New tax rates to earn extra 12 billion baht to state coffer

rooster59

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not long ago, while visiting a restaurant on Samui, called Dr. Frogs, I noticed a little sign on the table. We are proud to offer our new house wine. Yellow Tail cabernet. Only 1,499 baht, per bottle. I had just returned from the US, and the markets were absolutely flooded with this swill, at $3.99 a bottle. That is about 135 baht! So, yes I agree with you. Why drink absolute junk, for inflated prices? 

Yellow Tail is the best selling imported wine in the United States. Yellow Tail accounted for 11 percent of all U.S. imports in 2005. This one wine brand represents about 8 percent of all Australian wine production and 15 percent of that country’s total wine exports. Yellow Tail sells more wine in the U.S. than all French producers combined. And that say alot about the average American wine palate.  

Again, the government misses the mark, and does not have the vision, nor the courage to undo an injustice, perpetrated by very corrupt senators, who sabotaged the Thai economy, in a feeble effort to protect a few unbelievably inferior local wine producers. Instead, goes what their solution is? Raise taxes even more, to compound the import taxes already in place. Who came up with this policy? How was it approved? Who are these people? Why are they allowed to continue their reign of economic destruction?

Also, this is in direct contravention to the ASEAN charter that Thailand signed, and is a party to, that allows the distribution, importation, and export of all alcoholic beverages between all ASEAN members, duty free. When is the last time you saw a bottle of Saigon beer, 33 beer (both Vietnamese beers), Hitachino Nest white ale, India pale ale (both from Cambodia), or Bintang beer (Indonesian) on the supermarket shelves? Beer Laos, if you are lucky enough. I can understand why the giant Thai beer companies would do everything in their power to squash the implementation of this law. Their product is way, way inferior, to that of their neighbors. But, the government has a responsibility to follow through with laws they are a party to. Even if that means saying no to massive hand outs.

Mike if i had a choice on drinking Chang, Leo, Or BeerLao I would take Beerlao So i agree with you whole heartly