Pattaya as Miami? You're 'aving a laugh suggests Thai media.

rooster59

10 hours ago, DD13 said:

More sand in those "sandbags"  than there is on the beach

Do they have Chinese kids "pooing"on the walkway in Miami ??

&

Aggresive jet ski/ motor boat morons roaming around trying to intimidate people and make them feel threatened and uncomfortable. ??

Apparently as thais see the two cities as twins.  I can just picture Miami 

I really think that the authorities that be need to be taken on a tour of the most populaire tourist beach destinations. They might be shocked into reality ! First qualifications are pristine beaches with clean water , clean and orderly streets and roads, smart restaurants ,,shops and bars,

good hotels, safe transport choices, law and order, qualified staff . Only some good hotels are on this list . Foreigners living here just take for granted the filth, disgusting drains that stink, and the general " don't care " attitude of the people.New tourists here don't find it so " exotic" and Thailand has a lot of bad press abroad. Those who do come here in masses, Chinese, Russians, neighboring Asian countries ( India/Malaysia etc) come because they get cheap packages. Others come for the pretty girls and boys. Not many are attracted to the " beautiful scenery and nature " anymore, the one time wonders of Thailand are long spoilt. 

Crikey.  I live in Melbourne Florida and the beach here is world class compared to Pattaya.  Have had many trips to Pattaya and it just gets frustrating that what is a naturally pretty scenic area had such terrible infrastructure, sewage, drainage, beach maintenance, etc.  I love to swim in the ocean and over the years just came to accept that even Jomtien or Naklua beaches just were not usable for swimming.  Too bad because Jomtien beach road really used to be pretty cool. Could take a nice long walk, hop off anywhere and rent a chair and take a snooze.  Go for a dip, etc.

20 hours ago, mikebell said:

With all the money flowing into Pattaya you'd think the authorities could afford working sidewalks; proper parking; a police force; sand; litter bins; drains.  Please feel free to add.

Unfortunately, 'lots of less aromatic stuff "flowing" into Pattaya as well...

Thailand supplying the world with yet another laugh riot.

Edited by hawker9000

This came to mind as I was struggling to get anywhere in Pattaya Thursday night. What with either blocked pavements or no pavements and half finished and messy construction causing blockages, traffic that gives no regard and beggars, scroungers, hawkers and hookers everywhere.

World Class.... what a giggle. Still, had a good night out!

16 hours ago, newnative said:

I've been to Miami enough times to know it's not a place where I'd want to live.  Too big, too expensive, too congested, and too dangerous.  I love an ocean view; it will cost you an arm and a leg in Miami--in high condo fees and expensive hurricane insurance, not to mention higher condo prices.  My ocean view here in Pattaya only costs me about $78 USA dollars a month in condo maintenance fees.  Same year-round warm weather as Miami but much cheaper--and a city that is more the size of what I like.   But, that's just my preference.   Different strokes for different folks.

Oh god!  Nuff said.....

But

Do you know that we are talking about: Miami Beach??

Pattaya is more congested ( big time)

Has a bigger population probably x 10

No where near as dangerous as Pattaya ( again Miami Beach) 

and if you can see the ocean from your room it's filthy dude. Also if you purchased a beach front Condo in Miami 15 years ago it would be worth way more than a condo in Pattaya 15 years ago and people would actually want to buy it. Many people would want to buy it over the asking price. Just like Pattaya lol. 

Yup. Different strokes. 

Edited by alex8912
Changes

8 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Crikey.  I live in Melbourne Florida and the beach here is world class compared to Pattaya.  Have had many trips to Pattaya and it just gets frustrating that what is a naturally pretty scenic area had such terrible infrastructure, sewage, drainage, beach maintenance, etc.  I love to swim in the ocean and over the years just came to accept that even Jomtien or Naklua beaches just were not usable for swimming.  Too bad because Jomtien beach road really used to be pretty cool. Could take a nice long walk, hop off anywhere and rent a chair and take a snooze.  Go for a dip, etc.

I lived in Central Florida, not far from Daytona the first 30 of my 50 years on earth. I do not recall ever seeing as much as a spectre of garbage on the Atlantic Beach side of Florida.

Pattaya beaches are a pathetically far cry from anything on the East Coast of Florida, nor the US in general.

BTW this thread is not about condo prices nor hooker prices (though Pattaya wins hands-down on the latter).

2 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Oh god!  Nuff said.....

But

Do you know that we are talking about: Miami Beach??

Pattaya is more congested ( big time)

Has a bigger population probably x 10

No where near as dangerous as Pattaya ( again Miami Beach) 

and if you can see the ocean from your room it's filthy dude. Also if you purchased a beach front Condo in Miami 15 years ago it would be worth way more than a condo in Pattaya 15 years ago and people would actually want to buy it. Many people would want to buy it over the asking price. Just like Pattaya lol. 

Yup. Different strokes. 

Miami Beach may be smaller than Pattaya but it's part of the Miami Metropolitan Area of 6 million people.  Too big for me.  Others may love it.  Yes, a condo bought 15 years ago in Miami has increased more than a condo in Pattaya--but it still has the high insurance and condo fees relative to Pattaya.  And, we're living in the here and now, not 15 years ago.  For my rather small retirement budget, Pattaya works better. 

Would I like a cleaner ocean and less traffic congestion?  Of course.  (On the plus side, the ocean looks clean from 29 stories up and I prefer to swim in a pool.)  I put both of those things in the Negative Column but my Positive  Column is still longer--and has big ticket items like Cost of Living and Health Care.  For those with a longer Negative Column, I wonder why you are here.

3 hours ago, newnative said:

Miami Beach may be smaller than Pattaya but it's part of the Miami Metropolitan Area of 6 million people.  Too big for me.  Others may love it.  Yes, a condo bought 15 years ago in Miami has increased more than a condo in Pattaya--but it still has the high insurance and condo fees relative to Pattaya.  And, we're living in the here and now, not 15 years ago.  For my rather small retirement budget, Pattaya works better. 

Would I like a cleaner ocean and less traffic congestion?  Of course.  (On the plus side, the ocean looks clean from 29 stories up and I prefer to swim in a pool.)  I put both of those things in the Negative Column but my Positive  Column is still longer--and has big ticket items like Cost of Living and Health Care.  For those with a longer Negative Column, I wonder why you are here.

I fail to see what your logic is about cost of living etc on whatever budget, when the topic is garbage beaches VS clean beaches.

Pattaya Beach is a sewer. Miami Beach, Melbourne, Port St. Lucie, Daytona, on up to Jacksonville...clean as a whistle except for storm related flotsam (aka seaweed).

Here's Port St. Lucie, just North of Miami an hour++ or so.

Keep an eye out for the rubbish/garbage...Oops. you won't see any. Nice to watch though.

Not sure how they got by w/o beach vendors and touts trying to sell you shit you could care less about at the beach either??

Edited by jaywalker

Answer is

If its cheap and not so cheerful then pat, but if you like standards Miami is far better by a long way.

I have to say I dislike Miami after walking in Biscayne Blvd many years ago and saw something that scared the hell out of me, but I was only young then.

Patt visited once and decided within hours it was not for me as fed up with falling over broken pavements, bullSh>> taxi drivers and being hounded by women or ladyboys and the beach was dirty even then. So went to Hau Hin much nicer, safer and the beach was clean.

Oh how the old days bring back good memories.