O Visa at Savannakhet

Greetings:

I am currently on a non-O marriage visa extension, and my year is up on Nov. 7th.  I would just extend it again, but I recently lost my job and will have no income this month besides ~35k baht I transfer from the USA for my expenses.   I have heard that proof of income is not neccessary at Savannakhet, is this still the case?  If so, I plan to go obtain a new 3 month O visa there.  I do not have 800000 baht in the bank.

4 minutes ago, PhuketAmerican said:

thank you, I am coming from phuket and trying to save money, looking at bus to BKK and then the nok air flight+van to Mukdahan and then over to Savannakhet, do you know of a better option?

No, but others may, I park up at the bridge...You must work out time schedules..The bus at the bridge can be a pain, l waited over an hour once. When you get over the bridge you must fill out the Lao visa forms which may take a little time....

Probably best to not worry is get to the border and stay there over night just in case a time problem on the way..

26 minutes ago, PhuketAmerican said:

I do not have 800000 baht in the bank.

Not for the visa. For an extension of stay based upon marriage the requirement it is only 400k baht in the bank for 2 months. The 800k baht is for a retirement extension.

17 minutes ago, PhuketAmerican said:

thank you, I am coming from phuket and trying to save money, looking at bus to BKK and then the nok air flight+van to Mukdahan and then over to Savannakhet, do you know of a better option?

31 minutes ago, PhuketAmerican said:

If so, I plan to go obtain a new 3 month O visa there.

If you only plan on getting a single entry non-o visa you can get one in Vientiane with no financial proof. 

Air Asia has flights from Phuket to Udon Thani. You can get a van from the airport in Udon to the bridge in Nong Khai for around 200 baht.

59 minutes ago, transam said:

Correct...Get there early-ish, they close the gates at about 11.30am for applications, you collect your PP the next day at 2pm...

Unless recently changed, the deadline for applications in Savannakhet is 11:00 am.

58 minutes ago, PhuketAmerican said:

If really counting the pennies, take an overnight bus from Bangkok to Mukdahan. This will mean you only need to pay for one night in the hotel in Savannakhet rather than two. You might choose to use the Nok Air fly-ride service on your return, though, if you wish to get an early morning bus from Bangkok (Southern bus station) to Phuket. I believe there are buses leaving between around 5:00 and 7:00 am.

3 hours ago, PhuketAmerican said:

Would a multiple entry O allow me more time in the country?

3 hours ago, transam said:

Correct...But you must do a boarder run ever 90 days..

At the end of any 90 day stay you can apply for a 60 day extension (or 1 year extension).

To get the maximum time from this visa (almost 17 months) you need to make a final entry on, or as close to, the 'enter before' date (visas expiry) as you can to receive a final 90 day permit to stay, and then apply for 60 day extension of stay.

If you stay in the country using this visa you should avoid mentioning to immigration that you do so because you can't meet the financial requirements of an extension of stay.

Edited by elviajero

6 minutes ago, elviajero said:

If you stay in the country using this visa you should avoid mentioning to immigration that you do so because you can't meet the financial requirements of an extension of stay.

Thats simply not correct at all your take on it only.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andsky said:

Why can you not do a normal 90 day report? Is this the case for Vientiane and Savannakhet?

If you mean doing a report of staying longer than 90 days in the country that is not an extension of your stay. With a multiple entry non-o visa you only get a 90 entry.