SETV in HCMC anyone?

Sorry, if this particular topic has been discussed at nausea, but I am planning a visa trip to HCMC. The following questions came up:

1. Apply in person or via an agent? What is the turnaround time for either?

2. How to travel to the Thailand consulate from HCMC District 1?

3. How does the Vietnam tourist visa work: similar to airport arrival in Laos and Cambodia? Or is it, perhaps, better to apply for the visa in Bangkok?

1. Apply in person. As far as I know, you cannot use an agent, and the application is not time consuming.

2. Normal is to take a taxi. Research the recommended taxi companies (and how to recognize fakes).

3. What is your nationality? Many nationals can get visa exempt entry into Vietnam.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

3. What is your nationality? Many nationals can get visa exempt entry into Vietnam.

Wow, good news! Seems that I won't need one.

Nationals of certain countries may visit Vietnam without visa for a period of time, hereunder is the list of countries and regions that have visa exemption arrangements with Vietnam.

Updates 08-June-2017: Citizens of Germany, United Kingdom, France, Italy and Spain holding are exempted a Vietnam visa for 15 days.

Areas Countries Term of residence
Asia

Singapore

less than 30 days

Thailand

less than 30 days

Malaysia

less than 30 days

Philippines

less than 21 days

Laos

less than 30 days

Indonesia

less than 30 days

Japan

less than 15 days

South Korea

less than 15 days
Nordic

Sweden

less than 15 days

Finland

less than 15 days

Denmark

less than 15 days

Norway

less than 15 days
European 

Germany

less than 15 days

France

less than 15 days

Spain

less than 15 days

Italy and United Kingdom

less than 15 days

Edited by StayinThailand2much

Plenty of detailed  info if you use the search window.

But the answers are.

1/ Do it yourself. Super easy. I printed the forms out in

advance and filled them in before I got to the Thai consulate.

In at 10 am, out in 3 minutes, picked up my passport next

afternoon at 2 pm. 60 seconds in and out.

2/ Take a taxi, super cheap, your hotel will call/flag on down for you

The cost will be about 4 dollars from district 1

Use Vina Sun from the airport. They use the meter and are

both honest and reliable.

3/ Depends on you nationality. I have a UK passport so I

got a 2 week visa on arrival/visa exempt entry at no charge.

Many European countries get the same. If you are staying longer

than two weeks you will have to get a visa.

• Like 1

Did it yesterday. The Thai Consular-General is walking distance from District 1. If you have Google Maps it is around 20 minute walk each way. Take the good advice of OP and take a VinaSun taxi. All other taxis have meters that spin at the speed of light and at the end you have to argue, fight or pay triple or more of the fare. I went by taxi to pick up my passport yesterday  as it was raining. The driver waited for me outside and the return trip was around $4. Opening hours are 8.30-11.30am and 1.30-3pm. Take Application form which you can download and print or they have copies there that you can fill out and lodge. Take US$40. They do not accept any other currency. Be smart and take the right money. One passport photo. Tickets showing entry and exit from Thailand. Copy of bank book or statement showing you have 20,000 baht or more to sustain yourself during the initial 60 days of the visa.

You leave your passport there overnight and collect it the following afternoon. The staff are super friendly and frightfully efficient. They all speak English. A very easy process compared to other countries.

The key is to take everything required. That makes it so easy. The day I lodged my application there was an American girl arguing that she did not want to purchase an outbound ticket from Thailand until after she completed a diving course. She also did not want to purchase and inbound ticket until the Visa Application was approved. She knew the rules but wanted to be excused from them. She held up the line for around 30 minutes and got absolutely no where.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, spambot said:

Here is a visit report with -  The Bus from airport and prices  - Walking instructions to Thai consulate after getting off the bus  - Process of applying for tourist visa - Experience and feelings.

I couldn't post one nearly as accurate as this - so won't even try, will only add, if you don't have an onward ticket, there is even an address of a booking agent on the window (it's around the corner) - this has to be the most friendly Consulate I have ever applied for a visa - I applied today, on Friday, was the only person in the office - they apologized for not being able to return my passport on Saturday  but I would have to come back on Monday  -  not a problem at all for me as I wanted to enjoy Saigon over the weekend.   

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 9/21/2017 at 9:49 PM, Currumbin said:

Did it yesterday. The Thai Consular-General is walking distance from District 1. If you have Google Maps it is around 20 minute walk each way. Take the good advice of OP and take a VinaSun taxi. All other taxis have meters that spin at the speed of light and at the end you have to argue, fight or pay triple or more of the fare. I went by taxi to pick up my passport yesterday  as it was raining. The driver waited for me outside and the return trip was around $4. Opening hours are 8.30-11.30am and 1.30-3pm. Take Application form which you can download and print or they have copies there that you can fill out and lodge. Take US$40. They do not accept any other currency. Be smart and take the right money. One passport photo. Tickets showing entry and exit from Thailand. Copy of bank book or statement showing you have 20,000 baht or more to sustain yourself during the initial 60 days of the visa.

You leave your passport there overnight and collect it the following afternoon. The staff are super friendly and frightfully efficient. They all speak English. A very easy process compared to other countries.

The key is to take everything required. That makes it so easy. The day I lodged my application there was an American girl arguing that she did not want to purchase an outbound ticket from Thailand until after she completed a diving course. She also did not want to purchase and inbound ticket until the Visa Application was approved. She knew the rules but wanted to be excused from them. She held up the line for around 30 minutes and got absolutely no where.

Hi, good info. Did they ask for proof of accommodation in Thailand? Like hotel booking or rental contract?

On 9/22/2017 at 5:41 AM, TunnelRat69 said:

I couldn't post one nearly as accurate as this - so won't even try, will only add, if you don't have an onward ticket, there is even an address of a booking agent on the window (it's around the corner) - this has to be the most friendly Consulate I have ever applied for a visa - I applied today, on Friday, was the only person in the office - they apologized for not being able to return my passport on Saturday  but I would have to come back on Monday  -  not a problem at all for me as I wanted to enjoy Saigon over the weekend.   

Hi, good info. Did they ask for proof of accommodation in Thailand? Like hotel booking or rental contract?