US Form 1040 Preparation

Can anyone recommend/suggest a qualified person to prepare a US Form 1040 (for 2016) which is due by 15th October? I am aware of Turbo Tax, and I may use that in the future, but given the shortness of time, I would appreciate getting this done without delay. Thanks for any suggestions/recommendations of someone (preferably in Thailand) that can help me.  

Probably there is someone in Thailand who can prepare your taxes, but why look here where such people are scarce and therefore more expensive.  Tax preparers are a dime a dozen in the US and presumably many of them can manage a Skype conversation.  Is there any particular reason that you would need ever to be in the same room with your tax preparer?

What do you think a google search on "us tax preparer expats" would turn up?

3 hours ago, CaptHaddock said:

Probably there is someone in Thailand who can prepare your taxes, but why look here where such people are scarce and therefore more expensive.  Tax preparers are a dime a dozen in the US and presumably many of them can manage a Skype conversation.  Is there any particular reason that you would need ever to be in the same room with your tax preparer?

What do you think a google search on "us tax preparer expats" would turn up?

I have done the search and located several. They are pretty rigid in their approach and difficult to pin them down on fees. One sent the following response to my inquiry:

"Our procedure is as follows:: 

1.    We will prepare your return completely

2.    We will upload a results letter, the bill and a summary of your return in a PDF file to your directory on the portal.

3.    You pay the bill in full AND Notify us of your payment, how much and where sent.

4.    We acknowledge your payment by uploading Form 8879 Signature page and a PDF copy of your return to the portal.

5.    YOU approve your return and authorize us to Efile your return by signing the Form 8879 and returning it to us.

6.    AFTER we receive your signed Form 8879 we will:

a.     Efile your return

b.    Print a hard copy

c.     Upload a final PDF copy to the portal

d.    Mail your printed copy via EMS (EMS Mailing outside of Thailand requires a 600baht mailing fee)."

This doesn't work for those of us in Thailand that own our homes via a Thai company, which requires a Form 5471 to be filed as an attachment to the Form 1040 and it cannot be filed electronically. Not sure what this guy will do, but his process doesn't seem to be flexible or accommodating. I have asked for the fee and have gotten no response thus far. And if I wait 1 week, I will be at his mercy given the time remaining until the Form is due to be filed.  And while they are "scarce"/non-existent, my experience is that they are less expensive that those that hold themselves out as tax professionals in the US. YMMV. 

If I cannot quickly find someone in Thailand, I will use a CPA in the US, and start earlier next year with TurboTax in hand. If someone uses and can recommend a tax preparer in the US, I will very much appreciate having his/her contact information.  

6 minutes ago, Rhys said:

They are expensive.. on line it is about 300 USD..

"They" means who? One of the big accounting firms in Bangkok? Of course, they are expensive and the same firm would be equally (or more) expensive in the US. But if there is an independent, retired CPA living in Thailand who is looking to augment his income, I expect his fees will be pretty reasonable. There was one in Chiang Mai that many TV members used but unfortunately he passed away. His fees were very reasonable and he was easy to deal with. And, there may not be any others in Thailand who are capable of preparing a Form 1040. And I have not found anyone that offers a $300 fee to prepare a Form 1040, and I fear that it will be "bait and switch" if you do ("that is for a 1040EZ, and your's is sooo complicated -- +++"). So, any recommendation for someone that is known to be good/reliable/honest/reasonable living anywhere would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.  

• 4 months later...

I guess you can continue searching for replacement for Krebs or try one of the software packages you can use online or download.  I like TaxAct.

Another option If your income sources/finances are the same year to year then use your 2016 return as template and download forms from IRS form 2017 and complete yourself.  Most returns are the same except for amount changes from one year to the next.

• Like 2