Sharp tax hike on alcohol and tobacco effective immediately

rooster59

Sharp tax hike on alcohol and tobacco effective immediately

By The Nation

d2a6443c9a984581198b15c26e36d08b.jpeg

New excise tax rates effective starting Saturday, September 16, hit alcoholic beverages hard.

The rates, published in the Royal Gazette, adjust the tax rate for beer to 22 per cent of retail price and Bt430 per liter of alcoholic content

For wine made from grapes ,the tax rate is Bt1,500 per litre of alcoholic content for a wine bottle not exceeding Bt1,000.

Wine priced higher than Bt1,000 will be taxed at 20 per cent of its price and Bt1,500 per liter of alcoholic content.

The rate for wine made from grapes mixed with other fruits is 10 per cent of the price and Bt150 per litre of alcoholic content. These rates are effective from now onwards.

The white spirit tax rate is 2 per cent of retail price and Bt155 per litre of alcoholic content, while for other kinds of spirits the rate is 20 per cent of retail price and Bt255 per litre of alcoholic content 

The tax rate for cigarette is 20 per cent of retail price for a pack not exceeding Bt60 and Bt1.20 per roll. 

The rate goes up to 40 per cent for a cigarette pack priced more than Bt60. It is effective from September 16, 2017, until September 30 ,2019.

And the rate for cigars is 10 per cent of price and Bt1.2 per gram effective Saturday.

Source: Excise Department

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30326850

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Wine priced higher than Bt1,000 will be taxed at 20 per cent of its price and Bt1,500 per liter of alcoholic content.

14 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The white spirit tax rate is 2 per cent of retail price and Bt155 per litre of alcoholic content, while for other kinds of spirits the rate is 20 per cent of retail price and Bt255 per litre of alcoholic content 

Just as everyone expected... cheap lao khao and expensive wine.  :sad:

Absolutely appalling. I don't drink much and don't smoke.. But the prices in line with what your rank and file earn is a joke.

A lot of speculation abound that the coffers are running really low. These ridiculous hikes are going to be used to plug the hole, or are we going to expect denials on both fronts (not broke and sin taxes used in proper way) ?

2 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Dont really matter, those rates were rolled in to the retail price and these news taxes are on top of that.

"The rates, published in the Royal Gazette, adjust the tax rate for beer to 22 per cent of retail price and Bt430 per liter of alcoholic content"

Where does it say on top of existing rates?

So what will be the increase per bottle of beer?I guess that is what a lot of people would like to know.

It will not last long anyway,as soon as they find out this increase will actually make them less money they will revoke this real fast.

1 minute ago, jvs said:

So what will be the increase per bottle of beer?I guess that is what a lot of people would like to know.

It will not last long anyway,as soon as they find out this increase will actually make them less money they will revoke this real fast.

No, they will hike up the prices further to cover the lost revenue.

Coupled with the nonsense from TAT on the Pattaya news forum this is going to be a serious nail in the coffin of the tourist industry.

I was in Jomtien a month a ago and in a well known establishment that serves western food.

Gammon steak and chips, 1 bottle of beer for me and a Thai dish and a bottle of water for the girlfriend. Then I worked out the cost at that days rate for the UK pound against the bill in Baht.

11 pounds 90 pence.................................and this before this new tax hike on the booze.

The country is dead on its feet.

I guess a trip to my local market is the only way I will be able to see the actual impact on my alcohol budget. I think I will hit a few pubs and the two Go Go bars here in Chiang Mai after the Formula 1 qualifying and see how they handled the price increase by upping prices across the board, i.e. my drink and a ladydrink. If the prices have increased enough perhaps the riff raff, twatpackers, obnoxious ExPat louts will find their budget cannot handle the increase and they will no longer be a nuisance. One can hope.

The killer for the retail industry is the cost of a licence to sell alcohol increases from 2000B/year to 50,000B/year. Again, the small man is hurt, large retailers will only need to add a few satang to cover this, but Mom and Pop will need to raise prices considerably.

4 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

By my (hopefully wrong) calculation, a 5 litre box of the fruit wine that I buy will go from 959 baht to 1,934 baht.

If the wine you buy is mixed with other fruits and not only grapes I don't think there wil be a huge difference in price. Different story for the real wine that will be taxed a lot 

1 minute ago, marino28 said:

If the wine you buy is mixed with other fruits and not only grapes I don't think there wil be a huge difference in price. Different story for the real wine that will be taxed a lot 

You are correct, I misread it as 1,500 baht per litre of alcohol, not 150 as stated in the OP. My bad. 

2 minutes ago, naboo said:

The killer for the retail industry is the cost of a licence to sell alcohol increases from 2000B/year to 50,000B/year. Again, the small man is hurt, large retailers will only need to add a few satang to cover this, but Mom and Pop will need to raise prices considerably.

I only paid 1100 for this years licence. Where did you get your 50,000 bht figure from

17 minutes ago, jvs said:

Yeah, right after end of high season. Surely just a coincidence. 

12 minutes ago, jvs said:

Well I work it out as follows, please correct me if I am wrong.

If you pay 70 baht for a 630cl  bottle of 5% beer.

Add 22 baht on the price of the bottle, then another 13.3 baht for its alcohol content.

A total increase of 35 .3 baht on its retail price.

Expect a somewhat bigger increase from the bar/restaurant owners.

If my calculations re the alcohol content are correct that is pretty hefty....

22 minutes ago, jvs said:

If the increases are to discourage drinking then less revenue will mean a success. 

Personally, I don't think revenue will drop. 

Drinkers drink. 

Smokers smoke. 

Edited by Bluespunk