Computer glitch means Thais can't use automatic gates at airport

rooster59

Computer glitch means Thais can't use automatic gates at airport

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvNzM4LzM2OTIyMTgvbmV3czA0LmpwZw==.jpg

Image: Sanook

An embarrassed immigration spokesman was forced to admit that the electronic passport gates used by Thais at Suvarnabhumi were unusable.

Responding to stories on social media he confirmed that there were just two officials on the desks available to check incoming Thai people.

But Kritsana Pattanacharoen refused to blame the machines themselves saying it was the fault of the company that sends the passport reading signal and some connectivity issues with a server.

He confirmed that things were back to normal yesterday morning after the glitch.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-30

" But Kritsana Pattanacharoen refused to blame the machines themselves saying it was the fault of the company that sends the passport reading signal and some connectivity issues with a server."

Mr. Kritsana Pattanacharoen obviously has no experience as a bus driver in Thailand as his contradictory statement indicates.

4 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Like I said before, nothing Thailand 4.0 will be good. Wait for 4.1 or 4.2l

Does that one come like a downloadable update?
Is it going to be mandatory?
Is it containing malware, like the main program seems to do? :cheesy:

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Actually, no different to the temporary computer glitches that people like Facebook etc suffer from time to time. Last time I went to the USA there was a two-hour wait because the immigration system was down.

The difference is that in Thailand, you don't expect anything to work.  When it does, it's a bonus.

There seem to be a lot of computer glitches happening at the moment:shock1:

Worldwide airport chaos after computer check-in systems crash

Air passengers have been suffering major disruption at airports around the world after computer check-in systems crashed.

Problems were reported at airports including London's Heathrow and Gatwick, Charles de Gaulle in Paris,  Zurich, Melbourne, Johannesburg, Changi in Singapore and Washington DC's Reagan Airport.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/28/worldwide-airport-chaos-check-in-computer-systems-crash/

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have used the Auto-gates in the UAE and they always function seamlessly and quickly. 

In contrast I've never encountered a smooth experience using the Auto-gates at London Heathrow where there is usually Chaos as the gates work intermittently.

Always worked perfectly for at Heathrow. 

6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Always worked perfectly for at Heathrow. 

Last time I used them a third were shut. As I passed an official who was doing nothing at all except standing there watching the long queue I asked why a third were shut. She said they weren't. But you can't argue with stupid.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Last time I used them a third were shut. As I passed an official who was doing nothing at all except standing there watching the long queue I asked why a third were shut. She said they weren't. But you can't argue with stupid.

I’ve never had a problem with them or the staff on duty at them. 

Edited by Bluespunk

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I used them early-morning at T-4 a month ago, between one-third and a-half were not being used, been that way for ages IME with no discernable improvement.

British Airways' passengers arriving late-night at T-5 were also reported as being very upset, when most of the automatic-gates shut-down, despite there being a lot of people on late-arriving flights.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41051140

"British Airways has criticised Border Force over "serious inefficiencies" that have caused both citizens and visitors to endure long delays at UK airports.  The airline is concerned that only a third of the 29 electronic passport gates are open at Heathrow Terminal 5.  BA says the gates shut prematurely at 23:00 while customers are still disembarking, causing huge queues."

IMO they're a good idea, if they can ever be made to work properly, and at a time when arriving-passengers need them. But perhaps the computers have a union which demands they rest at night ? :whistling:

On 10/1/2017 at 4:56 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I have used the Auto-gates in the UAE and they always function seamlessly and quickly. 

In contrast I've never encountered a smooth experience using the Auto-gates at London Heathrow where there is usually Chaos as the gates work intermittently.

Snap. Only problems I have had in Dubai were (a) with the old fingerprint gates (I have almost none after burns as a child) and last time coming back from BKK after an eye op - of course the retinal image had changed. New scan taken, records updated and through in less than five minutes. Terminal 5 at Heathrow last week however was a shambles.