Thaksin tweets his concern for fellow Thai citizens on anniversary of 2006 coup

snoop1130

Thaksin tweets his concern for fellow Thai citizens on anniversary of 2006 coup

By The Nation

cbe3a5e636dd325b9587f9607885068f.jpeg

Fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra tweeted his concern about the “livelihood of fellow Thai citizens” on Tuesday, on the 11th anniversary of the military coup that ousted his government.

“I hope the memory of what happened 11 years ago has not faded from the hearts of Thai people,” he said, in English, via his Twitter account @thaksinlive. “I am, and will always be, concerned about the livelihood of my fellow Thai citizens.”

On September 19, 2006, then-Army chief General Sonthi Boonyaratglin staged a coup against Thaksin’s elected caretaker government after two years of protests against the businessman-turned-politician’s administration over a series of alleged corruption issues.

Thaksin was ousted in mid-air while on a flight to New York to attend the United Nations General Assembly.

The coup was followed by a decade of political turmoil and short-termed governments and premiers, before General Prayut Chan-o-cha, as the then-Army chief, staged another coup in May 2014 and has ruled Thailand since.

The tweet, meanwhile, is the second time that Thaksin has made statements via his social-media account since his sister, former PM Yingluck Shinawatra, disappeared last month ahead of the verdict against her in a case stemming from her alleged negligence in her government’s management of a controversial rice-pledging scheme.

Yingluck was nowhere to be seen on August 25, when she was due to hear the ruling, leaving her former commerce minister Boonsong Teriyapirom to face a sentence of 42 years in jail for faking rice deals in relation to the scheme.

The whereabouts of Thaksin’s fugitive sister are still unknown.

Five days later, Thaksin quoted French philosopher Montesquieu, who said: “There is no crueller tyranny than that which is perpetuated under the shield of law and in the name of justice.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30327147

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-9-19

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Busy obtaining a second Passport + Residency

No doubt Yingluk has long had at least a second passport, and maybe more. Residency somewhere should not be hard to come by for someone of Shinawatra clan means….. Asylum could take a bit longer but should be possible and may be preferable to her.

34 minutes ago, Freed1948 said:

Why are we still quoting this criminal????

"Why are we still quoting this criminal?"

Because he is still the most popular leader in Thailand. Abihisit is not as popular, and neither is big P. Nor is anyone else.

And if a fair election were held today, he would win. And, everyone knows that.

yes, the people remember how he killed a few thousand  and then proceeded to rip off the country to enrich himself and his family. He will not come back because of all the other charges he will have to face, the man is a corrupt criminal that simply pays people to like him using false promises and heaps of innuendo and lies

2 minutes ago, seajae said:

yes, the people remember how he killed a few thousand  and then proceeded to rip off the country to enrich himself and his family. He will not come back because of all the other charges he will have to face, the man is a corrupt criminal that simply pays people to like him using false promises and heaps of innuendo and lies

...And if a fair election were held today, he would win.

I know it, you know it, all the Thai people know it, big P knows it, Abihisit knows it.

All of Thailand knows it. All of it.

5 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I know it, you know it, all the Thai people know it, big P knows it, Abihisit knows it.

You present a very persuasive argument why Thailand is not ready for democracy, when a known criminal who blatantly fills the position to benefit himself is the most likely candidate to succeed in an election.

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

And just how do you KNOW it.

Have you done a survey of 1,000, 10,000, 100,000 or even a million Thai citizens?

If you have then please publish the result and the questions that you asked.

Until you do that all you have said is merely your opinion with little to back it up.

No facts, no links, no surveys.

The day my wife saw the light and started shouting "Thaksi auk bpai" was great.

Getting rid of this thief was the best thing for Thailand. I remember when he was Finance minister under Big Jew in 1997, when he made billions of dollars, ruining the lives of many Thais, apart from the bargirls in pat Pong, whi started asking for US$ lol.

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"Why are we still quoting this criminal?"

Because he is still the most popular leader in Thailand. Abihisit is not as popular, and neither is big P. Nor is anyone else.

And if a fair election were held today, he would win. And, everyone knows that.

Big P is popular. He has never taken part in a fair election in his life. Do you call buying votes fair?

Thaksin reaches out to Thais on 2006 coup anniversary

By The Nation

c739024a47b6e53e1a6668ffc37ca100.jpg

BANGKOK: -- To commemorate the 2006 coup that deposed his government, fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday expressed concern about the “liveliฌhood of fellow Thai citizens” via his Twitter account.

“I hope the memory of what happened 11 years ago has not faded from the hearts of Thai people,” Thaksin wrote in English via his account @thaksinlive. “I am, and will always be, concerned about the livelihood of my fellow Thai citizens.”

Thaksin’s former deputy Chaturon Chaisang joined the former premier by tweeting: “A while after the 2006 coup, I was asked how long it would take Thailand to return to democracy. I replied that it might take a long time. As of today, that is even outdated compared to how it used to be 11 years ago.”

On September 19, 2006, the milฌitary staged a coup against Thaksin’s elected caretaker government after two years of protests against the businessmanturnedpolitiฌcian’s administration over a series of corruption issues.

The coup was followed by a decade of political turmoil and shortterm governments before Prime Minister General Prayut Chanocha, then the Army chief, staged another coup in May 2014. He has ruled Thailand since.

Thaksin’s tweets were his second online appearance in a week after his daughter, Pintongta Kunakornwong, postฌed photos and clips of Thaksin with her husband and twin daughters in the UK.

That post coincided with the schedule of Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan, who was visiting the UK from last Tuesday to Friday on the invitation of the British government.

Despite speculation that Prawit had talked with Thaksin, the deputy premier denied that he had met him about his sister, former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra, whom security forces have been tracking after she disappeared before hearing a Supreme Court verdict related to her government’s ricepledging scheme last month. “I left during the daytime and [Thaksin] came at night. How could we meet? He and I also went through different airports,” Prawit said.

Meanwhile, Prayut said authorities had not caught Yingluck because “they”, in reference to other countries, had not agreed to extradite her. “We can only wait,” he said.

Prayut said earlier Thailand had contacted Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam, Singapore and the United Arab Emirates in pursuit of Yingluck.

Yesterday, Prayut led a mobile Cabinet meeting in Ayutthaya as a part of a twoday field trip focusing on local development issues in the Central region.

On Monday in Suphan Buri, he met with key figures from the Chart Thai Pattana Party, the first time that he had met with local politicians despite his professed disฌtaste for political figures.

Prapat Pothasuthon, a Chart Thai Pattana Party vetฌeran and former minister, told Prayut that it would be fine for the junta premier to stay in power for “eight or 10 years” as long as he considered people’s wellbeing.

Prayut said later that the meeting did not involve a politฌical deal regarding the muchdelayed election. “They only came to acknowledge what we are doing,” he said. “It was just a step towards reconciliation to settle things for the next election.”

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said it was too soon to guess whether Chart Thai Pattana might join forces with the military in the election. The meeting was not unusual, Abhisit said, given that the politicians came from the province and the talks had not caused any harm.

However, he added that it was essential for the junta to follow its socalled “roadmap to democracy”. “Failing to do so would bring more damage than that caused, as they said, by democracy,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30327167

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-20

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

And just how do you KNOW it.

Have you done a survey of 1,000, 10,000, 100,000 or even a million Thai citizens?

If you have then please publish the result and the questions that you asked.

Until you do that all you have said is merely your opinion with little to back it up.

No facts, no links, no surveys.

Sorry but it is news.  On this forum just a couple of weeks ago the good general lost to Thaksin in a popularity poll.  He was quite displeased.  That and process of elimination puts him at the top.  There are few personalities in Thailand that can stir things up like he can even with him being rather quiet and away so long. 

Just now, maeab101 said:

Maybe if he didn't rob Thailand Blind. The thais livelihood would be better. Why did they give money back to him? Thais could have used it.

The Thais have been marginalized for decades with poor education and opportunities.  That is why he won.  Somebody as bad as that was better than the status quo. 

12 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Thaksin never participated in a fair election. He paid 500 baht for every vote. Thats known as vote buying. LOL.

A timely reminder to Thailand that coups do not solved any problems. In fact it worsen the political problems and cause enormous damage to the economy and image. If coups can better the life of Thailand, why coups are repeated 18 times over with nothing to show. People will judge Thaksin in the election. Repeated coups were staged to maintain establishment dominance. Most know but prefer to blame Thaksin. 

14 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Very true and that's an incredibly sad indictment of Thailand and the people. 

Not only did Thaksin flee  Thailand he took lots of his money before the famous flight.

He also insulted an important family in Thailand and won.t be forgiven for that.   Buying

his way into power, does not seem to make the Thai people think of him as a rich cheat.

Only to us Westerners, that is what we know.   I can only hope that he and his family get

shunned by the Thai population, and that no other Thaksin clan member get into  a powerful

position in Thailand again.

Geezer

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Sorry but it is news.  On this forum just a couple of weeks ago the good general lost to Thaksin in a popularity poll.  He was quite displeased.  That and process of elimination puts him at the top.  There are few personalities in Thailand that can stir things up like he can even with him being rather quiet and away so long. 

Sorry once again. I do remember the poll and when I looked there were not that many people polled, something like about an average of 200 people for each province. However not every province was polled and certainly with perhaps 1,400 people polled from a voter population of some 42 million,it doesn't mean that much.

However if Thailand wants to believe that a covicted fugitive who is too scared to return to his own country to face a 2 year jail sentence and a few more charges is more popular, that is up to them

14 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Sorry once again. I do remember the poll and when I looked there were not that many people polled, something like about an average of 200 people for each province. However not every province was polled and certainly with perhaps 1,400 people polled from a voter population of some 42 million,it doesn't mean that much.

However if Thailand wants to believe that a covicted fugitive who is too scared to return to his own country to face a 2 year jail sentence and a few more charges is more popular, that is up to them

Most polls, as you so rightfully pointed out, are not worth much in Thailand, so asking somebody to produce one is a bit silly. 

Yes, nobody has ever died in jail or police custody in Thailand.  Thaksin is a wimp.  And it is not up to Thailand anymore.  Thailand is under martial law.  It is up to the army now. 

Edited by yellowboat

39 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Not only did Thaksin flee  Thailand he took lots of his money before the famous flight.

He also insulted an important family in Thailand and won.t be forgiven for that.   Buying

his way into power, does not seem to make the Thai people think of him as a rich cheat.

Only to us Westerners, that is what we know.   I can only hope that he and his family get

shunned by the Thai population, and that no other Thaksin clan member get into  a powerful

position in Thailand again.

Geezer

You mean his last flight to Beijing and he was stupid enough to carry lots of baggage with money to China? And he has not been charged with LM and locked up for good? You seem out of touch with reality. Only reality that sound about right is your assertion that people should decide. What don't seem right is that you speak of people's choice while supporting the junta robbing the people right to choose. A rather strange dichotomy. 

16 hours ago, halloween said:

Correction - While on a flight to the UN General Assembly where he intended to present himself as the PM of Thailand, he was reminded, that having resigned, he longer held that position.

A certain poster (schhhhush, you know who) will pop up and claim that what your posting is just "semantics".

Whilst he vigorously attacks the Junta for not being elected, he apparently feels it's fine for Thaksin to resign and then seize power whenever he fancies.

But saying Thaksin was "removed by a coup" sounds so much better than mentioning he was illegally occupying a caretaker role at the time!