Any Aussies had their pension reduced because of a Thai marriage?

giddyup

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I asked if anyone had their pension reduced because of their Thai marriage, ie actual experiences. I filled out that stat dec at the embassy, but didn't go through with the marriage, so doubt if it means anything.

The link suggests that one would experience a reduction in pension of about $5K per annum. Whether or not you register the marriage may determine the final outcome.

When I got married I thought I'd do the right thing & let Centrelink know sure enough they dropped my pension back,  & started to deduct more for the over pay from when we got married, I rang them asked the why they said because your wife is of working age, I told them I could not live on the reduced pension as I have to support her, they sent me some paper work to fill in, in reply, I said we live in a remote community very little paid work, I'm in poor health & need her help, monthly expenses, blah blah etc. A week later they reimbursed the deducted pension &  repayments, that was over 2 years ago haven't heard another thing from them since.

I did discuss this with another guy about 12 months ago he didn't let them know but they found out when he took his wife back home for a visit by her using her passport with the married name, at the time he'd been married near 3 years & had a bill of 10's of thousands, he was going to try my way but I have not heard back from him. 

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Not sure they would bother to send someone from Australia to Thailand to check up on my living arrangements.

They may not but you can be sure that there are many disgruntled expats that would only too happy to dob you in if they felt that they were being singled out for prosecution

2 minutes ago, datcook said:

They may not but you can be sure that there are many disgruntled expats that would only too happy to dob you in if they felt that they were being singled out for prosecution

dont tell & they dont know or just seperate live or put clothes in seperate bedrooms that works anyway dont think they will send someone from Aust Embassy 2 check

Just now, giddyup said:

I know who's the imbecile, someone who just joins and starts throwing around prejudicial, ill-informed opinions. Hopefully the mods will make short work of you.

Just now, giddyup said:

I know who's the imbecile, someone who just joins and starts throwing around prejudicial, ill-informed opinions. Hopefully the mods will make short work of you.

u have your opinion we have & are entitled 2 ours   so leave it alone or back it up with facts

1 minute ago, arildalone said:

back it up with facts

3 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Ahhh romance is not yet dead but, seriously, marrying a Thai deserves some some of punishment right? 

right on the money

This is a fact is it? Read the post before you join in with stupid comments.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Seriously man, nearly 10,000 post and you still expecting too much for TV

forum's members and getting stroppy about it as well, i think that by

now you've got all the answers and information you're going to get on

this subject which means you have to find answers elsewhere that will

perhaps satisfy you....

2 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Seriously man, nearly 10,000 post and you still expecting too much for TV

forum's members and getting stroppy about it as well, i think that by

now you've got all the answers and information you're going to get on

this subject which means you have to find answers elsewhere that will

perhaps satisfy you....

You're right, but I'm finding I have less and less tolerance for the idiots.. Mods, if you're watching please close this post.

Edited by giddyup
13 minutes ago, datcook said:

Before you start offloading assets look very closely at just what your assets are and the assets threshold is, you may be surprised. it is now over $1000000 dollars and if you have this amount you probably would not need the pension

If you are applying for a part aged pension, sure its a $1,033,000 as a non home owner as a couple, but well under half of that if applying for the full pension as a non home owner, if you are applying as a single, refer to the attached link and scroll down to the tables that point it out, I am over the $755,000 as a non home owner that would be applying as a single for the full pension.

Wouldn't consider applying as couple because they would halve the pension for me, so I believe.

With regard to your last comment, i.e. "if you have this amount, you probably would not need the pension", all I can say to that is, fair suck of the sav mate, I busted my nuts to get what I have, and yes I don't need the pension to survive, but the way I see it is, I paid my taxes for 39 years and provided I fit the criteria, regardless of how I reduce my assets, and return to Australia for the 2 year period prior as required, then I am entitled to it. Its every man for them selves the way I see it.

That is following the rules, nothing illegal about it, you know I haven't ripped the system off like others have and are doing, and they haven't even contributed to the system, that's my beef anyway, and if you have a million plus and don't want to get the pension for all those years you paid taxes, then "up to you" as they say here, I'm not a sucker by any means, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, with a few modifications of course.

No doubt many will argue with me on this, and that's fine, couldn't give a rat a.. personally.

https://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/age-pension/income-and-asset-tests 

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You're right. Mods, if you're watching please close this post.

Well in spite of a few folk "stirring the possum", there have been enough informed comments here to throw a little light on a subject that often comes up. Thanks to the folk who have taken the time to be helpful.

I married a Thai in Bangkok, was on a Age Pension.

Did not lose any pension.

Divorced now, and live back in Australia.

I know if you live in Australia and your wife is younger and works.

You lose 50% after she earns a certain amount.

Not sure how Centrelink would find out you married here.

Maybe the Thai Government notifies them.

My marriage was 10 years ago.

31 minutes ago, dean2926 said:

The old age pension rate in Australia is reduced when you marry.

A pension for a couple is not twice that of a single person.

This is regardless of their nationality.

Being Thai has nothing to do with it.

But if you marry a Thai, and she is NOT an Australian Citizen then you DO NOT get a couple pension.

You only get a SINGLE pension.

I know this because i asked centrelink.

1 minute ago, bridge2bridge said:

But if you marry a Thai, and she is NOT an Australian Citizen then you DO NOT get a couple pension.

If this is correct then the Australian Government owes me many thousands of Dollars. Secondly do no believe what one person at centrelink  tells you. Go to 10 Centrelink offices and you will get 10 different answers 

You can apply to Centrelink for an exemption to being treated as a couple and remain on a single person's payment if you can show your wife has no income.

I've found that while it is possible to conceal a marriage while living overseas it all goes bad if you decide to return to Australia and obtain a visa for your wife.

Immigration DOES have a direct line to Centrelink.

7 minutes ago, bridge2bridge said:

Under the Act you are placed on half the couples payment.

This is considerably less than a single payment.

As I said in my previous post, you can apply for an exemption if your wife has no income.

10 minutes ago, bridge2bridge said:

My experience was/is that as soon as Centrelink is informed that you have a partner/wife your pension will be reduced-in line with other posters experience on this subject.

I am about to apply for an "exemption" and will see what happens...

Edited by Odysseus123
2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

My experience was/is that as soon as Centrelink is informed that you have a partner/wife your pension will be reduced-in line with other posters experience on this subject.

I am about to apply for an "exemption" and will see what happens...

Please let me know by PM what happens