Hotel Midway

mogandave

Hello, I am planning on driving from Bangkok to Phuket and would like to know know a convenient hotel about half to three-fourths of the way down.

Primary concerns are clean, easy to find, not too far out of the way.

I can't leave Bangkok until afternoon, so this should just be a quick place to stop for some sleep and move on.

Thanks,

Dave

16 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

I would not drive at night with all the loose buffaloes about. If you are leaving in the afternoon, stop at Hua Hin. Many nice hotels there and good food, from what I hear.

I would second that. If you are leaving 'afternoon' then best stop before dark. I suppose Hua Hin is a bit early to stop but they is really nothing after that until Chumphon which is too far to drive in dark.

We always stay at Subhamitra hotel in Hua Hin. Typical Thai family run hotel. A little bit old but clean.

- My wife just calls them a few days before arrival and makes a hassle free non-deposit reservation over the phone

- Ample parking on the premises and if we have the pickup full of stuff that is safe in the car overnight

- It has two-bedroom units (children can only leave the unit passing through your bedroom)

- It has a pool

- It is only a few minutes walk to the night market, the beach and dozens of restaurants

- It is not expensive*

*) Many hotels in Hua Hin have weekend rates. Higher prices on weekends as the hotels fill up with visiting Bangkok Thais. Also the traffic is terrible then. Incoming traffic on Friday and Saturday and outgoing on Sunday and Monday. If you can avoid these days.

http://www.subhamitrahotel.com/

As recommended Phuket is about a 8 hour drive from Cha Am/ Hua Hin driving sensibly 

at the next town heading south  Prachuap Khiri Khan there is a nice beach front hotel run by the Royal Thai Air Force

We always travel mid week and have no problem finding accommodation at these towns at  4 or 5 PM  

57 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

As recommended Phuket is about a 8 hour drive from Cha Am/ Hua Hin driving sensibly 

at the next town heading south  Prachuap Khiri Khan there is a nice beach front hotel run by the Royal Thai Air Force

We always travel mid week and have no problem finding accommodation at these towns at  4 or 5 PM  

Agreed ... but OP requested 'not far out of the way'  Trouble with Khiri Khan and Chumphon hotels is that they are a fair trek away from the main high way.

There are dozens of small resorts on Highway 4. They're all much-of-a-muchness but they're right on the road. Some are inside the gas stations where you can also find a 7-Eleven and something to eat. I do the trip a couple of times a year and always do it this way. It means you're not tied to a specific place and can stop when you like.

55 minutes ago, madmitch said:

There are dozens of small resorts on Highway 4. They're all much-of-a-muchness but they're right on the road. Some are inside the gas stations where you can also find a 7-Eleven and something to eat. I do the trip a couple of times a year and always do it this way. It means you're not tied to a specific place and can stop when you like.

A lot of the small resorts/motels have arrows made from light tubes on the edge of the road , it makes them easy to find after sunset, have used them a few times ourselves

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Agreed ... but OP requested 'not far out of the way'  Trouble with Khiri Khan and Chumphon hotels is that they are a fair trek away from the main high way.

Its closer to the main road than Cha Am/ hua hin, only about 10 minutes drive from memory at Khiri Khan to the royal Thai air force hotel

Thanks guys, my boy has a dental appointment at 11:15 in Bangkok. We'll leave from there, so I should be on the road by noon to one.

I'd hate to only get as far as Hua Hin.

The roadside resort/motels generally have vacancies and no need to book ahead, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I had to google "much of a muchness", thanks for the tip.

14 hours ago, mogandave said:

Thanks guys, my boy has a dental appointment at 11:15 in Bangkok. We'll leave from there, so I should be on the road by noon to one.

I'd hate to only get as far as Hua Hin.

The roadside resort/motels generally have vacancies and no need to book ahead, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

No need at all to book ahead at this time of year, they will all have vacancies

You should get as far down as Chumphon or Surat Thani leaving Bangkok at 1PM

Archived