Brit Kid caught with ganja on Koh Tao....What do you reckon?

Mario666

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, PoorSucker said:
16 hours ago, Sapporillo said:

It's his responsibility to get his visa status in order if he chooses to wait 48 days, otherwise, after the trial, he will get fined for overstaying before leaving the country. (I know of a guy who ended up spending some time in detention (IDC) after his trial, because he didn't have enough money to pay the fine for overstaying. They wouldn't let him leave until he could come up with the cash.. 

Immigration will grant you extension as long as you are in court proceedings, no overstay problem.

You just have to go to immigration every 60 days and pay 1900 baht for extension. 

The point being that there are actions required on his part that may not be obvious to a newly minted Thai adventurist. 

The next question I would ask is what documents he'll need to present at immigration when he does go?  Obviously not a passport since he won't have that in his possession.  Does he need to prove his address is being reported properly, (etc.)?  And can it be any immigration office, or does it need to be specific ones, for example in the town where the court case is happening?

This may all seem obvious to long stay guys, but not to a noob.

24 minutes ago, impulse said:

The point being that there are actions required on his part that may not be obvious to a newly minted Thai adventurist. 

The next question I would ask is what documents he'll need to present at immigration when he does go?  Obviously not a passport since he won't have that in his possession.  Does he need to prove his address is being reported properly, (etc.)?  And can it be any immigration office, or does it need to be specific ones, for example in the town where the court case is happening?

26. Question : Is it possible for the alien having litigation or court proceedings (Being as accuser, injured person, accused, plaintiff, defendant or witness) to apply for extention of temporary stay in Thailand?

Answer : Yes. There must be evidence confirming that the applicant is involved in a litigation or court proceedings as accuser, injured person, accused, plaintiff, defendant or witness ( Confirmation letter from an inquiry official involved with the case, official paper or document confirming the applicant being involved with the said court proceedings of the case is required document.)

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=faq

From Police order 327/2557

2.26 In the case of litigation or court proceedings:
Each permission shall be granted for no more than 90 days.

(1) There must be evidence confirming that the applicant is involved in a litigation or court proceedings as accuser, injured person, accused, plaintiff, defendant, or witness.
(2) The applicant does not behave in such a way that indicating his intention to stay longer.

20 minutes ago, impulse said:

Thanks Impulse...Good questions....We all know that this kid (and at 21 he is still a kid) has been extremely stupid and was extremely naive. He was completely unaware of the seriousness of his offence or the consequences of his actions in Thailand.....He is indeed learning the hard way.

I thank everyone for your replies, some more judgemental than helpful, but it seems that the obvious action going forward is to get a good English speaking local lawyer onside ASAP.

I will post again with any news In the hope that it may help others in the future. Whether you agree with smoking weed or not I think we are all in aggreement that it is extremely foolish and even disrespectful to smoke weed in Thailand, but if there is anyone on this forum who can honestly say they have never done anything stupid or even disrespectful in their lives please make yourselves known to us on here so we can all admire you!

Cheers....Mario

4 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

26. Question : Is it possible for the alien having litigation or court proceedings (Being as accuser, injured person, accused, plaintiff, defendant or witness) to apply for extention of temporary stay in Thailand?

Answer : Yes. There must be evidence confirming that the applicant is involved in a litigation or court proceedings as accuser, injured person, accused, plaintiff, defendant or witness ( Confirmation letter from an inquiry official involved with the case, official paper or document confirming the applicant being involved with the said court proceedings of the case is required document.)

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=faq

From Police order 327/2557

2.26 In the case of litigation or court proceedings:
Each permission shall be granted for no more than 90 days.

(1) There must be evidence confirming that the applicant is involved in a litigation or court proceedings as accuser, injured person, accused, plaintiff, defendant, or witness.
(2) The applicant does not behave in such a way that indicating his intention to stay longer.

Thanks PS....Great and welcome information. :thumbsup:

The 'Bloke-in-a-pub' route never ends well....

Urgent assistance

If you’re in Thailand and you need urgent help (for example, you’ve been attacked, arrested or someone has died), call +66(0)2 305 8333. If you’re in the UK and worried about a British national in Thailand, call 020 7008 1500.

https://www.gov.uk/world/organisations/british-embassy-bangkok

Edited by evadgib

4 hours ago, transam said:

Think the ploblem with many farang youngsters is they want to carry on puffing stuff in LOS as they did back home, part of their daily life....This guy got caught, deal with it..

Trying to Transam.

On 29/09/2017 at 2:50 AM, lordblackader said:

Nope, don't take drugs in a country that has a reputation for being hard on drugs - problem solved. 

Back in the early 90's I remember me and a girl (of ill repute) getting a ride on a police motor bike from the 'Green Mango' to the 'Reggae Pub'. The three of us shared a large bottle of beer and a big joint for the whole ride. Those were the good ol' days. Now a days they will try to extort you for all they can get. 

Getting legal assistance is probably the best bet just to get him out of that jurisdiction. They will intimidate him as much as possible to see how much money they can suck out of his relatives in his home country.

55 minutes ago, TimTang said:

Back in the early 90's I remember me and a girl (of ill repute) getting a ride on a police motor bike from the 'Green Mango' to the 'Reggae Pub'. The three of us shared a large bottle of beer and a big joint for the whole ride. Those were the good ol' days. Now a days they will try to extort you for all they can get. 

Getting legal assistance is probably the best bet just to get him out of that jurisdiction. They will intimidate him as much as possible to see how much money they can suck out of his relatives in his home country.

Thanks Tim...Working on that right now.

33 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

Thanks Tim...Working on that right now.

I can't help but mention that the amount of dope smoking going on, on the Island of Samui is ASTRONOMICAL and you throw in the FULL MOON party on Koh Phangan; It's POT CENTRAL! While I'm not trying to encourage people to come to Samui to smoke pot, MILLIONS of people come every year to do just that.

The Thai authorities know this and generally turn a blind eye because they make millions of dollars every year because of this. Some how your friend or relative fell through the cracks. I wouldn't be to hard on him or call him stupid because while he's being milked for everything they can get out of him there are people walking by that very police station with a splif in their mouth without a care in the world.

They only hit people randomly to send a false image to the world that this type of behaviour is forbidden in the Land of Smiles. That's just BULLSHIT! Your friend was just an unlucky statistic. With that in mind, with the right lawyer or attitude your friend may walk out the front door with a splif in his mouth and the police will even light it for him.

From the time I spent in Samui, most of the cops smoke dope as well. It's not a big secret or anything. They are also connected with the people who sell dope. Every once in a while they'll set someone up. They know they have dope and will search until they find it. Then they go through the extortion routine that your friend is going through now. This same scenario has been repeated ad nauseum. They are underpaid (they have to pay for their own uniforms and guns) so they do this occasionally to pay the bills.

Edited by TimTang

it happens all the time, they have quota and do not accept cash all the time, especially when they already have too much of it !

he will get a 2000 baht fine and be sent back home (maybe).

not a big problem, everybody smokes on islands, but you should not carry it anywhere, just have it on the beach is ok (and also buy it on the beach).

9 hours ago, retarius said:

I can't help wishing that visitors to Thailand would obey the laws here. They seem to have the attitude that if it is not serious in the UK then they can do it here, which is disrespectful of the country.

When laws are stupid I encourage people to break them ! Anywhere in the world !

18 minutes ago, dpdp said:

it happens all the time, they have quota and do not accept cash all the time, especially when they already have too much of it !

he will get a 2000 baht fine and be sent back home (maybe).

not a big problem, everybody smokes on islands, but you should not carry it anywhere, just have it on the beach is ok (and also buy it on the beach).

You have to be careful (now) even on the beach. When I first started going to Thailand in the 90's Lamai Beach used to have a pizza shop that sold MUSHROOM pizzas. If you think weed is bad, check out a beach full of people stoned on mushrooms. Yes...those were the good ol' days. The cops were so cool back in those days. They were more like motorcycle taxis. You'd just give 'em a beer share a joint and give him a big tip and they were your best friend for the rest of your stay. Things have changed for the worse. But I still remember those days.

Edited by TimTang

5 minutes ago, TimTang said:

You have to be careful (now) even on the beach. When I first started going to Thailand in the 90's Lamai Beach used to have a pizza shop that sold MUSHROOM pizzas. If you think weed is bad, check out a beach full of people stoned on mushrooms. Yes...those were the good ol' days. The cops were so cool back in those days. They were more like motorcycle taxis. You'd just give 'em a beer share a joint and give him a big tip and they were your best friend for the rest of your trip. Things have changed for the worse. But I still remember those days.

Yes, they now send plain clothes coppers on the beach to find people smoking.

But only on Koh samui, not on KPG, except during full moon.

They also road side urine tests on Koh samui, not KPG it seems.

4 minutes ago, dpdp said:

That's really sad. Talk about killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. Samui and KPG have a universal reputation for the place to go to PAAAAAARRRRTAY. They are destroying it. I'm over it now being an old fogey but they had built a reputation that 'you haven't partied 'til you gone to Samui and KPG'. Why they would want to destroy that is beyond me. People (specifically younger people) all over the world have heard about Samui and KPG and think it would be great to try it at least once. That's Billions of dollars worth of revenue to maintain a dream that's really just a myth (I know I've been there). Rather than policing it they should turn into a Stoner Disney Land by enhancing it and making it MORE accessible. That's what I would do.

16 hours ago, dpdp said:

More road side urine tests on KPG than on Samui. 

Lived 12 years on Samui, never been stopped for road side urine test. 

On 10/1/2017 at 12:16 PM, PoorSucker said:

More road side urine tests on KPG than on Samui. 

Lived 12 years on Samui, never been stopped for road side urine test. 

Exactly just raised it with a few friends.  Between us we have over 100 years living in Samui and never even seen a roadside urine test.  Think some people need to smoke less weed and get back to the real world.