Are Land Borders easier than Airports?

Good afternoon all,

To get back on the subject, I am currently in Phnom Penh where I applied for a tourist visa.

Because I have many visa exemption stamps on my 3 years old passport, although only 4 so far for 2017, I had some hassles to get the visa but it should be sorted now.

Please note that I had only one previous tourist visa, issued in my home country in 2017.

I have now the choice between booking a plane ticket to dmk, booking a really more expensive one to BKK OR go by land crossing.

What option sounds the best regarding immigration checkpoint. If land the best, which route would you recommend. I have EU passport from G7 country although I don't think it changes anything as I have now a tourist visa. Thanks

19 minutes ago, prb said:

What option sounds the best regarding immigration checkpoint. If land the best, which route would you recommend. I have EU passport from G7 country although I don't think it changes anything as I have now a tourist visa. Thanks

It is very unlikely that you will have a problem entering with a visa whatever you decide. Have 20,000 baht equivalent in cash or travelers' checks. If you want to reduce the risk from very unlikely to essentially nil, enter by land avoiding Poipet. One reasonably easy (but time consuming) option is to travel to Koh Kong, entering Thailand at Hat Lek (Trat province) in Thailand from where it takes about seven hours to reach Bangkok by road. There is an airport not too far from the border in Trat with Bangkok Airways flights to Bangkok at exorbitant prices for this monopoly route. Various other options for entering by land exist, none of them super convenient.

1 hour ago, prb said:

To get back on the subject, I am currently in Phnom Penh where I applied for a tourist visa.

Because I have many visa exemption stamps on my 3 years old passport, although only 4 so far for 2017, I had some hassles to get the visa but it should be sorted now.

Please note that I had only one previous tourist visa, issued in my home country in 2017.

I have now the choice between booking a plane ticket to dmk, booking a really more expensive one to BKK OR go by land crossing.

At this point, I don't see the reports indicating one Bangkok airport is any less hostile than the other to repeat / longer-term tourist-visitors - and you seem to fit that category - as did I, until recently.  It's luck=of-the-draw if they say nothing and stamp you in, or ... (???)

For this reason, when returning from PP with a Tourist Visa (since Poipet became unfriendly), I have taken a bus to Battambang (~$7), then a taxi to Ban Laem (~$8), then entered Thailand at that point.  

There are various mini-bus options from the Thai-side to Bangkok and elsewhere earlier in the day.  Later in the day your choices decline, but you should have options to Chanthaburi, from which you can get onward-transportation that day or the next. 

If you've never been to Chanthaburi, it is nice to visit for a short time (gem market, fish-market, temples, etc).

• Thanks 1