Sharp tax hike on alcohol and tobacco effective immediately

rooster59

31 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

I used to buy 0 lady drinks….now I will be buying even less.

Even 'farangs' know a 'cheap charlie' when we see one............. 

A jewish friend of mine a few years back (not any longer) used to go with me for drinks and 'cop a feel' of a few ladies....... He would carry a bottle of drinking water in his pocket and upon entering the bar put it on the table.......... When asked what he wanted to drink.... He said..... I have my water, thanks...... and he never bought a drink (and certainly no lady drinks)........... But he would grab a lady and get a 'free' feel every chance he got...... A few days of that was enough for me........ LOL........

If you can't pay the bus fare...... Walk...........

These Thai girls with their lovely bodies, are not here offering  'free rides'....... They come from poor families...... Otherwise they would be in some 'University' and 'YOU' would never meet her.......

Have the graciousness you help them on occasions....... It is not an easy job they have........ There are a few 'sharks' out there...... sure...... but if your eyes are open you will see them...... But even with these 'sharks' more of the proceeds make it to the poor than you find in your home country charities (whose CEO and excutives bleed off the top 90%)........

Are there any 'charitable farangs' here or are they all out to squeeze all the baht out of a 20 baht bill as they can.........

As a poster in another thread said.............. "If the shoe fits.... wear it".............

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, NickJ said:

13 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Everytime they raise the prices.  A thread like this pops up. Within no time it's forty pages. 

Forty pages is nothing. Just say booze was cheaper under Yingluk and we're good for another 30 pages easy.

Edited by Denim

OK for beer at least it doesn't seem like the end of the world .  By My figuring....new tax is 430 Baht for 1 liter of Alcoholic content, old was 100 Baht so for a 320 Baht raise. if you figure beer is about 5% alcohol content  that would make the tax increase 16 baht per liter,  and a regular beer is around 320 ML. The retail price increase on a bottle of beer would be around 5-6 baht per  small bottle and 10 Baht per large bottle (630 ML).

if we look at it using the new 22% maximum tax level for beer  a 630ML bottle of Chang ran around 45 baht in 7-11, 22% of that is 9.9 Baht, minus the current 100 baht per liter tax which is 3.16 baht that should drop the tax raise to around 6.5 baht for a large one!

I guess I can live with that! ;)

3 minutes ago, Simons3 said:

OK for beer at least it doesn't seem like the end of the world .  By My figuring....new tax is 430 Baht for 1 liter of Alcoholic content, old was 100 Baht so for a 320 Baht raise. if you figure beer is about 5% alcohol content  that would make the tax increase 16 baht per liter,  and a regular beer is around 320 ML. The retail price increase on a bottle of beer would be around 5-6 baht per  small bottle and 10 Baht per large bottle (630 ML).

if we look at it using the new 22% maximum tax level for beer  a 630ML bottle of Chang ran around 45 baht in 7-11, 22% of that is 9.9 Baht, minus the current 100 baht per liter tax which is 3.16 baht that should drop the tax raise to around 6.5 baht for a large one!

I guess I can live with that! ;)

Why is everyone overworking their brains trying to work out the increases?  It's already published and reported more than once on this forum.  50 satang on a can of beer, 2 baht 66 on a bottle etc etc

Ok lets stay positive. All this is taxed too much, certainly if you compare prices of other goods-services in Thailand.  For beer, it will still not ruin you if you drink in moderation. 

For wine, I have air stops, so, I try to drink less.  For wine under 1000 Bht a bottle of something drinkable,  will go up from 800 bht to 920.

Now 2 years ago, I had for one euro 33 bht, now 39, so it will be around the same.  Wine, and beer are too expensive, and have been for a a couple of years.  Pretending this tax is for health reasons is bs.  I would even say, it is easy money, on someone's addiction. Worse, there are going to be accidents.  Because, bars will put in their cocktail shit, that is not even alcohol. Poor people, mostly Thais then, will try strange brewed beverages, that will made them sick. So health? I not think so.

Is there no expert on this board, who knows more about the "fruit wine". Some say it is not a mixture with juice at all, and only made believe to avoid taxes, other say it unhealthy shit. I love a few glasses of wine in the evening, but not to make me sick. The Mar y Sol is drinkable (but not to make me enjoy it, like some better bottle wine), but I really would like to know waht is really in teh case....

12 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Why is everyone overworking their brains trying to work out the increases?  It's already published and reported more than once on this forum.  50 satang on a can of beer, 2 baht 66 on a bottle etc etc

Yes ,just wait till monday .If its too much you can up sticks and go home .

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Having read that article three times,  I now remember why I never studied maths beyond Os. 

Could not make head nor tail of what increase would amount to from it. 

I studied maths at uni, and I could not make head nor tail of what increase would amount to.

This is not based on any rational math, this is voodoo...

1 minute ago, indieke said:

Ok lets stay positive. All this is taxed too much, certainly if you compare prices of other goods-services in Thailand.  For beer, it will still not ruin you if you drink in moderation. 

For wine, I have air stops, so, I try to drink less.  For wine under 1000 Bht a bottle of something drinkable,  will go up from 800 bht to 920.

Now 2 years ago, I had for one euro 33 bht, now 39, so it will be around the same.  Wine, and beer are too expensive, and have been for a a couple of years.  Pretending this tax is for health reasons is bs.  I would even say, it is easy money, on someone's addiction. Worse, there are going to be accidents.  Because, bars will put in their cocktail shit, that is not even alcohol. Poor people, mostly Thais then, will try strange brewed beverages, that will made them sick. So health? I not think so.

Is there no expert on this board, who knows more about the "fruit wine". Some say it is not a mixture with juice at all, and only made believe to avoid taxes, other say it unhealthy shit. I love a few glasses of wine in the evening, but not to make me sick. The Mar y Sol is drinkable (but not to make me enjoy it, like some better bottle wine), but I really would like to know waht is really in teh case....

You sure 2 years ago 33 Baht = 1 Euro?

6 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

I come at an average of 37.34 for the year 2015 for cash exchange.
You have got very bad exchange rates!.

The average over a year, are you kidding me? First the cash exchange is not the price you get. Second the average for March 2015 is 35, 3.  And the counter, some days it was 33, something, far from 37.4!

rates.JPG

9 minutes ago, indieke said:

rates.JPG

Average means a mean value.
Even in your graphics, I see no 33
It is probably because of the high credit card charges you paid.
The cash rate is exactly what you get at the bank counter, when you exchange bills.

Edited by tomacht8

21 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Average means a mean value.
Even in your graphics, I see no 33
It is probably because of the high credit card charges you paid.

If April is quoted 35, 07, it is not the average buying quote. It is the difference between buying and selling.   Then this also means, just like the average a year, not every day of the month, you will get this.  So in reality if the average is 35.07, you get more around 34 (so also 33.7). on some days. I know I was in Phuket, and we drove around to find the best rate. On that holiday, we not get   35, but remember very well, that all I got at one point, was below 34. The reason was also, as it was a bad rate at that time, I waited to change, hoping I get more, when opposite happend. Also the difference between a bank, a money-changer (where I usually go),  Superrich can be important .  Creditcards, will cost you more. Cost on processing in Thailand, then from your bank, and  at a shitty rate. But that has nothing to do with my statement.

The Thai bath is officially 39.55. But siam bank indicates 38.8!  Better rate at Super cheap.  So if I am saying that there is a huge difference between the rate today, and my holiday in March - April 2015, that compensates TODAY the rise in taxes, I think there is truth in it.

And how you transformed a positive note on the subject in something negative....

Edited by indieke

1 minute ago, indieke said:

If April is quoted 35, 07, it is not the average buying quote. It is the difference between buying and selling.   Then this also means, just like the average a year, not every day of the month, you will get this.  So in reality if the average is 35.07, you get more around 34 (so also 33.7). on some days. I know I was in Phuket, and we drove around to find the best rate. On that holiday, we got close to 35, but remember very well, that all I got at one point was below 34. The reason was also, as it was a bad rate at that time, I waited to change, hoping I get more, when opposite happend. Also the difference between a bank, a money-changer (where I usually go),  Superrich can be important .  Creditcards, will take you more. Cost on processing in Thailand, then from your bank at a shitty rate. But that has nothing to do with my statement.

The Thai bath is officially 39.55. But siam bank indicates 38.8!  Better rate at Super cheap.  So if I am saying that there is a huge difference between the rate today, and my holiday in March - April 2015, that compensates TODAY the rise in taxes, I think there is truth in it.

And how you transformed a positive not on the subject in something negative....

Take it easy.
I remember times when i get for 1 Euro over 50 Baht.
I'm sorry, on a tax increase I can generally see nothing positive.

58 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Seems about right but there are small and big cans/bottles so double it for a big one

43 minutes ago, Jonah Tenner said:

I studied maths at uni, and I could not make head nor tail of what increase would amount to.

This is not based on any rational math, this is voodoo...

It was probably a former 'College of Further Education'  :wink:

Just now, tomacht8 said:

Take it easy.
I remember times when i get for 1 Euro over 50 Baht.
I'm sorry, on a tax increase I can generally see nothing positive.

There is nothing positive  on a tax increase.  What use to wine (lol) over it?  So at least, I try to take it as well as possible. And sure, the Baht has been 50.  But I prefer the tax increase, how much I hate it, to a baht that was predicted not so long ago to fall to 30.

There is nothing to do about it, the pill is even bitter, if you know that people deciding this are even not elected.  A lot of things have changed, these last 10 years. Rarely to the good, as in every country. In Thailand, the waters are more and more polluted, we are not  feeling welcome, Chinese and Russians have taken our place.  Still we find enough pleasure to come, even we are sad about these changes.

Meanwhile some people are counting their days to their next trip. I still come to Thailand 4 months a year, so I enjoy what is still fine.

this tax hike is just a shameless and very stupid money-grabbing move by the government.

https://www.reuters.com/article/thailand-taxes/thailand-sets-new-excise-tax-on-alcohol-cigarettes-idUSL4N1LX03R

it is expected to raise tax income by 2%, which is huge.

why is it stupid:

1- it also targets beer, which is already expensive in Thailand, but not really the drink of choice to get drunk on

2- the price of a bottle of wine goes up by 110 baht, a bottle of lao khao, which kills thousands every year in Thailand, goes up by only 30 baht

21 hours ago, manarak said:

this tax hike is just a shameless and very stupid money-grabbing move by the government.

https://www.reuters.com/article/thailand-taxes/thailand-sets-new-excise-tax-on-alcohol-cigarettes-idUSL4N1LX03R

it is expected to raise tax income by 2%, which is huge.

why is it stupid:

1- it also targets beer, which is already expensive in Thailand, but not really the drink of choice to get drunk on

2- the price of a bottle of wine goes up by 110 baht, a bottle of lao khao, which kills thousands every year in Thailand, goes up by only 30 baht

That's because they want the locals to keep killing themselves, a whole lot cheaper if they die early, no pension or any other benefits, the junta are smart, be like the junta :whistling:

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

2 minutes ago, indieke said:

There is nothing positive  on a tax increase.  What use to wine (lol) over it?  So at least, I try to take it as well as possible. And sure, the Baht has been 50.  But I prefer the tax increase, how much I hate it, to a baht that was predicted not so long ago to fall to 30.

There is nothing to do about it, the pill is even bitter, if you know that people deciding this are even not elected.  A lot of things have changed, these last 10 years. Rarely to the good, as in every country. In Thailand, the waters are more and more polluted, we are not  feeling welcome, Chinese and Russians have taken our place.  Still we find enough pleasure to come, even we are sad about these changes.

Meanwhile some people are counting their days to their next trip. I still come to Thailand 4 months a year, so I enjoy what is still fine.

Yes.
I live here over 20 years.
Have already experienced many exchange rates ups and downs.
This tax increase hits especially the normal Thai people, who just do not earn so much.
Foreigners with a good income from outside or tourists who have their budget may do not even notice this tax increases.

9 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

That's because they want the locals to keep killing themselves, a whole lot cheaper if they die early, no pension or any other benefits, the junta are smart, be like the junta :whistling:

Didn't realise that there was a pension and benefits in Thailand (for anyone). Please point me in the right direction to find them.

1 minute ago, TheLobster said:

Didn't realise that there was a pension and benefits in Thailand (for anyone). Please point me in the right direction to find them.

Oh do keep up Lobster, many many old people are entitled to something like 600 baht a month pension plus the 30 baht medical stuff, not sure of the full entitlements but best to say it wouldn't fund a raucous night out for me and you, and they have to live on it for a month mate. Sad indeed. 

2 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Oh do keep up Lobster, many many old people are entitled to something like 600 baht a month pension plus the 30 baht medical stuff

19 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

So they want the locals to kill themselves to save the 600THB/month pension for the many, many people?

I can't see how it helps with the 'medical stuff' either as the alcohol consumers/alcoholics are more likely to require hospital treatment until they pass away.

A tax increase, which ultimately pays the final consumer, extracts money from the purse from the normal citizen.
This money is then used by the government for its projects.
So the purchases and projects of the current government are well known.
Whether the whole thing goes in the right direction, one can have its legitimate doubts.
Ultimately, this tax increase affects massively the poor and not so much the rich.

Edited by tomacht8

2 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

Even 'farangs' know a 'cheap charlie' when we see one............. 

A jewish friend of mine a few years back (not any longer) used to go with me for drinks and 'cop a feel' of a few ladies....... He would carry a bottle of drinking water in his pocket and upon entering the bar put it on the table.......... When asked what he wanted to drink.... He said..... I have my water, thanks...... and he never bought a drink (and certainly no lady drinks)........... But he would grab a lady and get a 'free' feel every chance he got...... A few days of that was enough for me........ LOL........

If you can't pay the bus fare...... Walk...........

These Thai girls with their lovely bodies, are not here offering  'free rides'....... They come from poor families...... Otherwise they would be in some 'University' and 'YOU' would never meet her.......

Have the graciousness you help them on occasions....... It is not an easy job they have........ There are a few 'sharks' out there...... sure...... but if your eyes are open you will see them...... But even with these 'sharks' more of the proceeds make it to the poor than you find in your home country charities (whose CEO and excutives bleed off the top 90%)........

Are there any 'charitable farangs' here or are they all out to squeeze all the baht out of a 20 baht bill as they can.........

As a poster in another thread said.............. "If the shoe fits.... wear it".............

you should know that you sound like a bar owner….understandable.