30 Visa Problem

I will over-stay the 30 limit for the tourist visa by 2 days; we will be in Chiang Mai; I am curious if there is a 2-3 day trip out of the country so I can get around applying for the Tourist Visa at the Embassy in DC; i.e., entering and exisitng twice; looking at the map Myanmar may be a possibility, but may not be a good place to visit at this time; has anyone ever done this?  Any suggestions?

I have only overstayed once, and for only 1 day (actually <12 hours) my visa renewal date was a Thai holiday the following morning I mmig refused my extension as I overstayed.  I was fined by immigration when leaving the DMK airport for Cambodia. I had a 2 entry 60 day visa at the time so did not need to extend my tourist visa. It has been a couple of years, but I believe the fine for overstay is ฿2000 base plus a certain amount per day. Over so many days overstay one is denied re-entry for a set period. 

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I have only overstayed once, and for only 1 day (actually <12 hours) my visa renewal date was a Thai holiday the following morning I mmig refused my extension as I overstayed.  I was fined by immigration when leaving the DMK airport for Cambodia. I had a 2 entry 60 day visa at the time so did not need to extend my tourist visa. It has been a couple of years, but I believe the fine for overstay is ฿2000 base plus a certain amount per day. Over so many days overstay one is denied re-entry for a set period. 

For an overstay of 24 hours or less then there is no fine if departing from the major airports, it is 500 THB for everyday after that up to a maximum of 20,000 THB, so for example, a four day overstay would be a 2,000 THB fine.

A ban on entry only applies for overstay of 90 days or more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mattd said:

For an overstay of 24 hours or less then there is no fine if departing from the major airports, it is 500 THB for everyday after that up to a maximum of 20,000 THB, so for example, a four day overstay would be a 2,000 THB fine.

A ban on entry only applies for overstay of 90 days or more.

Thanks for the clarification. I do recall it took me a couple of days to make arrangements to fly to Siam Reap. As I stated it was a couple of years ago. 

10 hours ago, patricia carter said:

I will over-stay the 30 limit for the tourist visa by 2 days; we will be in Chiang Mai; I am curious if there is a 2-3 day trip out of the country so I can get around applying for the Tourist Visa at the Embassy in DC; i.e., entering and exisitng twice; looking at the map Myanmar may be a possibility, but may not be a good place to visit at this time; has anyone ever done this?  Any suggestions?

Many posters do not provide complete info to enable informed responses - in this case we do not know if Poster has already entered Thailand by land twice using visa exemptions

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you writing about getting a 30 day visa exempt entry when you arrive it can be extended for 30 days at an immigration office.

That is good news; I have gotten nowhere here in the US dealing with the Thai Embassy in DC; thank you so much....it's only 2 days and the change fee with the air lines is very expensive.

14 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I have only overstayed once, and for only 1 day (actually <12 hours) my visa renewal date was a Thai holiday the following morning I mmig refused my extension as I overstayed.

That is very abnormal. Usually, if you go to immigration of the first day they are open after your permission to stay expires, they will give you the extension. Extensions are always technically "at the discretion of the official", but they are usually automatic in that situation. Are you sure the reason for the denial is as you outlined? More likely would be that you had already extended that entry (or the official thought you had) or that you somehow put the official's nose out of joint, leading him to demonstrate his power in this matter.