Patong police, entertainment operators ‘discuss’ opening hours

snoop1130

Patong police, entertainment operators ‘discuss’ opening hours

Shela Riva

1506680514_1-org.jpg

Patong Police Chief Col Tassanai Orarigdech (with back to camera) chairs yesterday's meeting with Patong entertainment operators. Photo: Patong Police

PHUKET:-- Patong Police Chief Col Tassanai Orarigdech told The Phuket News today that the Patong Police meeting with entertainment operators yesterday afternoon (Sept 28) was focused on ‘discussing’ operating hours after entertainment operators have continually requested later closing times.

“The meeting was with Patong business operators who have requested to extend closing hours to 3am or 4am.

“They say they need extended hours because it is low season and they do not get enough business if they close early,” said Col Tassanai.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-police-entertainment-operators-discuss-opening-hours-64103.php#EMijZ0QspXWPgjuq.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-09-29

9 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Seems like every year this dance is performed...............and nothing happens. Crackdowns are just to remind the operators that the more than 20 governmental departments still want their monthly "service" charge.

That is the sad reality ....  pigs at the trough comes to my mind.

“They say they need extended hours because it is low season and they do not get enough business if they close early....." 

That's all part and parcel of operating a business the world over!  These guys want their cake and eat it as well.  

****in pathetic bunch of clowns!

Just to close it down completely. Then nobody have anything to complain about. You can´t hardly complain over something that isn´t there, right?

This would also benefit society:

1. Smaller amount of silly drunk tourists
2. Lower noise level at night
3. Taking away a big part of the corruption
4. People are saving more money to buy souvenirs
5. Sinking customer clientel regarding prostitution.

25 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Just to close it down completely. Then nobody have anything to complain about. You can´t hardly complain over something that isn´t there, right?

You sound like a lotta fun.........

14 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

You sound like a lotta fun.........

Nja, it depends on how you look at it.

1. The always so boring arguments of opening hours, is not fun at all. Just simply boring to hear all the time.
2. Silly drunk tourist is not fun. They do better in staying home and drink in front of the TV, until they get Dilerium Tremens there instead of here.
3. Most people need to sleep. The locals have works, and a lot of pairs, children and old people on vacation does not see high noise at night as a fun part of their holiday.
4. I guess corruption is automatically something that classifies as not too funny.
5. It´s definately not funny to only have party and drunken memories of your life. Therefore you shall buy something to create a point of stronger remeberance.
6. Prostitution is illegal! That can´t possibly be considered as fun.

See, I might be the funniest guy on earth. It´s just all theese things that brings down the level of fun. :cheesy:

Edited by Get Real

19 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Nja, it depends on how you look at it.

1. The always so boring arguments of opening hours, is not fun at all. Just simply boring to hear all the time.
2. Silly drunk tourist is not fun. They do better in staying home and drink in front of the TV, until they get Dilerium Tremens there instead of here.
3. Most people need to sleep. The locals have works, and a lot of pairs, children and old people on vacation does not see high noise at night as a fun part of their holiday.
4. I guess corruption is automatically something that classifies as not too funny.
5. It´s definately not funny to only have party and drunken memories of your life. Therefore you shall buy something to create a point of stronger remeberance.
6. Prostitution is illegal! That can´t possibly be considered as fun.

See, I might be the funniest guy on earth. It´s just all theese things that brings down the level of fun. :cheesy:

Certainly an alternative viewpoint and one that I cannot really agree with in the main.

People can go out and enjoy themselves and have a few drinks and not necessarily become a "silly drunk tourist".

Having lived here for 11 years or thereabouts, I can only think of one venue from which the noise can be heard when one is close by in a hotel room. Not only that, there are many folk who live within the entertainment environs, and they actually work in those environs, so they are used to the odd hours, because they work them!

Old people on holiday, or children for that matter can always get away from the entertainment centres and will not be bothered by the noise.

Corruption is here to stay and always has been here and is not only confined to entertainment venues.

I don't know what sort of company you mix with, however I and I would suspect the majority of others, have a damn sight more than "drunken memories of their life".

Prostitution is illegal and irrespective of how you view it, it will survive with or without bars, discos and entertainment venues.

I really do see that these entertainment venue owners have a very valid point and why should they be made to close at a certain hour/time (in Patong's case, sometimes 1 AM, which is ridiculous) and they should be allowed to stay open as long as they wish and with noise restrictions in place if absolutely necessary, and as I said that will not apply to the majority of the places in Bangla Road.

After all it is an entertainment and nightlife centre and when many people come on holiday they want to let loose and have a good time into the wee small hours.

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Certainly an alternative viewpoint and one that I cannot really agree with in the main.

People can go out and enjoy themselves and have a few drinks and not necessarily become a "silly drunk tourist".

Having lived here for 11 years or thereabouts, I can only think of one venue from which the noise can be heard when one is close by in a hotel room. Not only that, there are many folk who live within the entertainment environs, and they actually work in those environs, so they are used to the odd hours, because they work them!

Old people on holiday, or children for that matter can always get away from the entertainment centres and will not be bothered by the noise.

Corruption is here to stay and always has been here and is not only confined to entertainment venues.

I don't know what sort of company you mix with, however I and I would suspect the majority of others, have a damn sight more than "drunken memories of their life".

Prostitution is illegal and irrespective of how you view it, it will survive with or without bars, discos and entertainment venues.

I really do see that these entertainment venue owners have a very valid point and why should they be made to close at a certain hour/time (in Patong's case, sometimes 1 AM, which is ridiculous) and they should be allowed to stay open as long as they wish and with noise restrictions in place if absolutely necessary, and as I said that will not apply to the majority of the places in Bangla Road.

After all it is an entertainment and nightlife centre and when many people come on holiday they want to let loose and have a good time into the wee small hours.

You are right on almost every point. Though, it´s totally irrelevant. I never said:

1. Everyone goes out and become a silly drunk tourist. What I said was: The amount of the people that do reach that stage will go down.
2. Regarding the noise level, I did not say that all venues get distrubed. I do know that it´s more than one. You also missed that "almost" all that live inside works there. Does that mean not all?
3. Old people and children families, and pairs. Should they basically be forced to move, just because some people like high noise? Not as far as I believe!
4. Never said that corruption would stop, or mentioned how long it has been here. Just pointed out that the corruption in that area would stop regarding entertainment venues. Simply because they would not be there.
5. My company was irrelevant too. I related to the silly drunk tourists. They might have a lesser capacity bank in their memory.
6. Regarding prostitution, I only stated that it was illegal and it could under no circumstances be related to fun to break the law. Never said that it would disappear. Did I?

It seems like the law states a certain hour for closing bars and entertainment venues. Why in the world should they be favoured as an excuse for bending the law for just a few?

As you can read, you misunderstood almost all of what I wrote. Or it can also be like you deliberately choosed to turn your own twist on what I wrote. What do I know?

7 minutes ago, Get Real said:

As you can read, you misunderstood almost all of what I wrote. Or it can also be like you deliberately choosed to turn your own twist on what I wrote. What do I know?

I just posted my viewpoint, simple as that!

And let the bars/entertainment venues stay open for as long as they wish because the attraction of the place (Bangla for example) is the nightlife/music/entertainment and vibrancy and folk go there for that, and if they don't want that, then they stay away.........

12 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I just posted my viewpoint, simple as that!

And let the bars/entertainment venues stay open for as long as they wish because the attraction of the place (Bangla for example) is the nightlife/music/entertainment and vibrancy and folk go there for that, and if they don't want that, then they stay away.........

Can´t do that! Law should be upheld, not broken or changed to satisfaction.

That´s the problem that I assume you and many other posters here always have a problem with. You always read complaints about not upholding the law.

Look at your reaction when they are trying to do that, and when they are trying to set clear rules. I guess as long as the laws and the rules set falls within and favour your interests they are okey. Otherwise it´s just crap! Ain´t it?

11 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Law should be upheld, not broken or changed to satisfaction.

Now that comment will surely make a lot of posters laugh!!!!

Why, well because for as long as I've been here which is just about 11 years, the laws have always been broken and very often by the very people that are supposed to enforce them, yes the BIB, and they do it when they want a little extra tea money.

I think you've missed the point about this "meeting" because as others have said, this happens on a regular basis and has nothing whatsoever to do with enforcing a law – – it is really about how they can make sure that the venue owners pay a little extra money to stay open later, which they allow provided the money is paid, or that the Bangkok police are not patrolling the place.

They have never, ever set what you call "clear rules", or should I say they have never enforced any particular rule, because bar owners will tell you that they have been informed that they can, and are allowed to, stay open anywhere between 1 AM and 4 AM, at various times.

I think everybody in the entertainment business would like it if "clear rules" were set, but they are not and they are continually allowed and encouraged to be broken, very often at the whim/behest of the BIB in order to procure more tea money.

And as for your comment about "favouring my interests, they are okay" well that's a nonsense because I don't have any "interests" in what time they open or close!

17 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Now that comment will surely make a lot of posters laugh!!!!

Why, well because for as long as I've been here which is just about 11 years, the laws have always been broken and very often by the very people that are supposed to enforce them, yes the BIB, and they do it when they want a little extra tea money.

I think you've missed the point about this "meeting" because as others have said, this happens on a regular basis and has nothing whatsoever to do with enforcing a law – – it is really about how they can make sure that the venue owners pay a little extra money to stay open later, which they allow provided the money is paid, or that the Bangkok police are not patrolling the place.

They have never, ever set what you call "clear rules", or should I say they have never enforced any particular rule, because bar owners will tell you that they have been informed that they can, and are allowed to, stay open anywhere between 1 AM and 4 AM, at various times.

I think everybody in the entertainment business would like it if "clear rules" were set, but they are not and they are continually allowed and encouraged to be broken, very often at the whim/behest of the BIB in order to procure more tea money.

And as for your comment about "favouring my interests, they are okay" well that's a nonsense because I don't have any "interests" in what time they open or close!

All that you just stated, stands exactly for why it will never change. Just because the population, and not even you as an outsider, can accept what is set as rules and laws.

I guess we just have to leave it with that. After my 17 years here you just give me a headache. Nothing more. :clap2::cheesy:

Edited by Get Real

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Just because the population, and not even you as an outsider, can accept what is set as rules and laws.

You missed it again...............never mind, but just to help you:  "the laws change" because the the BIB keep changing the laws as and when they see fit to help with tea money collection.:smile:   

Edited by xylophone

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

You missed it again...............never mind, but just to help you:  "the laws change" because the the BIB keep changing the laws.:smile:   

No they do not change the laws. They can´t, due to that they ain´t the ones that write them. They choose to enforce them or not, and to interpret them in different ways at different occasions.

Off course wrong, but as long as all people in the country not start to go by the same rules everyday and in all places, they are unfortunately automatically allowed by the people to do like they want too.

Edited by Get Real

Interesting comments.

The problem results from the law of the land not being enforced and the BiB allowing people to break it for a donation to their next Benz, mia noi or condo.

The opening hours laws are different for the types of business being run; beer bar, music/karaoke bar, restaurant, disco etc.

Trouble is, if I remember correctly, the licenses are issued by the police leaving the whole thing open to corruption.

The licenses should be issued by the local Ampur with only police recommendation on the venue's history of trouble or complaints.

What is being asked for cannot be allowed if it is outside of the law of the land.

This needs lawyers (unfortunately) not a discussion or committee, so the legal requirements of the current licence held is complied with and laws are adhered to.

But who am I kidding...

:burp::guitar:

Dont stop the Thais from drinking Any day is a good day for them These rules are made so they have a meeting and mind you get well paid to attend meeting Notice the soldiers sitting in there why? Are they planing an attack on beer bottles Good example Wife owns resturant  Said to me some buddist holy day cant remember because so many holidays here and we cant sell beer No drinking today is the rule I said ok Anyway as the day went on Thai customers came in and guess what?They had  Beer whiskey you name it and were drinking lots. So it proves to me how much notice do they really take of these rules

Like the stupid rule You cant buy beer at supermarket before 11 and from 2-5 what a bloody joke when you can down the road and buy anytime from bottle shops and corner shops. Surely  the government could not be that stupid and make the law " All for one and one for All"  Ok another meeting good money to be made .

16 hours ago, Get Real said:

No they do not change the laws. They can´t, due to that they ain´t the ones that write them. They choose to enforce them or not, and to interpret them in different ways at different occasions.

Ah yes, I thought that would be understood, because by allowing them to be enforced or not AND telling the venue owners that they can stay open to various times really means that as far as they are concerned, the "law has been changed for them" on any given night that the BIB wishes..........and this makes life difficult for them.

A 1/1.30 am curfew or closing time for venues in a world famous holiday entertainment centre is a nonsense.........make it 4 am and enforce it!! The venue owners want it, but the problem being is that the BIB and others with snouts in the trough will lose income if that is the case, so they don't want it.

20 hours ago, Get Real said:

More money to buy sovenirs!!??

Tacky carvings usually made from a hardwood that was harvested unsustainably.

At least prostitution is totally environmentally friendly and sustainable. 

On 9/30/2017 at 4:33 PM, Get Real said:

:omfg: