Sentence Builder

In the Rai!

Hi All

Can someone give me a hand with the word 'move' and how it should be used.

How would I ask someone to move their car/bike a bit if blocking me in ?

Also for office/household use, "can you move the box over there,please"

Thanks

hi pilchard,

ขยับ kha-yap is a pretty useful word for this sort of thing. you can use it for both the examples and it covers moving something from inside (like a car), outside (like a box), part of the body (like a foot) and more.

คุญครับ, คุญช่วยขยับรถหน่อยได้ไหมครับ

khoon khrap, khoon chuay ka yap rot nawy dai mai khrap?

excuse me, could i ask you to move the car a little? (not a direct translation, but about that polite)

you can extend it if needed, instead of ka yap rot, ask them to ka yap whatever pai wherever and you're able to do just about anything. a good feature of using ka yap is you don't really need to know the appropriate verbs for lifting, driving, pushing, carrying, dragging, reversing and so on.

I can't find " คุญครับ, คุญช่วย " in any dictionary - I'm assuming that it should be " คุณครับ, คุณช่วย ". Am I right and if not, what does " คุญ " mean Thanks!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

Can someone give me a hand with the word 'move' and how it should be used.

How would I ask someone to move their car/bike a bit if blocking me in ?

Also for office/household use, "can you move the box over there,please"

Thanks

hi pilchard,

ขยับ kha-yap is a pretty useful word for this sort of thing. you can use it for both the examples and it covers moving something from inside (like a car), outside (like a box), part of the body (like a foot) and more.

คุญครับ, คุญช่วยขยับรถหน่อยได้ไหมครับ

khoon khrap, khoon chuay ka yap rot nawy dai mai khrap?

excuse me, could i ask you to move the car a little? (not a direct translation, but about that polite)

you can extend it if needed, instead of ka yap rot, ask them to ka yap whatever pai wherever and you're able to do just about anything. a good feature of using ka yap is you don't really need to know the appropriate verbs for lifting, driving, pushing, carrying, dragging, reversing and so on.

I can't find " คุญครับ, คุญช่วย " in any dictionary - I'm assuming that it should be " คุณครับ, คุณช่วย ". Am I right and if not, what does " คุญ " mean Thanks!

Yes, there's a typo from the poster.You assumed right it should read " คุณครับ, คุณข้วย ".

• 1 year later...
hi pilchard,

This word is also useful for telling your mrs to budge over a bit in bed

ขยับไปหน่อย

ka: yab[1] pbai noi[1]

'budge up a bit' {lit: move away a little}

Interestingly, if you want your sweetheart to move a little nearer it changes to

ขยับเข้ามาหน่อย

ka:yab[1] kao[2] mar noi[1]

'snuggle in a bit' {lit: move enter here a little}

:)

Edited by SoftWater

• 2 weeks later...

Okay...I have one. I learned this word yesterday:

ติว

[to] cram for an examination ; study ; mug up

I learned it in this context of a study group กลุ่มติวหนังสือ in what other ways can I use the word ติว ???

• 2 weeks later...

ติว

I learned it in this context of a study group กลุ่มติวหนังสือ in what other ways can I use the word ติว ???

Okay, I'll answer my own question... I'm further along in my book and have a few different examples (phrases) to share with ติว serving as both verb and adjective.

วันนี้เราต้องติวหนังสือ ตอนรวมกลุ่มติวกันใหม่ มารวมกลุ่มติวหนังสือกันพวกเราไหม

ติว

I believe the word has English origin "tuition".

You can say

ผมจะไปติวหนังสือก่อนสอบ I will go to study before the exam.

ผมจะช่วยติววิชานี้ให้ I will help and guide you through this subject.

may i request for example sentences with this 2 words..? many thanks..

สละโสด and ใจหวั่นไหว

พอผมเห็นเธอถอดเสื้อผ้าก็อดใจหวั่นไหวไม่ได้ สุดท้ายแล้วผมคงต้องสละโสดแต่งงานกับเธอ

When I saw her removing her clothe, I could not help but having my heart tremble. In the end I will have to abandon my bachelor-ship and marry her.

• 1 month later...
Here is a good one that I like and hope I will get to see other examples of how others use it in a sentence.

ยับยั้งใจ = I always used this as "will power" or "resist" or "hold back" or "cant stop myself"

Example of how I use it. If you are eating a lot and people are laughing because you cant stop, you can say ยับยั้งใจไม่ได้ I cant stop/ I cant resist or I have no will power.

In a sentence I have only ever used it in a negative way and would love to see some positive sentences.

เสนห์ = charm

ดึงดูดใจ = attractive

จน = until

ไม่สามารถ = unable

ยับยั้งใจ = will power / resist / hold back

ผมมี่เสนห์ดึงดูดใจเมียมากจนเมียไม่สามารถยับยั้งใจไม่ให้ชอบผมได้

pom mi senay doong duut jai mia mark jon mia mai samart yab yang jai mai hai chob pom dai.

(My wife is attracted to my charm and she is unable to resist liking me.) If only it was true...

So as you can see by the highlighted bit, it is used in a negative way.

Does anyone use it differently and could share their own ways of using it.

cheers ITR :D

ผมมี่เสนห์ดึงดูดใจเมียมาก จนเมียไม่สามารถยับยั้งใจ ไม่ <ให้> ชอบผมได้

pom mi senay doong duut jai mia mark jon mia mai samart yab yang jai mai hai chob pom dai.

your thai sentence construction above reminded me of many many foreign students in the u.s., who tried their very best in english composition....

and farang professors laughed light heartedly.... throughout the reading exercises....

in the referenced english composition, the foreign students used their best language skills with the choicest vocabularies....

but then the resulting english sentences still appear, on numerous occasions, comical and unnatural in local culture and practice....

pardon me pls.... that is how i feel when i read the thai sentence construction above....

pls do not get me wrong.... imho, there is nothing grammatically erroneous about it at all....

it is just that.... when i read it within a thai context, within a thai culture and within thai practice and daily life....

it just does not come out quite right.... to the thai ears somehow.... but then again.... it could very well be my ears.... as well.... :)

any how.... at least it deserves minimally an A- :D

actually, i do admire you all immensely.... pls do keep on practising and trying.... i am much envious of all your talents.... :D:D

Edited by nakachalet

Hi,

A ***** send this picture to my gf on hi5 website. Is anyone could say me what's mean ?

(attachment)

Thank you very much !

I believe it says, "I'm sending you a message on a day when my heart is full with missing you."

Hi,

A ***** send this picture to my gf on hi5 website. Is anyone could say me what's mean ?

(attachment)

Thank you very much !

I believe it says, "I'm sending you a message on a day when my heart is full with missing you."

Thanks mate

• 3 weeks later...

ติดตาม and เดินตาม

I am not sure about this but anyways perhaps I can find out where i am going wrong:

Example: You and a friend are driving seperate cars and your friend whats you to follow here, so they say: a:ไม่รู้ทางไหน b: ไม่เป็นไร ติดตามฉัน

Example: You ask directions and the person says "follow me" (on foot): a:_______ตรงไหน b: เดินตามผม

Edited by hiero

• 2 months later...

Hi,

(attachment)

Thank you very much !

Taking one word at at time gives an almost impossible translation

The attached JPEG is about as good as I can get

post-43437-064444800 1284970013_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...
<br />
Hi,<br /><br />A ***** send this picture to my gf on hi5 website. Is anyone could say me what's mean ?<br />(attachment)<br /><br />Thank you very much !
<br /><br />I believe it says, "I'm sending you a message on a day when my heart is full with missing you."<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Agree with the translation. The word 'mén(t)' is short for 'comment' as in the "Comment" function in blogs and social networking sites such as hi5, Facebook, MySpace etc.

• 3 months later...

หน้าตา - I used this recently with the vague translation of "looks ______" (eg. She looks angry) but my Thai friend said I'm talking like Google translate :/ Any help would be appreciated!

It also might be spelled น่าตา I'm not 100% sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone help me with the use of

A) ไหนๆก็___something____

vs

B) ก็_____something____อยู่ดี.

For me they both kinda can be used in -well we had bad luck with this one so that one is alright too/we have to settle for that one cause there is nothing better- kinda phrases.

But ofcourse I am awfully wrong so any help would be appreciated ;) How -and more importantly- when to use these structures :P

tnx gusy

ตราบใดที่ดินยังไม่กลบหน้า ชีวิตก็ต้องดิ้นรนกันต่อไป

"As long as we are still alive, we shall continue our struggle."

ตราบใดที่ยังจับมือใครดมไม่ได้ตราบนั้น ใครที่ทำแล้วได้ประโยชน์ ย่อมตกเป็นผู้ต้องสงสัยได้ทั้งนั้น

"As long as there's no way to (directly) identify the perpetrator, anyone who would benefit from (the act) can be seen as a suspect."

ไม่มีการเจรจาครั้งไหน ๆประสบความสำเร็จ ตราบในจิตใจทั้งสองฝ่ายยังเปี่ยมด้วยอคติ มองไม่เห็นความดีของกันและกัน

"Discussions will never be successful as long as the minds of both sides are full of prejudice and neither side can see any good in the other."

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pom yang mai bpai Phuket.

Or, Pom mai koei bpai Phuket (I've never been to Phuket)

I get confused between ไม่ and ไม่ได้. How is ผมยังไม่ไปภูเก็ต different than ผมยังไม่ได้ไปภูเก็ต

I thought that ยังไม่ได้ implied something that is yet undone but will be in the future but I may be totally wrong.

Easy to get confused with those, happens to me too :)

As far as I know ยังไม่ไป and ยังไม่ได้ไป are the same.

As in ยังไม่กิน and ยังไม่ได้กิน although, with กิน there is the obvious implication that one will, at some point, eat :)