Thaksin Pays $115 Mln For Liverpool

george

Thai Premier Pays $115 Mln for Liverpool Stake, Thai Rath Says

BANGKOK: -- A group of Thai businessmen headed up by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has agreed to pay 4.6 billion baht ($115 million) for a stake of about 30 percent in English Premiership soccer club Liverpool, Thai Rath newspaper reported on its Web site, citing Deputy Commerce Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal.

The deal will be signed tomorrow in Bangkok, Pongsak was quoted as saying. Pongsak represented the Thais in negotiations with Liverpool's management, the newspaper said.

Thaksin wants Liverpool to help promote professional soccer in Thailand, it said.

Thaksin on March 17 denied newspaper reports saying he was in talks to buy shares in Liverpool. His family was ranked the second richest in Thailand, with a net worth of $1 billion in 2002, according to Forbes Magazine.

(Thai Rath, 5-9; Web site www.thairath.co.th)

--Bloomberg.com 2004-05-09

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai RAK Thai= Buy England= Thaksin getting a cut off each bet when they legalize gambling on sports.

Hope they do not mind wearing political campaign adds along with thai language advertising. His daughter does not need that education she will only need a couple

gambling dens.

Update:

Thai PM stays mum on Liverpool purchase

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was tight-lipped on Sunday after being asked about a report that he was going to buy a stake in English premier league club Liverpool.

"I can't say anything yet. That would be poor etiquette," Thaksin, a billionaire telecom tycoon-turned-politician, told reporters while playing golf.

A report in the Thai-language Thai Rath newspaper quoted Deputy Commerce Minister Pongsak Ruktapongpisal as saying Thaksin would sign a deal on Monday to buy a 30 percent stake in Liverpool for 4.6 billion baht ($115.7 million).

The deal would entitle him and his partners to commercial rights in Asia. Liverpool would also set up a soccer academy in Thailand and help with the country's professional league, the paper said.

Liverpool would fly a representative to sign the deal on Monday, the paper added.

PONGSAK DENIAL

But Pongsak, who was playing golf with the prime minister on Sunday, told Reuters he gave no such interview.

"I'll admit there have been negotiations but no agreement has been reached, so how can they sign a deal on Monday?", he said.

Thaksin declared an interest in buying a stake in Liverpool in February after his bid for English premier league rivals Fulham failed last year.

Thai media have reported that local beer baron Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi was also keen on joining Thaksin in the Liverpool bid.

The Thai Rath report on Sunday said Thaksin would set up a company with private partners for the soccer purchase.

Thaksin, estimated to be worth $1 billion by Forbes magazine in 2002, watched the value of his family's holdings soar along with a surging Thai stock market last year.

The family controls Thailand's largest telecom group, Shin Corp SHIN.BK , which has interests ranging from television to the Internet.

Charoen is a major shareholder in Thai beer maker Thai Beverages, which produces top-selling Chang Beer and several brands of whisky such as Mekhong and Saeng Som, and makes a profit of more than $250 million a year.

($1=39.75 Baht)

--Reuters 2004-05-09

Wow all sorts of ideas come to mind.......

Great move to benefit the people of Thailand. Nice one TS.

Liverpool will have to come here a lot and overall footballing standards should increase as academys are set up to benefit particularly the less fortunate in Thai society.

Wow that is a great vision and i am well pleased TS has the insight and courage to do such a great thing.

The Sun and the Daily Mirror where a few reporters work that 'may be' friends of those to from the Far EasternReview that had a few problems last year are on the telephone as i write this looking for "quotes from our source".

On the phone to the two reporters not me:-)

British newspapers will save on printing as the headlines. "Liverpool win". will be the same every week as it will be impossible to report a loss.....presumably.

Advertising revenues will go up in EVERY British newspaper:-) harder to get that one?

Oh it is bliss, endless bliss.....

CT

I must admit it is pretty impressive if is true. As rich as Michael Jordan is, he is not able to open a crack big enough to buy an NBA team. It's not about $$ but some sort of prestige thing. Just wondering if all the money comes from Taksin and his group or is part coming from government investment as well?

And don't forget this will give him access to thousands of Rai of prime British real estate that he can make more profitable by converting it into bar-beers, thai chef training camps, condos and the like

Watch also for Shin going after chunks of UK mobile phone companies - this is just a toe in the door and a huge slap in the face to all those who want to own land in Thailand but can't because of their country of birth .... and here I'm talking about owning it in your own name free and clear of nominee Thais.

With such a prominent "business" in his portfolio, and so much disposable cash, what's the odds he goes on a buying spree?

send the scouts to pattaya quickly, there is a young boy (about 10) who goes to walking st everynight (egged on by his dad) and performs tricks etc, kick ups, balancing the ball, the ball skill he has is amazing.

did anyone see the early film of beckham when he was about 12, this kid is better.

Would this talented (heresay) lad be able to get a visa and work perminute fairly quickly if he went to play for Liverpool:-) :o Need a 'tongue in cheek smilie"

Will Gerrard and co be able to stay in say Chiangmai for as long as they wanted as members of the soon to be formed? Chiangmai Chargers, or did i see Chaingmai (over) Chargers.

Where's that tongue in cheek smilie.........

CT

Yup, Khun T can just do whatever he wants. Not even the slightest attempt to distance himself anymore. Shame, because the flimsey attempts to distance his biz empire from government were usually worth a good laugh. But I notice a lot of expats - including me - aren't smiling so much anymore. It is starting to become, as one friend said, 'scary' here. :o

Update:

Reds quiet on Thai link

Liverpool have refused to comment on a newspaper report claiming that Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is to buy a 30% stake in the club.

The Sunday Express reports that Shinawatra will sign a deal tomorrow after agreeing to invest £65 million in the club.

Thailand's Deputy Minister of Commerce, Pongsak Ruktapongpisal, is quoted as saying: "We will sign the contracts with Liverpool's representatives on Monday, although the place is not yet known.

"I also want to assure you that the money comes from the Prime Minister himself - not from public funds.

"Mr Thaksin is determined to raise the standards of Thai football once the signing is complete."

The deal would involve the establishment of a Liverpool academy in Bangkok and increase the club's commercial opportunities in Asia.

BBC Radio Five Live, however, reports the club will not be commenting on the story.

--sportinglife.com 2004-05-09

Dear Mr Prime Minister,

I read with interest that you are now in a position of power at Liverpool FC, (as well as in many other places) I wondered if you would consider my application as Manager as I am sure that you will agree that Mr.Houllier's tenure is unsustainable given the team's poor performance this season. I have a lot of experience in Managing sucessful teams and we would have no problem with me communicating your wishes for what is to happen on the pitch as I speak good Thai,(When we play ARSENAL we will bring our own)!

I think I will , more than most know how you will want to GET THE JOB DONE!

Please cosider me

Yours sincerely,

PETER WITHE :o

Thai PM promises to discuss Liverpool report

BANGKOK: -- Thailand Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has promised to reveal details shortly about a report that he is going to buy a stake in Liverpool football club.

"Next week there will be bigger news. There will be a lot more details and then I will tell you about it," Thaksin, a billionaire telecom tycoon-turned-politician, told reporters after playing golf on Sunday. "I can't say anything today."

--Reuters 2004-05-09

Does all this mean that Liverpool supporters will now be able to invest, and buy property in Thailand?? :o How about some reciprocation Mr. Shi######?

"Watch also for Shin going after chunks of UK mobile phone companies - this is just a toe in the door and a huge slap in the face to all those who want to own land in Thailand but can't because of their country of birth .... and here I'm talking about owning it in your own name free and clear of nominee Thais."

Just wondering if all the money comes from Taksin and his group or is part coming from government investment as well?

We can't know whether he is using any "government" money but we do know that, once again, he, like many of his peers, is using and relocating a very large sum of money generated from profits made within Thailand out of the country and that capital will never be seen in Thailand again. It will take somthing like 40,000 to 50,000 tourists to bring that hard currency money back to Thailand.

I wonder what sort of rates Toxin got at the money exchanger?

Johpa