Windows Xp Sold At Pantip Can't Be Updated

frenchFARANGbkk

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last I checked original Windows XP is quite more expensive in Thailand than the US. Now, why does Microsoft do that? They could offer real windows in poorer countries like Thailand for a deeply discounted price (perhaps a Thailand only version), runs huge ad campaigns explaining the benefits of being legal on this, and over time change the culture of copy countries like Thailand over a generation, and ultimately, make much more money.

If your friend thought he was buying legit software he can take it back and demand a refund.

If not you can do one of three things:

1. With a credit card you can buy a legit license key at the Genuine Advantage site.

2. Buy a certified copy of the software.

3. Download an easy to use linux distribution like Ubuntu for free and use that.

Please tell your friend to do one of the above before his computer becomes a worm infested spambot due to not being updated.

The last I checked original Windows XP is quite more expensive in Thailand than the US. Now, why does Microsoft do that? They could offer real windows in poorer countries like Thailand for a deeply discounted price (perhaps a Thailand only version), runs huge ad campaigns explaining the benefits of being legal on this, and over time change the culture of copy countries like Thailand over a generation, and ultimately, make much more money.

It's been done.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presski...er-edition/map/

But how do you compete against free or $3 pirate versions?

It's been done.

Isn't that some kind of XP Lite?

A good idea, but I was talking about the full version, and the way they could compete is massive advertising which explains why copies for operating system software are much more inferior than the real version ... which given the update issues, isn't that hard to explain.

Using copy Windows is like buying an expensive car (your computer) and putting cooking oil in your gas tank.

Edited by Jingthing

The problem is that people keep thieving these $3 copies and Microsoft has quite rightly cut them off from updates. If it was a price thing, linux would be on most Thai computers. The fact that it is on so many shows there are people willing to do the honest thing out there. The rest are either too lazy to learn to use linux (easy) or too dishonest to care.

Of course when you confront them it's all Microsoft's fault because ________________ (insert excuse for stealing here). :o

It's been done.

Isn't that some kind of XP Lite?

A good idea, but I was talking about the full version, and the way they could compete is massive advertising which explains why copies for operating system software are much more inferior than the real version ... which given the update issues, isn't that hard to explain.

Using copy Windows is like buying an expensive car (your computer) and putting cooking oil in your gas tank.

Who told u this? Software are not video tapes. Once you make a copy, its as good as original, coz what they do at Microsoft as well, i.e. using the copies of original.

Do you have any proof for your revelation? :o

It's even better .... there's every month a new copy of Windows XP (pack 2) with all the security updates and the new WGA (to fool Microsoft). No download necessary

The latest version is January 2007 (out yesterday) ... 100 baht at Pantip.

Moreover, if you buy an original game, you probably have to keep the CD/DVD in the drive to be able to play it ... the copies come usual with a crack or an another system to avoid this.

Copies inferior to originals ... bull!

Edited by sniffdog

Once you make a copy, its as good as original, coz what they do at Microsoft as well, i.e. using the copies of original.

With unique license keys and authentication to make sure pirated copies don't get free support updates and downloads, so no they aren't as good as the original. If you don't understand the program it's best you don't give unqualified guesses as advice.

The benefits are sometimes better, not the program. If you read careful, you do get the updates ... on a CD! Every month ... But even if the benefits are better, you just buy a new update of a certain program for a couple of baht at Pantip.

Who cares about updates if you have to pay a multiple for an original program?

================================================================================

=

If you don't understand the program it's best you don't give unqualified guesses as advice.

================================================================================

=

You're right, so keep your advice to yourself next time, cdnvic! :o

Edited by sniffdog

so every month you are going to buy the new CD at 100 baht and update or re-install the software? take that with your time to go and get it, time spent installing etc etc is it worth it when for a couple of thousand baht more you can get genuine?

The benefits are sometimes better, not the program. If you read careful, you do get the updates ... on a CD! Every month ... But even if the benefits are better, you just buy a new update of a certain program for a couple of baht at Pantip.

Who cares about updates if you have to pay a multiple for an original program?

=

If you don't understand the program it's best you don't give unqualified guesses as advice.

=

You're right, so keep your advice to yourself next time, cdnvic! :o

I'm sorry if I didn't advise someone how to steal something. Maybe you could post your address since you find it so acceptable. I need a new fridge, and maybe a DVD player for the condo.

Moreover, if you buy an original game, you probably have to keep the CD/DVD in the drive to be able to play it ... the copies come usual with a crack or an another system to avoid this.

There is a program (freeware! :o ) that lets you emulate a CD/DVD drive to overcome this problem. Its been around for a while.

You don't get the point ..... The discussion was that an original is better than a copy .... not how to 'steal'. And you attacked someone who thought

the copy was better.

BTW Don't you have a couple of 1,000 baht to buy these things yourself?

Also, Muppet, that wasn't the discussion. Think about it ...

the question was can you get a cheap version at Pantip that can be updated online - what else was to have been assumed from this? or maybe i am missing something?

"do they sell somewhere (at Pantip?) a cheap windows XP that can be updated online"

You don't get the point ..... The discussion was that an original is better than a copy .... not how to 'steal'. And you attacked someone who thought

the copy was better.

My point was that your post sounded like a bunch of excuses for theft, not a bunch of reasons.

Have a drink and relax, mate. You are a bundle of nerves. :o

the copy was better.

A copy of Windows IS NOT as good because it won't update due to there not being a unique license key. Now run along and play, the grownups are talking here. No need for your chatter.

So, un-updated Windows become infested with bots and viruses and spread them all over the Internet a lot faster than legitimate Windows users update their machines.

The OP friend can try Windiz Update or Autopatcher, btw. I've just found that I need 45MB worth of updates. My Windows is legit but the autoupdates are turned off to save bandwidth

Or he can buy the latest copy with the latest updates - he doesn't need to re-install Windows, in-place upgrade takes only a few minutes and doesn't delete anything. I wish I could do that as my OEM version of Windows does not allow it and I miss on all those woderful tools they put in the latest Windows, like Bootvis and Cleartype.

These can be downloaded with Autopatcher, I believe.

So, un-updated Windows become infested with bots and viruses and spread them all over the Internet a lot faster than legitimate Windows users update their machines.

The OP friend can try Windiz Update or Autopatcher, btw. I've just found that I need 45MB worth of updates. My Windows is legit but the autoupdates are turned off to save bandwidth

Or he can buy the latest copy with the latest updates - he doesn't need to re-install Windows, in-place upgrade takes only a few minutes and doesn't delete anything. I wish I could do that as my OEM version of Windows does not allow it and I miss on all those woderful tools they put in the latest Windows, like Bootvis and Cleartype.

What's wrong with just buying a legit copy of Windows?

Can you find a XP version that pass the "legit check" at Pantip, probably not.

By the way this question was asked, I assume the original poster don't know much about Windows.

Offcourse you can update pirate windows if you want to.

There are no limits.

IE7, Defender,WMP11 can all be installed.

However, you need the knowledge howto do that.

I don't think anyone here is going to supply that info for him.

It's the wrong forum for it.

Can you find a XP version that pass the "legit check" at Pantip, probably not.

It's possible. The CD is almost impossible to copy with the holograms. Not for a hundred baht anyways.

It should come in a sealed box and have a Certificate of Authenticity with it.

Buy it somewhere else like a chain store and it's probably safe.

Edited by cdnvic

I believe the OEM version sold by Hardware House for 3400 baht and mentioned earlier to be genuine. The other place at Panthip to look for an original version is at the bookstore on l think level 3. They have retail boxed copies of XP in the shop window. A shop owner l know and trust tells me they are the real thing but l'm not sure if they come with Service Pack 2. I need a spare retail version with SP2 on the CD so l will pick one up from Singapore soon where they sell for around 3000 baht.

The times when you could run pirated versions of Windows are coming to an end if you want to connect your computer to the internet. Microsoft aren't completely stupid so l think it's getting to the point where it's going to be harder and more time consuming if you're not running genuine Windows. If you don't want to pay for an operating system then there are plenty of free versions of Linux about.

The one thing l've always thought could be a good idea for MS to try in Thailand would be to declare a one month amnesty for everyone in Thailand running copies of Windows and let them buy a key for 500 baht. At that price l wonder if it might persuade people to go legitimate. As long as XP costs 3000+ and who knows how much more for Vista Panthip copies are going to remain a viable option for many Thai's.

What's wrong with just buying a legit copy of Windows?

just a thought, is ALL YOUR sortware that you use legal?

This is off at a slight tangent ...

I have just bought the "real" xp for my spare laptop (upgrade version - need a legit 98 cd to install).

Everything works fine as it is - updated etc.

I was keeping it for when I next reformat.

If I wanted to - how can I "legitimize" my current version without reformatting?

Jack