PM calls on US to take its bombs back

geovalin

The Prime Minister yesterday urged the US to assist Cambodia in removing unexploded bombs that its forces dropped on the country during the Vietnam War, rather than focussing on finding the remains of missing American soldiers.

His call came as the Defence Ministry met yesterday to discuss what to do with two tear gas barrel bombs found in Svay Rieng province earlier this year, believed to have been dropped by the US in the 1970s. Speaking to about 10,000 garment workers in Phnom Penh, Mr Hun Sen said the US focusses on asking Cambodia to repay $500 million in war loans accrued during the Lon Nol era and on repatriating the remains of its troops, but fails to do anything to deal with the legacy of weapons it dropped on the country.

“They repeatedly demand Cambodia repay the loan, but do not bother to take back their bombs from Cambodia,” he said. “I hope the US government will consider this seriously. Do not just take the remains of your soldiers back from Cambodia, come and take the remaining bombs as well.” The Cambodian Mine Action Centre first discovered the two unexploded CS gas barrel bombs in Svay Rieng province early this year. One was found at a primary school and the other at a pagoda in Korki commune. However, CMAC was unable to safely remove or defuse them and was forced to leave the bombs where they were.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5083770/pm-calls-us-take-bombs-back/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 28/09

4 hours ago, cracker1 said:

I think if you borrow money and agree to repay the loan you should do so !

Of course but why not deduct the loan bill with the cleaning operations? And we not even talking about the build up fee's that the American's should pay for their illegal bombing.