Work permit from agency

I'm with an agency from Bangkok which sent me to a school in another province.  My work permit and visa is from Bangkok, my paperwork prepared by the agency.

Now the agency says there's a new rule from the labour office that allows a second location in the work permit for 3 months only, after that you would have to apply again.

Means my visa and work permit need to be registered in my province. My school said there's no new rule and wants me to stay with the agency. No one in my school has experience with the paperwork involved.

Anyone heard of this new rule?

There is no rule about working in 2 different provinces. Work Permits are province specific. Your agency are lying to you.

You need to speak to your agency. Even if you were still in Bangkok, the name of the school in the work permit is where you should be teaching

Then both locations must be in Bangkok.

By the way....most agencies cannot apply for a work permit as they do not have the required Thai to Foreigner ratio.

I suggest you get someone, not the agency, to check the Thai script. Something sounds strange here.

17 minutes ago, puchooay said:

A work permit permit can be issued with 2nd (or more) work place shown on that is outside the province where it was issued. In fact some people have work permits issued that states that they can work at various locations in the country without a location being mentioned.

As far as I know there is no 3 month limit on them.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A work permit permit can be issued with 2nd (or more) work place shown on that is outside the province where it was issued. In fact some people have work permits issued that states that they can work at various locations in the country without a location being mentioned.

As far as I know there is no 3 month limit on them.

I have been refused just that on several occasions. Always told work permits are province specific.

4 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I have been refused just that on several occasions. Always told work permits are province specific.

My work permit was issued here in Chiangmai - but, it has one of our offices (Phuket) also listed on it.  "Branch" office of the main company or something along those lines.

3 hours ago, puchooay said:

By the way....most agencies cannot apply for a work permit as they do not have the required Thai to Foreigner ratio.

I suggest you get someone, not the agency, to check the Thai script. Something sounds strange here.

Teaching agencies have different rules - you might have guessed that - unless you work for an agency with 400 Thais !

45 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

Teaching agencies have different rules - you might have guessed that - unless you work for an agency with 400 Thais !

They don't have different rules.

The agencies get round it by using contracts from the schools for work permits. I have worked for agencies but the address of place of work has always been the school.

Edited by puchooay
  • Thanks 1

The Labour Office can, at their own discretion, decide whether to issue a less-than-1-year wp. Our teachers often get only 6 months initially even though their contract is for the academic year. It's quite possible that they could issue a 3-month wp especially if the agency has a history of applying for wps and then teachers leaving before the end of their contract.

An agency can issue as many wps as it wants if it is licensed as a school by the MoE. 'ratios' apply to companies employing foreigners, not licensed schools. The placement school would be the second location in the wp.

An agency can also just piggyback the school license of where it places teachers. Then the employer would be the placement school.

Edited by Loaded
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Loaded said:

The Labour Office can, at their own discretion, decide whether to issue a less-than-1-year wp. Our teachers often get only 6 months initially even though their contract is for the academic year. It's quite possible that they could issue a 3-month wp especially if the agency has a history of applying for wps and then teachers leaving before the end of their contract.

An agency can issue as many wps as it wants if it is licensed as a school by the MoE. 'ratios' apply to companies employing foreigners, not licensed schools. The placement school would be the second location in the wp.

An agency can also just piggyback the school license of where it places teachers. Then the employer would be the placement school.

Point taken but, how many agencies would go through the rigmarole of becoming a licenced school?

Most people involved with teaching know that there are things going on between different entities. I know of a couple of guys who have been teaching via an agency for over 10 years. No teaching licence but the waivers keep on coming. !!!