Australian man arrested with 26 iPhone smart phones at Suvarnabhumi airport

webfact

4 minutes ago, Toshiba66 said:

Not with one phone surely but 26 of them...................

So if a farang has 26 Thai children (don't ask me how but it's possible) is he not allowed to bring 26 new iphones 8 for them from abroad?

I mean, where can we read about the rules what we are allowed to bring in and what not? Afaik it's about value and the max. is 10-20.000 baht we can bring into the country....even one new iphone 7 already exceeds that amount so in fact every person coming into thailand with an iphone 7 is already offending the law, right?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

I wonder how he got hold of that many, or indeed any, iPhone X's, they're not being sold until November.

The vendors at Tucom Pattaya sell fake iPhones made in China, but, one vendor told me that they only sell the fakes to Russians, for reasons known to most.

2 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Thanks, I think we all know that an i phone is a 'smart phone'

Not as smart as the parent company, Apple. They can cream millions of $ off slavish followers. Maybe the 'Australian' guy wanted to do the same. That's free enterprise for you. :smile:

My view is , that man using 26 home addresss to buy bill iphones of $40  a month each  then eloped to Thailand without paying the rest of all those monthly payments . He goes to Tuk com shop  to unlock all those iPhones and sell them a bargain prices to Thai public or to Expat .  What a smart Ozzie kid .

38 minutes ago, Thian said:
  31 minutes ago, Boycie said:

The iPhone series 8 has not yet received permission to be sold or used in Thailand, so possession of the device was against the law.

My thai isn't great but its the information i got from the news report

Surely he was odds on to try and set up a phone call/con centre here and had users already here on "other ASEAN" tourist visas waiting for them.  I doubt that he brought them here to sell.  Did any one in police/Immigration (same department), think to have a quick shooftie at the place he gave on his form as intended place to stay?   If it was BS then they have one more thing on him.  If it is an empty room with or without 26 desks and chairs,  well.............. 

If they really were 8's or even "copies" he may well have been trying to sell them,...  in Singapore?? After spending a couple of nights relaxing in BKK.

Edited by The Deerhunter

7 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Surely he was odds on to try and set up a phone call/con centre here and had users already here on "other ASEAN" tourist visas waiting for them.  I doubt that he brought them here to sel

I doubt anyone would use the latest $1200 Iphone to set up a call center, because with a $100 phone you can also make calls.

10 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Surely he was odds on to try and set up a phone call/con centre here and had users already here on "other ASEAN" tourist visas waiting for them.  I doubt that he brought them here to sell.  Did any one in police/Immigration (same department), think to have a quick shooftie at the place he gave on his form as intended place to stay?   If it was BS then they have one more thing on him.  If it is an empty room with or without 26 desks and chairs,  well.............. 

What a bizarre idea, who would use iPhones for a call center, and even if they did use mobiles why oh why would they buy the latest model?  Obviously they were for sale, they are worth a lot of money!

Apparently the guy was not charged for smuggling the iPhones to Thailand.  If you click on the link to the article from Thai PBS, you can furthermore read the following, which may make more or less sense: 

"Customs officials however filed a charge of violating the Telecommunications Act and an announcement of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission."

Why not charge him for smuggling?

9 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

What a bizarre idea, who would use iPhones for a call center, and even if they did use mobiles why oh why would they buy the latest model?  Obviously they were for sale, they are worth a lot of money!

Presumably for sale somewhere if they were "Genuine 8's."   They were reported as X's which they cannot be so all bets are off till they are confirmed as even genuine 8's and not copies, or old 4's (or worse) in a new case or something.  The possible factory sample mentioned in another post is an option.  Which country did he arrive from?   That is significant.  26 new I-phones from Aussie to Asia.  Coal to Newcastle?  Who knows till reliable info comes..  I will wait & see.  

Edited by The Deerhunter

9 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Presumably for sale somewhere if they were "Genuine 8's."   They were reported as X's which they cannot be so all bets are off till they are confirmed as even genuine 8's and not copies, or old 4's (or worse) in a new case or something.  The possible factory sample mentioned in another post is an option.  Which country did he arrive from?   That is significant.  26 new I-phones from Aussie to Asia.  Coal to Newcastle?  Who knows till reliable info comes..  I will wait & see.  

Fake phones is obviously a possibility, most likely if they actually are marked as iPhone X's, poor reporting is another option.  But call centers is a long shot to say the very least, they tend to use internet calls as then they can disguise their location by displaying a number from another country, plus the calls are virtually free and they do not have to keep typing in numbers into a touch screen.

6 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Fake phones is obviously a possibility, most likely if they actually are marked as iPhone X's, poor reporting is another option.  But call centers is a long shot to say the very least, they tend to use internet calls as then they can disguise their location by displaying a number from another country, plus the calls are virtually free and they do not have to keep typing in numbers into a touch screen.

I am guilty of not believing Thai Journalism if not more!!!!   I always imagined these criminal call centres would be using smartphones on one of the VOIP aps & an all you can eat wifi connection with or without a VPN.  Not sitting holding a phone on a cord. 

Edited by The Deerhunter

6 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

I am guilty of not believing Thai Journalism if not more!!!!   I always imagined these criminal call centres would be using smartphones on one of the VOIP aps & an all you can eat wifi connection with or without a VPN.  Not sitting holding a phone on a cord. 

Ever heard of headsets?  I suspect the criminal call centers appear just as the non criminal call centers do, with computers and headsets.

7 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Ever heard of headsets?  I suspect the criminal call centers appear just as the non criminal call centers do, with computers and headsets.

Of course but one Wifi antenna and a bunch of smartphone and /or some notebooks would be cheaper to set up and easier to deny, hide or move.  The cheaper, simpler and smaller the better if you may have to move at 5 mins notice from a room in Chiang Mai to another in Non Khai or Surin.  A few years ago yes, but as I said, I imagined the newer smaller tech would be the way they were going now.  That is the way I would try to do it if it was possible and I assume it is.

If the guy had been bringing in a single i-Phone, whatever the model, Customs would have just waved him through. 26 of them means the officials have quite correctly interpreted his actions as being for commercial purposes.

Rather dumb to think the airport scanners would not pick them up.