in Thailand and 10 people without smart phones and gave them intelligence tests I think most people would be willing to bet money the folks with smart phones would be smarter.

15 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

I have known a University professor who was late to work one day....he got a flat tyre and didn't know how to change it.

Reminds me of an old joke where a guy gets a flat tire just outside the fence of an insane asylum. A group of patients gather inside the fence to watch him change the tire. While putting on the spare he accidently knocks all the lug nuts down a sewer drain and they disappear. He has no idea what to do. One of the patients speaks up and asks why he doesn't just go to each of his other tires and remove one lug nut, they will stay on just fine if only missing one. Use the three lug nuts to hold on the spare while driving slowly to the nearest auto shop and buy a new set of lug nuts. The driver asks the patient how he figured it out. The patient says he's in the asylum because he's crazy, not because he's stupid.

5 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Seem to drifting off topic somewhat, but i don't mind if you don't (you were the OP I think)

The world of computing is developing at an exponential rate, no doubt about it, and young kids of today will live in a very different world than we do now. Whether that will be for the better or not remains to be seen.

You only have to walk into a primary school to see tech in action interactive 'whiteboards' and desks...all wonderful stuff.

Unfortunately as the tech increases, the number of jobs overall will decrease putting people into financial stress. I have to admit my field of work has been a big contributor to this.

Listening to some of the futurists talking about AI is both fascinating and concerning. We may become a hybrid or extinct or worse...slaves.

I was a student of Marshall McLuhan so this is really kind of old hat to me.  He had an up and down reputation all of his life.  Societies have always been shaped more by the nature of the media by which men communicate than by the content of the communication.

In this instance the media is the smart phone and interactive communication.  It's a done deal.  Resistance is futile. 

14 minutes ago, amvet said:

<snip>

If you went out and randomly picked 10 people with smart phones in Thailand and 10 people without smart phones and gave them intelligence tests I think most people would be willing to bet money the folks with smart phones would be smarter.

If you randomly picked out 10 people without smartphones in the same proximity to picking out 10 people with smartphones, a good chunk of the 10 people without smartphones would likely consist of persons who had but then lost their smartphone.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/study-reveals-americans-lost-30-billion-of-mobile-phones-last-year/

16 minutes ago, amvet said:

It is difficult trying to prove a point using anecdotal evidence.  I spent yesterday at the hospital (physical and tests normal) all the doctors used at least one if not 3 smart phones and the janitorial staff didn't.  While I was there I surprised my wife and dog by talking to them on my smart cameras at home.  It takes a bit of brainpower to set up a security system on a smart phone I can also conference call with my wife and doctor as she likes to speak to him in Thai and that's not the easiest thing in the world to do correctly. 

I know a bar girl in Soi Nana, who left school at 8, can neither read nor write Thai nor English, proudly show me her multiple camera and microphone security set up in her home in Khon Kaen on her phone. Is she smart..that would depend on what the definition of smart is.....I don't know..... but she is certainly not dumb.

11 minutes ago, amvet said:

I was a student of Marshall McLuhan so this is really kind of old hat to me.  He had an up and down reputation all of his life.  Societies have always been shaped more by the nature of the media by which men communicate than by the content of the communication.

In this instance the media is the smart phone and interactive communication.  It's a done deal.  Resistance is futile. 

I don't think anyone is resisting the march of technology...far from it most people are embracing it.

But getting (again) back to the original question....are smart phone users smarter....I am not convinced this is the case.

Perhaps on face value they may appear to be smarter compared to people 30 or 40 years ago due to access to information...but does the simple fact of using a smart phone make you smarter compared to people who don't use one......sorry still not convinced. People 30 or 40 years ago were probably smarter than those 100 years ago.....that is the human way.

Pretty well anything a phone can do can be done on a tablet, laptop, notebook or desktop pc.

If the question was more general like does using a pc/laptop.....phone etc make you smarter then I'd lean towards yes.

But limiting the option to a smartphone.....nope.

9 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

I don't think anyone is resisting the march of technology...far from it most people are embracing it.

But getting (again) back to the original question....are smart phone users smarter....I am not convinced this is the case.

Perhaps on face value they may appear to be smarter compared to people 30 or 40 years ago due to access to information...but does the simple fact of using a smart phone make you smarter compared to people who don't use one......sorry still not convinced. People 30 or 40 years ago were probably smarter than those 100 years ago.....that is the human way.

Pretty well anything a phone can do can be done on a tablet, laptop, notebook or desktop pc.

If the question was more general like does using a pc/laptop.....phone etc make you smarter then I'd lean towards yes.

But limiting the option to a smartphone.....nope.

The question was are people who use smartphones smarter.  Not does smartphone use make you smarter. 

Is the photo below a tablet or a smartphone?

Note 8 book.jpg

On 2017-09-13 at 2:32 PM, amvet said:

I don't own one.  I own a Samsung A4, Note 4, Note 8 and a Galaxy S5 and 7. I have two phone numbers with multiple sim cards so I can have the same number on more than one device. 

Oh dear! That wasn´t too bright. :clap2:Why in the world would somebody want to put the same phonenumber in different phones? :crazy: Can only answer one time, right? :shock1:

In regard to your title question: Does it grow apples on the moon? I guess both you and my return question has answered a big no no. :cheesy:

21 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Oh dear! That wasn´t too bright. :clap2:Why in the world would somebody want to put the same phonenumber in different phones? :crazy: Can only answer one time, right? :shock1:

In regard to your title question: Does it grow apples on the moon? I guess both you and my return question has answered a big no no. :cheesy:

Can only answer one time?  That has nothing to do with it.  Remember this conversation is about smart phones.  There are many reasons one would want to have two phone numbers for data transmission and communication. Multiple sims means you don't have to transfer sim cards which can be a problem on the move.  You only have to dial *100# and the device you want is activated.  Maybe you should register for a smartphone 101 course.

I was reading the one thread that you started and I'd work on your "charming and polite" stuff a bit if the above post is any example. 

Edited by amvet

1 hour ago, amvet said:

Can only answer one time?  That has nothing to do with it.  Remember this conversation is about smart phones.  There are many reasons one would want to have two phone numbers for data transmission and communication. Multiple sims means you don't have to transfer sim cards which can be a problem on the move.  You only have to dial *100# and the device you want is activated.  Maybe you should register for a smartphone 101 course.

I was reading the one thread that you started and I'd work on your "charming and polite" stuff a bit if the above post is any example. 

Must be quite smart to have one device then, and just don´t have to bother about niether moving or activating anything, right?

19 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Must be quite smart to have one device then, and just don´t have to bother about niether moving or activating anything, right?

Not what I wrote.  I wrote, " You only have to dial *100# and the device you want is activated."  Re read your post. 

It is quite handy.  You can answer two numbers with one device or download different things with each device or give people different phone numbers depending on business or subject they are interested in.  You can share your internet with up to 5 devices.  A lot of people with active social lives do it.

multi sim.png

Edited by amvet

33 minutes ago, amvet said:

Not what I wrote.  I wrote, " You only have to dial *100# and the device you want is activated."  Re read your post. 

It is quite handy.  You can answer two numbers with one device or download different things with each device or give people different phone numbers depending on business or subject they are interested in.  You can share your internet with up to 5 devices.  A lot of people with active social lives do it.

multi sim.png

Opps! oppss! opsss! This is what you said.

On 2017-09-13 at 2:32 PM, amvet said:

I don't own one.  I own a Samsung A4, Note 4, Note 8 and a Galaxy S5 and 7. I have two phone numbers with multiple sim cards so I can have the same number on more than one device. 

Aren´t you stating that you can have the same number on more than one device??? Mean that you have like 3 phones with the same number. Wouldn´t it be more simple with only one with same number?

I do understand that one phone can have more sim-slots. Okey, one phone can have more than one number at the same time. I have that to, but are using a very smart phone. It can actually have standby on 2 or 3 sim at the same time, and I can choose which one I want to use when I use another service like e-mail and web. 

But, serioulsy?? 2 or 3 phones with the same number??? That sounds more foolish than smart. 

Regarding active social lifes. Even if I know a lot about Internet, marketing, SEO and web development on computers as well as on smart phones. I prefer to have my social life IRL, due to that the pure meaning of social disappears in the virtual world. So yes I have an active social life too, only that I choose to talk to real people and not sending text messages. I really rekommend it. More people should try.

9 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Opps! oppss! opsss! This is what you said.

On 2017-09-13 at 2:32 PM, amvet said:

Aren´t you stating that you can have the same number on more than one device??? Mean that you have like 3 phones with the same number. Wouldn´t it be more simple with only one with same number?

I do understand that one phone can have more sim-slots. Okey, one phone can have more than one number at the same time. I have that to, but are using a very smart phone. It can actually have standby on 2 or 3 sim at the same time, and I can choose which one I want to use when I use another service like e-mail and web. 

But, serioulsy?? 2 or 3 phones with the same number??? That sounds more foolish than smart. 

Regarding active social lifes. Even if I know a lot about Internet, marketing, SEO and web development on computers as well as on smart phones. I prefer to have my social life IRL, due to that the pure meaning of social disappears in the virtual world. So yes I have an active social life too, only that I choose to talk to real people and not sending text messages. I really rekommend it. More people should try.

Not two slots with different sims.  You can have up to 5 devices with the same number but only one can be on at a time.  The advantage is not having to change sim cards as mine are of different sizes it makes it much easier not to have to take the phone apart to remove and replace sims with adapters.  Real people send real messages I don't get your concern.  If you could make a real sounding robot click baiter that would quite an accomplishment worth billions. 

I have different devices that do different things and I have different launchers that do different things.  Buying the phone is only the first small step in customizing it for my lifestyle and preferences.  I use the Nova Prime launcher as it does many things I like but not on all my devices

12 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Well I guess if you were stupid enough to go out with people you don't like that might work.

Have you never gone out with people you have not met before?  Business or friends of a relative?  Do you screen every contact you have before you agree to let them buy you dinner or a drink?  Why would you call me stupid for doing something 99% of humanity does on a regular basis? 

Edited by amvet

3 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Not for a long time. I would call you stupid for getting yourself into a situation where you would have to gracefully or un-gracefully excuse yourself when for 24 pages now you have been telling everyone how smart you are.

I guess you have never been to a Thai Visa get together. 

10 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Absolutely not.

You're smarter than I thought you were.  I'd go because I'm curious but I would also text my partner to make a graceful exit as opposed to whispering and looking foolish.   I'd also text my partner if I wanted to discuss personal information that was not for public consumption like her health or financial matters and a myriad of other things that couples would want private. 

Edited by amvet

I'm not smart. My brother's son is a PhD in Computer Science. On the faculty of a large university. Regularly published in IEEE Cyber-security Journals. About 30 years old. He's smart.

His mother (my brother's ex-wife) thought I would be a bad influence on him. Look how poorly he turned out.

BTW to the above kicking your sig-other under the table always used to work. But from what I read now it seems you are rude enough to want to type out long text messages on personal matters to your partner while at the table with people that you have never met before. How crass.

And just to note if I was at the table with you while you were sending repeated text messages, I would tell you to put the f***king phone down or I am leaving.

Edited by JLCrab

1 minute ago, Get Real said:

ÖÖÖh! Real sounding robot click baiter. You lost me there. What should it say?

Countries and political parties and/or advertisers use click baiters to promote an idea or party or spread fake nor real news.  They pay people to write the posts that reflect their ideas.  If you could figure out how to automate the interaction function with a robot algorithm indistinguishable from a real person you could make billions.   

6 hours ago, tryasimight said:

No, we won't be slaves. We will just be superfluous to requirement, unless rich enough or clever enough, which eliminates 90% of the world's population.

Unfortunately, the people that should have been addressing the situation have either ignored it or were to stupid to see it coming, and it's probably too late now.

I pity those that are children now as they will be the ones to suffer.

Seems that there are now only about 5 people posting, but it's all quite interesting, since it evolved from "yes they do" and "no they don't"

When "smart phones" evolve to the extent I don't have to actually do anything other than tell it what I want, I might buy a cheap model. Otherwise I have no need of one and all the excitement about the hundreds of "aps" leaves me even more determined to NOT get involved. It's like the music things that play 100,000 tracks- no one will ever listen to all of them, so what is the point. I have about 50 I loaded from my CD collection, and rarely get all the way through.

Re the OP, nothing in the 23 pages I've read convinces me that they make anyone smarter.

1 hour ago, amvet said:

Countries and political parties and/or advertisers use click baiters to promote an idea or party or spread fake nor real news.  They pay people to write the posts that reflect their ideas.  If you could figure out how to automate the interaction function with a robot algorithm indistinguishable from a real person you could make billions.   

Okey! Still sounding in text, only that it´s more credible like coming from a real person. I got scared for a while there. :laugh:

Edited by Get Real

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No, we won't be slaves. We will just be superfluous to requirement, unless rich enough or clever enough, which eliminates 90% of the world's population.

Unfortunately, the people that should have been addressing the situation have either ignored it or were to stupid to see it coming, and it's probably too late now.

I pity those that are children now as they will be the ones to suffer.

Seems that there are now only about 5 people posting, but it's all quite interesting, since it evolved from "yes they do" and "no they don't"

When "smart phones" evolve to the extent I don't have to actually do anything other than tell it what I want, I might buy a cheap model. Otherwise I have no need of one and all the excitement about the hundreds of "aps" leaves me even more determined to NOT get involved. It's like the music things that play 100,000 tracks- no one will ever listen to all of them, so what is the point. I have about 50 I loaded from my CD collection, and rarely get all the way through.

Re the OP, nothing in the 23 pages I've read convinces me that they make anyone smarter.

I tell my smartphone who to call or what apps I want it to load and an app called Deezer chooses music that I like.  It has really exposed me to some things I really like that I had never heard before. 

The topic was not that using smartphones makes one smarter but that people who own smartphones are smarter than those that don't.

I think using a smart phone is good mental exercise in my case because I'm involved in interactive fiction and writing teaching programs.  80 days is fun and is the story of  Phileas Fogg that you can change depending on how you react to the various situations.  Children can play games and learn English and make critical decisions that effect the outcome of the game.  I believe it is the future because it is a technology they are familiar with and they can go at their own pace. 

Smart phones are also fun.  It is technological fun appealing to those not afraid to learn a new skill.  I spend many hours learning how to use a new program and feel a sense of accomplishment when I master it.  It is getting more exciting every  day with more memory and faster computers and better phones.  Virtual reality is here and you don't have to look at a screen you can get inside it.