New beer prices

aussiesteve63

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, NiwPix said:

Not only alcohol prices were raised ( according to bangkok post ), but also coffee, fruit drinks, carbonated sugar drinks, carbonated sugar free drinks, cigarettes.

I can not post the link here, but if you google "bangkok post new excise tax" you should be able to see everything that got a tax hike.

Seems like nothing dramatic though...~1-2 Baht per bottle. Why on earth somebody would refuse to shop at their local village store because they raised their price is beyond me. Does somebody really expect the local business to "carry" that hike themselves? Unless the local village raised the price for beer more than 3-4 baht per bottle.

One local shop raise beer 2 baht, and another on the same soi 5 baht (3.6% and 9% respectively).  They were both identical prices before that.  I don't think any malintent is there.  Lack of a battery for the Casio "machine that thinks about numbers" maybe.

On 20/09/2017 at 11:06 AM, sandyf said:

And several others. The Greenery bar near the market was 60 Baht last week for a large Chang.

Price is not the determining factor for most people. The atomosphere, music, decor, service, staff,  view, location? street view, AC, smoke free air egg etc.  When crowds of  cheap  Charlie's gather together in one place it  an be a depressing and dispiriting experience.

12 minutes ago, The manic said:

Price is not the determining factor for most people. The atomosphere, music, decor, service, staff,  view, location? street view, AC, smoke free air egg etc.  When crowds of  cheap  Charlie's gather together in one place it  an be a depressing and dispiriting experience.

Some of the wealthiest people I know seek out cheap beer.

was at BigC today, normally we shop at BigC twice a month,

so the carts become rather full

now, they had introduced new rules,

anyone person can only buy 1 pack of beer per day, since we were 2 we could buy two packs

hows that?

if I understood it correctly, the price hike or tax increase has not been fully implemented yet,

the manufactureres of beer and cigarettes have not yet produced and distributed sufficient

amounts of "new" beer and cigarettes

so BigC is slowly selling out its stock at old prices

by the way,

I could buy as much whisky and vodka and gin and red/white wine as I fancied,

the restrictions were on beer

and Jiffy and 7/11 has restrictions on the sale of cigarettes

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Why?  Why drink in a crap place just to save a few pence? Anywhere on the world? There is a tipping point between value for money and decent location but in Pattaya that tipping point can sink to bars full of fairly unpleasant, negative people with rotten service, vile music, loud TV, poor AC etcetc.

Just now, The manic said:

Why?  Why drink in a crap place just to save a few pence? Anywhere on the world? There is a tipping point between value for money and decent location but in Pattaya that tipping point can sink to bars full of fairly unpleasant, negative people with rotten service, vile music, loud TV, poor AC etcetc.

The people I know would not frequent the places you describe.Equally, I have seen some obnoxious ar5eholes throwing money around in quality places - frankly, that is worse.

Good value can be sought out without bottom-feeding.

11 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The people I know would not frequent the places you describe.Equally, I have seen some obnoxious ar5eholes throwing money around in quality places - frankly, that is worse.

Good value can be sought out without bottom-feeding.

I was thinking of bars mentioned in this thread around the Soi Buakao area. Cheap but joyless. Obnoxious Rsoles are what they  are rich or poor penny pinchers or otherwise.  But when Im out drinking I don't like to feel like I'm in the pub next to the dole office surrounded welfare by recipients. I find such places grim.

8 hours ago, The manic said:

I was thinking of bars mentioned in this thread around the Soi Buakao area. Cheap but joyless. Obnoxious Rsoles are what they  are rich or poor penny pinchers or otherwise.  But when Im out drinking I don't like to feel like I'm in the pub next to the dole office surrounded welfare by recipients. I find such places grim.

.... and yet sitting in Sutus Court on soi Buakhao, paying 65 Baht for a large beer, I have some of the most interesting people. 

12 hours ago, The manic said:

I do not live in Pattaya but when I visit it is good to be able to find somewhere to have a beer at around the same price as around here, unlike Bangkok where it usually runs to around double the price.

13 hours ago, Jip99 said:

That.  We're brought up to think that being Scrooge is a bad person.  If asked how he got to have money, it may just be that he spent less than he earned, was discriminating in purchasing choices, never got in debt unless for exceptions (eg. borrow at 5%, resell at 6% etc).

Okay so we're not all going to be multi-trillionaires, (well, hyperinflation...) but even a non enterprising person with a steady job has choices in life.  That said, sometimes sh!t happens and that's why we have community rather than just being out for self.  It's a form of game theory.

Drifting topic slightly, a friend is trying to sell his business as he can't make it pay in this financial climate.  Several people have expressed an interest "but I don't have the money".  It's like everyone is comfortable or strapped for cash at the same time.  We can't all be Sines, we need CoSignes too.  This climate we're in now is a Contrarians wet dream, and people will say "the rich get richer...".

I suspect your friend is a Contrarian.

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

I do not live in Pattaya but when I visit it is good to be able to find somewhere to have a beer at around the same price as around here, unlike Bangkok where it usually runs to around double the price.

When I visit Pattaya from Buriram I pay less for my beer.