Officials come up with 20-year plan for Bt2.7 trillion worth of railway projects

Jonathan Fairfield

Officials come up with 20-year plan for Bt2.7 trillion worth of railway projects

n6.jpeg

THE OFFICE of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning (OTP) has formulated a 20-year framework for 38 rail transport projects worth Bt2.7 trillion to boost the country’s transport efficiency.

The massive investment would result in an estimated economic return of Bt400 billion annually with big savings in transport costs, time and less pollution, the OTP said. Chayatham Phomsorn, the deputy OTP director, told a seminar yesterday that multiple rail projects are designed to support special economic zones, tourism and other national development plans between now and 2036 with a focus on linking passenger and cargo transport lines. 

The programme covers 16 double-tracked rail routes with a total length of 2,777 kilometres. The projects will increase transport efficiency by removing bottlenecks at the existing Chaserngsao-Khaeng Khoi, Jira-Khon Kaen, Hua Hin-Prachuab Kiri Khan sections, among others. The programme includes 14 new routes of one-metre-gauge railways with a total length of 2,352km. Among these projects are the Den Chai-Chiang Khong  and Ban Phai-Nakhon Phanom routes.

High-speed projects

There are also eight standard-gauge railway projects with a total length of 2,457km, including high-speed train routes from Bangkok to Rayong, Bangkok to Nakorn Ratchasima, Bangkok to Hua Hin, and Bangkok to Phitsanulok. The programme includes construction of container yards at select locations such as Wa Kor and Nong Pla Duk to support distribution of goods and other logistic operations. 

It also aims to implement electrification of existing railway systems. To fund these projects, the government would be responsible for a combined investment of Bt1.97 trillion out of the overall Bt2.7-trillion investment, while the private sector is expected to invest a combined Bt729 billion. Annually, the government’s share of total investment is projected to be Bt98 billion while the private sector’s share is Bt36 billion. 

The economic return on investment is estimated to be Bt408 billion per year, including a combined savings of Bt158 billion in transportation costs and a time savings equivalent to Bt94 billion.

n7.jpeg

n8.jpeg

n9.jpeg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/business/30327450

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-23

What is 'standard guage' for Thailand. Most of the rest of the world it is 4 feet 8.5 inches. I think this would better suit the high speed rail projects as it provides better distribution  of centre of gravity.

I can see opposition due to a change like this but even in Bangkok I can see three different rolling stock on the BTS alone.

2 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

And have they figured out how to come up with monies outside of bending over and brown nosing someone north of the border.:passifier:

Edited by khwaibah

Speaking of 20 year plans I wonder how Prayut's 20 year plan to end corruption is going? We're into the second year now.

Thailand's military can have as many 20 year plans as it cares to dream about. Getting things happening and started is the big challenge. The military is very good at creating the dreams and telling everyone about them but seemingly hopeless at getting anything done themselves. The country needs doers not dreamers.

Everything seems to take decades of discussions, meetings, conferences, committees and sub-committees not to mention plenty of ass covering, commissions organised and immunities put in place before anything starts to happen. Having one of the largest black economies in the world doesn't help.

Anyhow I wish them luck and good speed.

4 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

What is 'standard guage' for Thailand. Most of the rest of the world it is 4 feet 8.5 inches. I think this would better suit the high speed rail projects as it provides better distribution  of centre of gravity.

I can see opposition due to a change like this but even in Bangkok I can see three different rolling stock on the BTS alone.

Current gauge is 1 meter but intention is to upgrade to International gauge during implementation of the projects

4 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

1435 standard gauge  and proper high-speed 250kpn + is always on standard gauge

Edited by Dave67

Like the ferry in Pattaya hugely over priced will be the result here. Huge burden on the budget when people  don't use it.

By the way who can make a 20 year plan ? There is to be elections and possibly a new PM..He or She may have other ideas. To date the current government spending has been pure stupidity.

Another project to get Thai thinking Prayut is here until his on is death bed lol.

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Speaking of 20 year plans I wonder how Prayut's 20 year plan to end corruption is going? We're into the second year now.

Thailand's military can have as many 20 year plans as it cares to dream about. Getting things happening and started is the big challenge. The military is very good at creating the dreams and telling everyone about them but seemingly hopeless at getting anything done themselves. The country needs doers not dreamers.

Everything seems to take decades of discussions, meetings, conferences, committees and sub-committees not to mention plenty of ass covering, commissions organised and immunities put in place before anything starts to happen. Having one of the largest black economies in the world doesn't help.

Anyhow I wish them luck and good speed.

His just trying to brain wash Thais so that they believe his all they have. He never reformed nothing and done nothing but yap. He won't get elected the odds are well against him. Even with fake news and polls.

27 minutes ago, Media1 said:

His just trying to brain wash Thais so that they believe his all they have. He never reformed nothing and done nothing but yap. He won't get elected the odds are well against him. Even with fake news and polls.

He doesn't need to be elected.

The electoral odds are against him, yes but as he won't need electoral approval to remain in power that doesn't matter. He is staying. 

He fancies a really good trainset - ThB12.7 trillion's worth.... 

Edited by JAG

This all fits with Parkinsons Law and the Thai military.. 

"work expands to fill the time available for its completion," and that a sufficiently large bureaucracy will generate enough internal work to keep itself 'busy' and so justify its continued existence without commensurate output.

So with all the military dreaming and conferences and lavish weekend workfests. Absolutely nothing will happen.

But it will keep the military gainfully employed nodding their heads and scratching their collective asses to produce zero.

6 hours ago, Cadbury said:

This all fits with Parkinsons Law and the Thai military.. 

"work expands to fill the time available for its completion," and that a sufficiently large bureaucracy will generate enough internal work to keep itself 'busy' and so justify its continued existence without commensurate output.

Add in the Peter Principle and the description fits perfectly.

"In any Hierarchic Organisation all Employees will rise to their Level of Incompetence."

19 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Current gauge is 1 meter but intention is to upgrade to International gauge during implementation of the projects

No it is not. The plan is to have separate systems on different gauges.

"The programme includes 14 new routes of one-metre-gauge railways with a total length of 2,352km..........There are also eight standard-gauge railway projects with a total length of 2,457km..."