On Uk Fiancee Visa's .... Again!

Hi All,

I'm a new poster here although I have been following this forum for quite a few months. I've read quite a few sections which relate to this post, but I am after some updated information (2007).

Basically, about a year and a half ago I met my now Fiancee in Thailand. I travelled here 3 times and she travelled to Malta (an EU country and my place of nationality) to meet me there. In September we filed for a visitor visa to the UK where I have been a resident for 2 years and work as a marketing manager. Despite giving tons of paper work and evidence to show that I can support her etc, her visa was rejected because of insufficient evidence she will return to thailand. My girlfriend owns some property here and is in full time employment as a Marketing Officer.

Anyway, things moved on since, and last week I popped the question and she gladly accepted. Therefore, we now want to apply for a fiancee visa. Given that, she has an excellent educational background, a reputable job with a reputable company, owns property (but doesnt have much cash in a bank account), and that I have an above average income, plus my own business as well as live alone in a two bedroom rented house what else should we look out for or be prepared for. Dont fancy another rejection on some pathetic grounds :o

Thanks all for your help, and keep up this great forum. From now on I will become an active member :D

Trigger,

You are a national of an EEA country exercising a treaty right in the UK. These rights are automatically extended to your spouse, even if she is a citizen of a non-EEA country. You might, therefore, wish to consider getting married in Thailand and then applying for a family permit for your wife. Family permit applications are free and are judged by a different piece of legislation, so the qualifying conditions are less stringent than for a normal settlement visa.

If you wish to marry in the UK, your girlfriend will have to obtain a fiancée visa at a cost of £260.00.

Scouse.

Trigger,

You are a national of an EEA country exercising a treaty right in the UK. These rights are automatically extended to your spouse, even if she is a citizen of a non-EEA country. You might, therefore, wish to consider getting married in Thailand and then applying for a family permit for your wife.

Thanks scouser,

However, we want to first apply for a fiancee visa then get married in the UK if we must or in Malta if we can, and only later in Thailand for her family to see. I was told that since I am a UK resident and an EU national I must still apply for this Fiancee visa with the UK embassy, not involving the Maltese anywhere.

If you wish to marry in the UK, then your girlfriend will have to apply for the fiancée visa from the British embassy. However, if you were to marry in Malta, your girlfriend could then seek a free family permit from the British High Commission in Valetta.

Scouse.

Trigger,

You are a national of an EEA country exercising a treaty right in the UK. These rights are automatically extended to your spouse, even if she is a citizen of a non-EEA country. You might, therefore, wish to consider getting married in Thailand and then applying for a family permit for your wife. Family permit applications are free and are judged by a different piece of legislation, so the qualifying conditions are less stringent than for a normal settlement visa.

If you wish to marry in the UK, your girlfriend will have to obtain a fiancée visa at a cost of £260.00.

Scouse.

Ooops ! 260 pounds is indeed the figure set by Parliament but Parliament also permits Embassies to charge up to ten percent more on the exchange rate . So although the pound trades at 68/69 the Embassy currently uses an exchange rate of 75 to the pound in payment for fees.. Therefore 285 plus application fee of around five pounds makes the fee currently payable 290 pounds . Only Thai baht drafts are acceptable at the outsourcing office on Rajdamri ....even cash is unacceptable there and has to be used to purchase a draft at double the usual draft fee. .

Topfield,

We all know this, but, again, you've missed the point.

The point being that rather than pay x amount for a fiancée visa, the possibility exists for Trigger's wife to get a family permit absolutely gratis.

If one were to include every and, if, and but in every post, they would go on ad infinitum, and would serve no useful purpose.

Ultimately, the visa will cost what it costs. If you feel aggrieved about the embassy fiddling the exchange rate, then please lobby your MP.

Chill out and loosen up a bit.

Scouse.

Topfield,

We all know this, but, again, you've missed the point.

The point being that rather than pay x amount for a fiancée visa, the possibility exists for Triggers wife to get a family permit absolutely gratis.

If one were to include every and, if, and but in every post, they would go on ad infinitum, and would serve no useful purpose.

Ultimately, the visa will cost what it costs. If you feel aggrieved about the embassy fiddling the exchange rate, then please lobby your MP.

Chill out and loosen up a bit.

Scouse.

Understood. You are quite right. I apologise.